ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Next lens after the basic 18-55?

Monaco 172
Right I purchased a Canon 1100D in January to get some nice shots of when I go travelling next year so I'm need of advice of the next lens to buy as I already have the 18-55 kit with a UV Filter.

I'm after a lens with good zoom and also can be suitable for action shots as I use my camera when Skateboarding, would go for a fisheye but they are silly money for my first DSLR.

Price isn't too much of an issue but would rather keep it under £200, cheaper would be better as it's going to be a gift from the other half.

Thanks.

RB 182 Cup
Sports photography can be tricky on a cheaper lens.

In order to use a fast shutter speed you need a fast lens, one with a maximum wide aperture.

The problem with cheaper zooms is that the generally only go down to f3.5 - f4.5 or so.

You're absolutely right, a fish eye with a f2 or so lens will cost a fortune.

A fixed (prime) 50mm f1.8 lens will be difficult to use as you have to move fore and aft rather than the lens, but it will allow you to use faster shutter speeds without under exposing the shot or causing unintentional blur.

You're other option is to push you ASA upto 800 or more, you'll lose definition, but it will allow you to use a faster shutter speed.

You can however use other methods to ensure enough light, purposefully make the pictures grainy (read arty) by using a high ASA setting or pan the camera whilst using slower shutter speeds.

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
I bought a canon with 2 lenses, the 18-55 and the 55-250. They are both good lenses as standard, but no I am finding it annoying swapping between the lenses to get the shots that I want, which doesn't help the camera opening it up to the elements. Due to this I am thinking of changing to just one lens, the 18-270 by Tamron seems to be a good lens and is an option. One thing to also consider, is alot of the quality of the photo will depend on the lens, so a good quality lens always helps.
Also looking to the future, all Canon fitments are the same, so if you were to upgrade your camera, the lens will still fit.

RB 182 Cup
Or also you could invest in a decent flash, but I'm not a fan of artificial lighting, read not very good at using it!

As you'll be well aware after playing with the camera for a while now, sometimes you get an amazing shot and sometimes you don't. For me, the fun is trying to get that amazing photo and every once and a while I do get something I love, but also remember that photography is art and it's subjective. If you're doing it as a hobby, you should be looking at getting images you like, there's always going to be someone that says "I don't like it", "why have you taken a photo of someone skating? there's such a beautiful hill over there" etc etc

Good luck

I have this lens and am yet to like it!

A 50mm is a very odd choice on crop sensor. Too long for most scenes and far too short for sports applications. It does however make a reasonable portrait lens, but not many on here are into shooting people.

The 50mm prime is an amazing quality lens IMO - it's just finding the occasion to use it.

I find it hard to use in most circumstances for exactly the reasons Brazo mentioned, however, when used the results rarely disappoint.

A great example was when I went to the Cosford Royal Air Museum and made a point of sticking to my prime. After a whole day I ended up keeping 7 out of around 90 shots because finding the right distance/crop was tough.

The quality of some of my shots was great - just a shame about my creative input!

7181898717_9d1d1d982c_z.png

MIG-21PF by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Another one - just for good measure:

7355411904_d95b6782c6_z.png

Carbon Wrapped Detail by Tom Cash, on Flickr

With that said, I find I hardly use my 50mm compared to my 18-55 and 55-250.

The telephoto is just so much more versatile.

The telephoto can be used almost anywhere and it will open many doors for you to really start getting into new areas of photography that you may have not tried before, such as motorsport, wildlife and aviation.

Without a shadow of a doubt you want to get yourself a good telephoto!

Anyway, a 50mm prime by far, does not match your spec. Why are we even talking about this?!

Last edited:

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
After the 18-55 I went for a 55-200. I wanted it because I felt that 55mm was just too short especially for shooting motorsport, wildlife etc. Then I got my 35 1.8 and its brilliant, stays on the camera most of the time just for general shooting, but still, when you’re starting out I’d get the tele before a prime, although its down to what you shoot.

Yeah the 50mm f1.8 is a stunning lens for the money - but on a crop sensor I'd use a 28mm f1.8 more.
I actually have the 50mm f1.4 in my bag with my 70-200 but most shows I do I borrow my mates 28mm as it allows me to get a bit closer and shoot indoors