ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nicks 172 Cup From The Start!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So not a great deal of an update, got a second Corbeau Revolution to go with the drivers seat. Went for a normal szie this time and the Xl was uber comfy but didnt hold you as well as I wanted and I was in for a bit of a shock, it was quite a bit smaller than the xl but thankfully I just fit! Squeezed into it and it holds you well but would prefer to shed a few lbs and be secure and comfy! :) With the seat I went for 2 pairs of Corbeau alloy sidemounts in silver as the Omp ones weighed a tonne! Also got a TRS towstrap off of ebay, cheaper than a toweye and think it looks better personally!

DSC02678.jpg

DSC02672.jpg

Then yesterday finally got the Cup out on a full open pit trackday. It was an absolute riot and soo much fun, was a bit heavyhanded at first going hot into the odd corner but after two back-to-back tuition sessions with one of the instructors it made the world of difference and was carrying a lot more speed as well as having the confidence to brake later. Also being a lot smoother on/off the accelerator/brake and with a bit of trailbreaking helped no end! I was staggered at how quick the clios can really be, keeping up there with some much more expensive/track inspired cars and I was on some average/soft coilovers!

Heres a few pictures of the day anyways...

ALX_9721.jpg

ALX_9304.jpg

ALX_2428.jpg

ALX_1603.jpg

ALX_1487.jpg

ALX_1087.jpg

ALX_1043.jpg

Nick

Clio 172
Just had a very enjoyable read through. Really like what youve done. Jms manifold looks good, how does the car feel with that?

clio 172 cup, aprilia rsv
looking good nick m8! trackday looked like fun, had to do snetterton in the rain on my gsxr a few years ago, that deffo wasnt fun! where you been working recently? havnt sen u around on a while

Cheers chaps!

Just had a very enjoyable read through. Really like what youve done. Jms manifold looks good, how does the car feel with that?

Yeah the RS-2 is fantastic, even better on track as you get a lot more low down torque than the standard manifold and makes peak power on the Rev limiter so perfectly suited on track! Oh and its very useable on the road also. :)

looking good nick m8! trackday looked like fun, had to do snetterton in the rain on my gsxr a few years ago, that deffo wasnt fun! where you been working recently? havnt sen u around on a while

Cheers matey, sod doing a bike trackday in the rain! Ha, been working in earley and bagshot also, where abouts have you been?

clio 172 cup, aprilia rsv
been in caversham m8, absolute nightmare at the moment, spent the last 3 days trying to track cables joints etc that the contractors "have done"........

172 Cup
That looks awesome mate! Perfect mods!

Was the tow strap hard to get to fit? I've been tempted by these myself.

been in caversham m8, absolute nightmare at the moment, spent the last 3 days trying to track cables joints etc that the contractors "have done"........

Sounds about right matey!

That looks awesome mate! Perfect mods!

Was the tow strap hard to get to fit? I've been tempted by these myself.

Nah it's piece of piss to fit matey, get a bolt the same size diameter and thread as the toweye and then bolt it in. You need to also enlarge the hole on the tow strap mount but other than that its plain sailing!

Clio 172
How have u fitted your tow strap mate? have u just bolted in the original hole behind the bumper and pulled the loop through the hole in the grill? Ive done this on mine but theres a load of the strap behind the bumper where its been stitched and wont bend.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Defo well worth it :) think I'll have to jump in again when it's done ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So should of updated this a bit sooner but ho hum, quite a few things have changed of late!

Went to JMS after having the RS-2 fitted and enquired about the RS-2 xtra they are providing as no comprimise option, decided to go for it and get mine upgraded. Heres the rolling road results from just fitting the extended runner length without updating the remap.

Before RS-2 Xtra -

img001.jpg

After RS-2 Xtra -

img003.jpg

3bhp gain peak and 8lb ft gain peak which isn't too bad! Tom@JMS and Charlie at SRR reckoned with another rolling road mapping session and cold weather I may well hit the 200bhp mark, but for the time being i'm more than happy with it as is and if I come into a spare £300 i'd go for some more mapping.

Then I went to Silverstone for Trax, show itself was pretty bad but managed to get a session out on track. A lovely track to drive but only managing to get a couple of laps in before some schoolboy smashed it into the pit wall, I wanted to do more! Will be definately doing this circuit next year! Whilst I was up there I popped 30 minutes away west to pick up a set of 2118's that had been used on a rally car, they were a mess when I got them and praying to god they were straight. There was a little damage on them but once acid dipped and refurbished they were as good as new!

After all the hassle I had with the last OMP cage I purchased, a 6 point bolt in cage that had come out of clio came up for sale. Needless to say I snapped the guys hand off and got it home. Unfortunately the next day when I went to properly fit it then cage didnt too well at all, I took it round to a local race prep company and there words were.... "This is an abortion of a cage, that needs a lot of work to even fit properly!" Felt pretty gutted as from the for sale pictures it fitted well, so decided to sell it on. A guy who does sprints took it off my hands knowing that it needed work.

Managed to get a few pictures of the wheels andcage together, miss the feeling of having a cage fitted! :(

5118988986_cd8c40995f_z.jpg

5118989668_9df6cffd5f_z.jpg

5118387755_a1ec0e7960_z.jpg

Next thing on the agenda was Snetterton again. An epic day that started off wet, then went really greasy as it dried up and in the afternoon dried up completely. Gave a good mix of driving in the conditions, did have a couple of 'dab of oppo' moments also ;)

ALX_2783.jpg

ALX_3080.jpg

ALX_3972.jpg

ALX_3744.jpg

Ordered a few more things after Snetterton, for suspension in the end I went for the FK Konigsports, height and dampening adjustable which is what I was after and seems that they will do the job nicely as I know a few locals run these with no complaints whatsoever. Also went for 25mm a side spacers for the front and 13mm a side spacers for the rear to widen the track, going to run a bit more camber also. Looking at running between 2.5/3 degrees on the front and 1.75/2 degrees on the rear.

Also ordered some front carbon doorcards, worked out a different way of opening the door without the handles themselves, similar to the Burpspeed race car but a little more simple. Will reveal all once the doorcards are on! ;) Got a set of reasonably new R888's today to fit onto the 2118's.

Should get some pictures up in a couple of days, hopeing to have this all sorted by the weekend when me and few of the locals are off to Brands Hatch for another trackday!

A few other things on the horizon also, got a set of standard clio front lights coming as i'm going to gut them and fit a duct into the passenger side to provide a cold air feed to the RS-2. Also got a set of lockable aercatches also so I can cut the inner skin out of the bootlid to save weight. Looking at cutting the inner skin out of the bonnet also and fit a another set of lockable aercatches on there also so the bonnet is detachable and lighter.

Think thats about it for the time being, after all of this i'm propably going to leave things as is and focus on getting a load more trackdays under my belt, purchased an EasyTrack 5 day pass so that should get things off to a good start next year! :)

Hope you enjoyed the read!

Nick

TrackCar & F30 330d
A nice update.

With cutting the second skin out of the boot, best thing to do it sit in the boot with a marker pen and close the boot door, Then draw round the rubber seal, then you can cut all the bits out and the boot will still be water tight and wont leak.

With cutting the second skin out of the bonnet, ONLY CUT THE MIDDLE BIT OUT. Leave the rest of it in. the bonnet is really too weak and will bend your bonnet pins.

:)

A nice update.

With cutting the second skin out of the boot, best thing to do it sit in the boot with a marker pen and close the boot door, Then draw round the rubber seal, then you can cut all the bits out and the boot will still be water tight and wont leak.

With cutting the second skin out of the bonnet, ONLY CUT THE MIDDLE BIT OUT. Leave the rest of it in. the bonnet is really too weak and will bend your bonnet pins.

:)

Cheers for the heads up matey, much appreciated! Wanting to go super lightweight much like yours, and then finish it off with a cage like yours also! :) Would like a passenger ride in yours sometime next year if your doing any trackdays? Love the no compromise mental cars like yours!

TrackCar & F30 330d
Oh thanks mate, its good to hear someone likes my way of thinking lol.

Your Cup must be pretty light as it is. My 182 is around 850kg with a 40kg cage atm. I plan to get it to 800kg by march/april. 250bhp per ton :D

Lol mine weighs 920kg with half a tank of fuel and 20kg's worth of bits and bobs in the car. I'd like to be just a shaving under 200bhp per tonne at the wheels with a roll cage/plumbed in fire extinguisher etc so if I did want to enter a race series i'd be alright, as I know some competitions state you need to be under 200bhp per tonne. 250bhp per tonne is a lot! :evil:

looking good Nicholas, much much prefere the black 2118s.

The only clio on the road at the moment with the RS2 xtra!

172 ph1
Hi Nick, really nice car and gave me some ideas

What have your experiences been on track with the addition of the rear anti roll bar? Has it made the rear a lot more nervous? I mostly drive on the 'Ring where stability is vital

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Nick, was this DannyR's old cage? I know it was modded by the owner after him as all Danny did was paint it lol, cars looking good ;)

Hi Nick, really nice car and gave me some ideas

What have your experiences been on track with the addition of the rear anti roll bar? Has it made the rear a lot more nervous? I mostly drive on the 'Ring where stability is vital

I've found with the Whiteline its made the car a litte more lively, but only in terms of better turn in and more adjustability. I ran it on hard with my Vmaxx coilovers and its was vastly better than without it! Really depends on your driving style as to how much oversteer you'll get, if your a reasonably smooth driver then you'll be fine but if your quite on off with the throttle/brakes you may have a few moments with it!

Nick, was this DannyR's old cage? I know it was modded by the owner after him as all Danny did was paint it lol, cars looking good ;)

Yeah was Dannys cage, was a nice cage but because it ddnt fit that well and couldnt be bothered with modifying a bolt in cage I sold it on to save for a full weld in like Chris (chrispy.clio). :)

Got an end of year update to do with what else has been done and further things to be done to the Cup.

So another update and probably the last one for the year.

Finished the first year of trackdays in the Cup doing 3 full openpit trackdays and 2 track sessions at car shows, here's a few pictures from this year...

ALX_9721.jpg

ALX_1043.jpg

ALX_3744.jpg

ALX_2783.jpg

ALX_8601.jpg

ALX_7849.jpg

ALX_7235.jpg

This has definately giving me the bug so next year i've booked onto the Easytrack 5 trackday bundle to do throughout the summer and will no doubt be doing a couple more in the spring/autumn/winter months.

Got the FK Konigsport coilovers fitted and with the spacers, got all the tracking/camber sorted but the only thing I need now is some 1 degree camber shims for the rear. Very impressed with the whole setup now, so much more responsive with regards to turn in and balance, feels a million times better than that Vmaxxs I had previous. Heres a few snaps of the camber/spaceage/lowness! ;)

DSC04116.jpg

DSC04113.jpg

DSC04112.jpg

DSC04109.jpg

Also a few snaps of the RS-2 Xtra, think i'm the only one in existance with Xtra now so pretty exclusive! ;)

DSC04126.jpg

DSC04127.jpg

DSC04128.jpg

Been very impressed with the car, has showed some rather tasty/powerful cars up this year plus it hasnt skipped a beat! A few things to do in the new year though, need to change the speedo sensor going into the gearbox as its only just started to play up and a small service, not bad for an old girl on 111,885! :)

Oh and also got these goodies already sitting upstairs waiting to go in/on ;)

DSC04132.jpg

Cheers
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.