ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with corsa VXR!

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Theres plenty of cars on here if you look through the project threads(the best part of the forum) for inspiration.

There are a couple like ours full focused track cars but there are plenty of " fast road" cars.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
You need to decide which direction to take tbh. Suspension more focussed on track won't necessarily work on the road. Mine's fast-road, but goes on track. So reclining (rather than fixed) buckets, road tyres, the interior stays in (rear seats out on track) etc. So it's useable everyday, but still fun/fast on track.

d6n

Ph2 172
You need to decide which direction to take tbh. Suspension more focussed on track won't necessarily work on the road. Mine's fast-road, but goes on track. So reclining (rather than fixed) buckets, road tyres, the interior stays in (rear seats out on track) etc. So it's useable everyday, but still fun/fast on track.

would be more fast road, as the car is used daily.

also got my eye on a stripped out r5 gt turbo running 209bhp!

Imo R5 GT's are very old now and can suffer problems with hot starts etc you would be far better off with a well sorted PH1 for track/everyday use.

Am i right in saying R5 GT's are pushrod?

d6n

Ph2 172
Imo R5 GT's are very old now and can suffer problems with hot starts etc you would be far better off with a well sorted PH1 for track/everyday use.

Am i right in saying R5 GT's are pushrod?

they are 10years older than ph1! It is a problem with the reliability!

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
they are 10years older than ph1! It is a problem with the reliability!

They are only as un reliable as the owner, fives got a s**t name from people winding on loads of boost without sorting the fueling and cooling. Decent five will spank any clio for £3000

d6n

Ph2 172
They are only as un reliable as the owner, fives got a s**t name from people winding on loads of boost without sorting the fueling and cooling. Decent five will spank any clio for £3000

the one im looking at has a rebuilt engine, done about 10k and is used as a daily driver aswell

Saxo VTS and Clio mk2 1.4
boost boost bang with the old R5 turbos- friend had one that had barely been modified and it did the head gasket twice in the 9 months he owned it! get a ph1 172 :)

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
boost boost bang with the old R5 turbos- friend had one that had barely been modified and it did the head gasket twice in the 9 months he owned it! get a ph1 172 :)

Thats excatly what im talking about your nugget mate wound up the boost with out any consideration to fueling. It goes like this, loads of boost with s**t intercooling= high charge temps+lean afr's= det= blown head gasket

none :(
Having seen this car in the flesh I can vouch for how good it is, and its quick too.

Personally mate i would go for the mk2 172, and take me when you do your next track day lol

d6n

Ph2 172
Having seen this car in the flesh I can vouch for how good it is, and its quick too.

Personally mate i would go for the mk2 172, and take me when you do your next track day lol

might be going to look at a 182 trophy the weekend!:eek:

the budget has gone up! lol

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

If you're going to be doing a few track days, a 172/182 with decent coilovers is a better bet than a Trophy.
One of the reasons I sold this
IMGP1559.jpg

For this
4378464261_a5609063ed_b.jpg

d6n

Ph2 172
i used to be indecisive..............

your ph1 looks mint!

I think i need to control myself a bit, and get back to the reason i'm selling the vxr in the first place....to buy a house!

as far as track days are concerned i would probably do 2 to 3 a year!

Hyundai i40

No no no no no! if you just after a track toy then the trophy isnt really worth it

Ph1, decent coilover, uprated brakes etc and a few more K towards the house fund...

I echo whats already been said, dont go for a trophy, bit silly blowing the budget.

For looks go for the ph2 but if that doesnt bother you then I echo whats been said above, coilovers, brakes, done.

although warrens ph1 is sweet, nice colour combo.

d6n

Ph2 172
I echo whats already been said, dont go for a trophy, bit silly blowing the budget.

For looks go for the ph2 but if that doesnt bother you then I echo whats been said above, coilovers, brakes, done.

although warrens ph1 is sweet, nice colour combo.

was thinking newer car from a reliabilty point of view.

I don't want to end of buying a ph1 and having to spend money on it.

That's i was thinking of something slighty newer. Although, it's down to luck i suppose!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Mine's been pretty reliable. Off the top of my head, over 40k miles and 2yrs
-Aux belt pulley started getting noisy, so had that changed
-Lambda started playing up, resulting in misfire
-Throttle body got a bit sticky, did a bodge fix and then got a used one for £30ish

Bar that, just consumables.

but you could buy a ph2 and it could be a crock of s**t, look of the draw i suppose.

just make sure the belts have been done

d6n

Ph2 172
but you could buy a ph2 and it could be a crock of s**t, look of the draw i suppose.

just make sure the belts have been done

like you say mate, luck of the draw!

got another 3 weeks to look / decide whilst i'm waiting for my private reg to be sorted

Ah d6n, fellow vxronline member, i choppped my corsa in at xmas and bought a minter of a 172 cup, i made a good choice :) your doing right with your vxr, gonna lose ££££ and reliability is a bit suspect

d6n

Ph2 172
Ah d6n, fellow vxronline member, i choppped my corsa in at xmas and bought a minter of a 172 cup, i made a good choice :) your doing right with your vxr, gonna lose ££££ and reliability is a bit suspect

hi mate, how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking?

corsa vxr
hi and welcome to cliosport......i'm also on vxro (rich.corsa.vxr) i could also be looking at a clio depending on my funds :)

d6n

Ph2 172
going to look at a 172 tomorrow, i haven't gone for a cup because my insurance don't insure them, so this one i'm looking at as all the extras!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
d6n said:
going to look at a 172 tomorrow, i haven't gone for a cup because my insurance don't insure them, so this one i'm looking at as all the extras!
If you're interested mine should be for sale in a couple of weeks.

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
a chap over at purlin wharf mate, his name is walsallchris, it's in the for sale section on here 2nd page in, it's silver 53 reg

If it's the one I'm thinking of, that car is mint mate, would be a good choice for sure.