ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
They are tagged

null_zps80d60f7e.gif

The Arrow rods have ARP2000 bolts in them , the ones that came with the pec rods are upgraded to high rev ARP 3/8" bolts

null_zps8c7184af.gif

i'll speak to Arrow and if they say the uprated ones from PEC are better i'll keep them

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
​I hope so , been trying to ring Fred all morning to get the engine up to him but cannot get hold of him , anyone know if he's open today ?

Know the feeling about engines im in the same boat after my discovery last week.!

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Hi Fred
My son is on his way with the engine , and pistons and rods , give me a ring when you get them so we can make a plan , how are you fixed to put another one together for me ? , would like to do the Mewla rally on the 25th Aug
​Cheers Ian

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Hi Fred
My son is on his way with the engine , and pistons and rods , give me a ring when you get them so we can make a plan , how are you fixed to put another one together for me ? , would like to do the Mewla rally on the 25th Aug
​Cheers Ian

And a F7R bottom end for me...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
When you boys are in it for the long haul in terms of planning to rally a car for quite a long time, and hence know you will need more engines later on at some point, would it not make sense for you to get 2 built, then when one dies you have a spare, and then just get one rebuilt to replace the spare, so its not a big rush?

Do you not do so in case you want to change the spec next time, or is it just a case of not wanting to tie up that much extra cash?

"redundancy is the best form of reliability" and all that.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
When you boys are in it for the long haul in terms of planning to rally a car for quite a long time, and hence know you will need more engines later on at some point, would it not make sense for you to get 2 built, then when one dies you have a spare, and then just get one rebuilt to replace the spare, so its not a big rush?

Do you not do so in case you want to change the spec next time, or is it just a case of not wanting to tie up that much extra cash?

I was planning on the engine lasting longer than 250 miles tbh ! but hey sh1t happens , the engine would get a refresh once a year and go on for quite some time , you don't plan on being this unlucky , it would be sods law you'd build a spare engine for £6k or so and then not need it , its a lot of money tied up just incase

All the people rallying I know either rebuild them by stage mileage or when they go bang

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I was planning on the engine lasting longer than 250 miles tbh ! but hey sh1t happens , the engine would get a refresh once a year and go on for quite some time , you don't plan on being this unlucky , it would be sods law you'd build a spare engine for £6k or so and then not need it , its a lot of money tied up just incase

Yeah I guess its a lot of money to tie up when you are only racing as a hobby.

A shed
Those arrow rods look so much better than the PEC rods. Better finish on the bearing face and that sharp edge where the bolt head meets the cap is a failure waiting to happen!!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Funny enough i do have a 240hp F7R engine and an 230bhp F4R one, in sister cars so i can swap stuff when needed
:)

Just wanted put the F7R in as the engine is out and the F4R is in the other car.

Pendragon is earliest next event now...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
To quote our friend Mr Read: "It's not luck, it's engineering"

Indeed, although obviously engineering is only possible until the budget runs out, and if thats before you have developed the perfect engine (which it always does surely?) then you need an element of luck too ;)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Tried ringing and texting you Fred , I guess your busy , any news on how your getting on with my engine , will it be ready for Epynt 2 weeks today as I have to put an entry in before the closing date , it was today but has been extended to tuesday
​cheers Ian

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Will only be watching if I do go , engine won't be ready , trying to do Flanders now so hopefully get it back the end of this month

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Bought this today

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...omplete-engine-and-induction&highlight=Sodemo

looks like it has the basis to build a serious engine , some real trick bits , a different animal to a standard engine , the chamber is in a mess from a valve head falling off , but should be able to be fixed , it has a steel billet sodemo crank and Pankle rods , they are a work of art , short stroke and long rods , I'll put some pics up tomorrow

Clio172cup rally car
Nice engine there ian,I looked at buying this a few weeks ago but didnt have the cash to repair it, I did manage to find a similar engine from a f3 car which was complete and recently rebuilt for 5000euros so may look into that in the near future.
Are you going to run the dry sump?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
No didn't have the dry sump or throttle bodies , the dry sump is where the O/S drive shaft will be , and the throttle bodies would be hanging out of the bonnet , just had the bare engine , good buy for a grand I think

Clio172cup rally car
That's a barging! The crank is worth that alone! I was just worried about the damage to head, it would need nearly 2 grand spent on it to repair,

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
It won't cost that much , my golf head needed welding and machining after it detonated , had to have the valve seats recut as I bought new valves for it and it only cost about £200 to have done , this head is in a worse state but I reckon it will cost less than £500 then a new set of valves.
the crank needs machining as well as is not turned down on the nose to fit the oil pump drive as they were dry sumped , but that should be straight forward , a bit of work to do but will be worth it , the cams are thinner than standard and run in bearings similar to big ends in the head , the springs and retainers are all smaller as well , real trick what's been done

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds like a serious bit of kit.

Arias pistons are fantastic quality IME, thats what I was running in my nova and the production quality of them was amazing.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Took a few pics today before I left work , will add more soon showing more detail

pistons and rods are a lot different from standard , the rods are longer , the pistons are single ring slipper pistons , and both the big and little ends are smaller than standard

null_zps8de5a048.gif

the head is also miles apart from a standard head , cams are smaller diameter , and the valves ect ,you can see the shells that the cams run in , I have lifted the followers up so you can see them better , the heads have been drilled through and the followers are all fitted on the bar running through the head , there is no way I can see these failing like the standard ones do

null_zpsd031817b.gif

null_zps9b0c0494.gif

null_zps6b0d8337.gif

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
If something breaks..$$$$ plus can you get spares? That the reason i didnt go for it. Would make a stonking engine though and at the price worth a punt i guess.

Gutted the cars not ready was looking forward to having a good look over it. Im going to probably convert mine to RHD so need a check list of whats needed. :)

You need to be very careful about welding the head, the heat could easily pull all that line boring out of true... very careful. Great to see though, E46 M3 style valve operation.