ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie...

Clio 172 Monaco Blue 7/46
Hi Guys (& Girls)

Got my 52reg 172 a couple of weeks back, mint condition and low mileage so still very chuffed. Bit gutted the sun is out so much now as i got rid of an fully loaded Phase 3 MR2 convertible :(

Anyway back to the post - a couple of things have come to my attention since driving the car everyday that you wouldnt notice on a test drive/look around. The car had its 36k service as part of the deal when i bought it but...

1 - After a lengthy drive i opened the boot to get something and noticed it was very warm inside, i lifted the carpet and felt the area above the exhaust box - it was very very warm, i looked under the car and the heat shield is there and the exhaust looks a-ok - does anyone else suffer from the same problem or know what this might be??

2 - The aircon blows in hot air on the motorway when its turned right up for fan speed but right down for temperature???

3 - When i reverse out of my drive in the mornings on about half lock (reversing to the right) as i drop down onto the road there is a 'knock' noise from the right hand front side, maybe suspension?!?!

Thanks for any help advice you can give. Oh and im very broke at the mo but would like to lower the car in the future - standard 16's, continental tyres but what would be the best kit for a nicely decked look - beyond 30mm ideally...

Cheers,

Marcus

audi a6 3.0tdi
i can't really help on any of those things but welcome to cliosport i'm sure some one will be along to help you soon :)

Renault Clio 1.2 RL
i can answer 2 & 3

2) i have the same problem. unfortuntly the fan isnt able to stop the hot air form the engine coming through. even when cold air temp is selected. happens on mine too. the thing with not having air con :dapprove:

3) at a guess id say suspension, mines clunks about aswell. had your tracking checked recently?

saying that though, mines a lot older than yours

Last edited:
Right...urm i would've thought they checked the suspension when it had the service as Renault told me the 36k one is a biggie and the guy who i bought the car from had it done at his mechanic said it would be done by the book, i'll check the stamp in the log book adn give them a call but it was mot'd in march anyway - only got the certificate no advisory sheet - might be worth getting it checked out, it only makes the noise when i pull out of my drive though so possibly something to do with when the wheels are turned rather than general driving?!?.

The fan thing is air con though its climate control in the 172 so dont think it may be the same problem you have Mackie?

Renault Clio 1.2 RL
yeah didnt see the year of your car :p so i cant help with the fan thing.

your drive got a drop? or small kerb.

also does it only happen when your in reverse?

Yeah only in reverse so far never when i drive in, its the usual lowered pavement to the road but there is about a 1inch drop from pavement to road

Renault Clio 1.2 RL
brake a lot when your reversing out?
im thinking if it does happen when normal driving. could be brakes.
thats all the ideas i have about it.
sorry if its not much help.

cheers for the welcome and cheers for the help so far. if i wasnt so broke at the mo i'd have it down teh mechanics straight away!

80MPG BEEZA
172 engines always run hot you cant stop that so dont worry, as for the knock it will most likely be suspension

k fair play but bit annoying that you cant have properly cold air on the motorway on a boiling hot day!

Welcome to fold Marcus

Might need to have the aircon re-gassed.

The knocking noise is probably to do with strut movement, nothing much to worry about, they all do it.
There is a fix which involves grinding the strut tops, best left for someone who knows what they are doing. I know mike @ Rentech is able to solve this issue.

Whereabouts are you from?

Just moved to London Colney in Hertfordshire with the family. Hoping to move out and get the old bachelor pad soon but student debts are prevailing :(

Just read about the South Mimms meet on June 3rd so probs going to head down to that if i dont have anything else on. I've heard of Rentech - where are they based?