ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice mate. I really like that colour, too. I have to admit that my better half and I were seriously considering buying one now that secondhand examples are priced 'reasonably'. Alas, after looking into real-life running costs we probably couldn't afford to do it without sacrificing too much elsewhere. :S So, I'll just have to look on admiringly and with a hint of jealousy. :D

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Phoned them today to be told the CW&P is not available ! they will only make them if they get 6 orders for them , sadev have told SWR that they have a good second hand one so i'm having that sent over , its either that or go back to the original race car one but don't really want to do that , I'm still hoping to have the gearbox back here for friday and we can get it back together to do the rally

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Phoned them today to be told the CW&P is not available ! they will only make them if they get 6 orders for them , sadev have told SWR that they have a good second hand one so i'm having that sent over , its either that or go back to the original race car one but don't really want to do that , I'm still hoping to have the gearbox back here for friday and we can get it back together to do the rally

No good was going to order mine....!!!

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Is a higher ratio CWP available? might be another option just have a lower top speed.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Very nice mate. I really like that colour, too. I have to admit that my better half and I were seriously considering buying one now that secondhand examples are priced 'reasonably'. Alas, after looking into real-life running costs we probably couldn't afford to do it without sacrificing too much elsewhere. :S So, I'll just have to look on admiringly and with a hint of jealousy. :D

​Car sharing club is the WTG :) Let me know if you wanna borrow the Kangoo ;)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Is a higher ratio CWP available? might be another option just have a lower top speed.

I can't go any lower top end otherwise I'll be on the limiter to much , and the next ratio down is not available either , I still have the original CW&P in the workshop as a last resort.

I'll ask for the broken one back and see if I can get them copied , maybe I can get a few made and sell some on , I know a few with these now

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Just had a call to say the gearbox won't be done so have pulled the entry for the rally now , will have to wait until July now for the next one

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
I have just sorted one but it the 116 top end one so will have to run 17" wheels and tyres to make it 124 top end of the faster events.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Isn't the 116 top end CWP not the one me and Ian have anyway? all depends on what your limiter is sat at but on standard cup limiter works out around 118mph. Pretty sure the only other lower final drive available was one for around 105mph top speed.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
I have got the 13/57 ratio so 116 at 7800, Ian has the 15/61 which would make 125mph at the same revs.

If i go 17" then it would be circa 123mph at the same revs. There is only Epynt / MIRA / where you would need the extra top end.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I'll be doing the Harry Flatters rally in Epynt July 28th , and then the Mewla about a month later , can't be arsed with any single venue stuff , i'm thinking of doing Wexford in Ireland in Sept , and am undecided at the mo if i'm out on Rally GB in my Golf

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Got the gearbox back yesterday , another £1900 bill ! and thats with a second hand CW&P .

The ratio in mine is 15/61 , took some pics of the damaged parts , they say 4th gear broke a tooth off and dropped into the CW&P which is anoying as 4th gear was renewed last year when I had the box done , i'm thinking it was faulty

null_zpsd77efce8.gif

null_zps02c1942e.gif

And the damage to the crown wheel

null_zps65d046e8.gif

So its fingers crossed it will last now !

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Ouch! Don't want too many more repairs like that.

Interesting that its got semi-helical gears, i assumed they would be straight cut.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
That gear definitely looks faulty to me, bit weird that literally the whole tooth has come off. I was going to get my box rebuilt as a matter of caution but I'm starting to think if it ain't broke don't fix it. It all works fine at the moment, so why touch it..

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
If you give me the CW & Pinion i will get it costed by another source to make.

Plus i can measure them up vs a Gripper CW etc. as they look identical.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Given the Sadev CW & Pinions are used in a JC5 box (STDSA box is the same design in principle) then a Gripper (14/60) and std Renault 1*2 bolted (15/61) final drive / pinion would work. May need some minor machining..........

Ian definately worth investigating.!!!!

Clio172cup rally car
If that's the case then why not get one from bacciromano as they do a pinion for a jc5 with the crown wheel fitment for the sadev diff! I used this when fitting the sadev diff to my jc5 box

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Cod. RD074
Code RD074
13/57 Final drive ratio​
13/57 Final

Is the only option given ratios but hey 799 Euros....... will send them a mail.

Clio172cup rally car
Im pretty sure they do all different ratios, I had a 12x63 for mine, I'm sure there was a few to choose from iirc!

This is the one I had
quqehe6u.jpg

You have to make sure you tell them it's for a sadev diff or they will send you the one in that link you posted

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Just need to confirm that the Sadev diff you had for the JC5 is the same as the STDSA one ?

Clio172cup rally car
I'm 99% sure they are, just because when I ordered new bearings from swr for the diff, Jill said that they had the same part numbers as the sequential box

Clio172cup rally car
looks the same to me! :) but are the gears thinner in the stdsa than a standard jc5 to fit 6 gears in there?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Even better if a Std renault 1*2 bolt on (later spec non circlip) crownwheel and pinion can be used as the 15/61 ratio is perfect.!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
SWR confirmed JC5 LSD is the same as the STDSA so it should all fit.

If anyone has a Sadev pinion (Ian G??) i will compare it to a Gripper on i have here..

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
The Crown wheel is identical to a Bacci and Gripper one, you just need to have the slots machined between the bolt holes so it does not interfere with the drive flange. The difference seems to be with the pinion where there is a connical / taper at one end which may be different where it locates etc. But this looks like it maybe a sleave that does over the end ?

The Std Renault one is also the same as the above.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
SWR confirmed JC5 LSD is the same as the STDSA so it should all fit.

If anyone has a Sadev pinion (Ian G??) i will compare it to a Gripper on i have here..

my photo's are of a sadev pinion.

Thnking on it , SWR did say that they had to have my crownwheel machined to fir my diff ?? so you could be right in saying others will fit , as they must have had one like the Bacci one that has no cutouts in the centre like the sadev one

Clio172cup rally car
The Crown wheel is identical to a Bacci and Gripper one, you just need to have the slots machined between the bolt holes so it does not interfere with the drive flange. The difference seems to be with the pinion where there is a connical / taper at one end which may be different where it locates etc.

The Std Renault one is also the same as the above.

Just ask baccio for the sadev fitment type crown wheel, no need to machine slots, this is what I did when I ordered my crown wheel pinion.

Baccio do three different types of diff fitment, the press on, the standard bolt on and the sadev bolt on type!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Just ask baccio for the sadev fitment type crown wheel, no need to machine slots, this is what I did when I ordered my crown wheel pinion.

Baccio do three different types of diff fitment, the press on, the standard bolt on and the sadev bolt on type!

Bacci have just confirmed the above and i have asked them about the connical section at the pinnion end (not sure if the SADEV one in Ians pic has a sleave on it.)

UPDATE:- the conical piece is just a press on bearing so it that can be removed then the pinion is the same. Guess it can be ordered from sadev if not a renault one.

SUMMARY - BACCI final drive is an option on the STDSA box, only downside is the lowest ratio is 13/57. BUT a standard 1*2 bolted final drive with machining mod be used too in perfect 15/61 ratio.!!

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio172cup rally car
Isn't the baccio/sadev crown wheel semi helical and the standard would be just helical, would this cause any issues? like more force on the diff bearings?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Isn't the baccio/sadev crown wheel semi helical and the standard would be just helical, would this cause any issues? like more force on the diff bearings?

You would have to get a matching crown wheel and pinion obviously.