ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with 182 but not impressed??

C63 AMG
The 182 is not hugely fast in a straight line (for that try an F430). But on a twisty B road the 182 is very fast. Why? Because it has relentless grip and superb feedback through the suspension and steering. It therefore goes around corners far quicker than many many other cars.

monaco blue 172 ..
Jesus, my car gets so nannied compared to people in this thread.

Just feels like its going to explode after 5k.

2nd, 3rd. Probably only ever see 40mph in 2nd. 3rd is good fun to about 70. But 100 in 3rd ?!?! 80 in 4th max.

Never been flat out. 120 is the fastest its been.

I am officially ghey.
god yeah ,,,, i thought that was why people bought them lol...
may as well sell it and get a reliant robin fella:) ;)

Monaco RS Clio 172
is the 172 ff version poor at handling then? in comparison to the cup suspension of 182?

mine feels great! lol

coilovers may be an option for me tho

C63 AMG
Never driven a 172 so I couldn't comment. But having driven a 182 with Cup suspension and a Trophy I can categorically say that what makes a 182 fast is the speed in the corners, not a straight line.

I used to think the 182 was fast in a straight line until my boss took me out in his F430. That car is quite simply spectacularly epic. Even his Cayenne Turbo S makes the 182 seem slow and Roverish.

182-racing-blue

I got to page 3 of this thread and just wanted to bang everyones heads together. Just drive it like you stole it. Ive had my 182 Cup round the ring for around 40 laps, thats over 520 miles of driving like a complete C***. Not once did the oil temp move from halfway, no issues with gearbox, no problem with brakes, last trip I upgraded the suspension to full coiles, changed the pads to pagids fitted a carbon foglight CAF and whacked 15" turinis wrapped in R888's.

Without doubt this is the quickest car for the money you will buy and cheaply mod to make it more fun to "chuck" about.

I have owned an R5T, Nove GTE with an astra lump in it, CTR etc etc and nothing comes close.

Throttle bodies next for more grunt top end.

Just learn how to left foot brake and do the scandinavian flick and you will be fine.

You must save the speed for the track though.

Laguna 2, Westfield
I was told not to boot it off the line and not to abuse 1st gear especially as the gearbox will simply fall apart if you do it alot. maybe I have been speaking to some very unlucky/paranoid people. and so far, it has turned me into one. lol

Noooooo its fine!!!!! Some people are too paronoid on here, tbh i wonder how some peeps actually get out the house on their own :clown:

In first it isnt good to launch alot, its to do with the bearings/shafts and the sudden nothing> full power they cant take it- was always told this when i had my Fiesta RST you had to have some sympathy with it.

My 182 doesnt feel as quick as my old FRST(160bhp) but in reality it was very close as i had a few encounters with 172/cups. In gear the turbo made it awesome for overtaking you didnt have to worry about 5k kicks and wrong gear it just took off even from 2k.

The 182 feels abit boring really compared to the frst, it has only done 7k miles but i test drove a couple and they felt pretty similar.

Clio 172 2000
they are revvy cars, very different to the 1.8t engine, you need to work the backside off them... but thats half the fun
I agree with Laura. I've changed my Impreza with 300bhp and 290lbft of torque for a 172 phase 1. It did seem slow to start with, obviously isn't as quick as my scoob was, plus because the scoob was turbo, you had torque anywhere in most gears. With the 172's you have to 'ring their neck' to make them go. Don't worry about taking it up to 7200rpm either!!:rasp:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I got to page 3 of this thread and just wanted to bang everyones heads together. Just drive it like you stole it. Ive had my 182 Cup round the ring for around 40 laps, thats over 520 miles of driving like a complete C***. Not once did the oil temp move from halfway, no issues with gearbox, no problem with brakes, last trip I upgraded the suspension to full coiles, changed the pads to pagids fitted a carbon foglight CAF and whacked 15" turinis wrapped in R888's.

Without doubt this is the quickest car for the money you will buy and cheaply mod to make it more fun to "chuck" about.

I have owned an R5T, Nove GTE with an astra lump in it, CTR etc etc and nothing comes close.

Throttle bodies next for more grunt top end.

Just learn how to left foot brake and do the scandinavian flick and you will be fine.

You must save the speed for the track though.

That's all I was going to say. The rest is true though...103k miles of continual abuse on mine...and it still never misses a beat.

LOL at people owning RS Clios and never taking them above 5k :rolleyes:

320d
I doubt there is an RS clio in the world that hasnt been ever 5k, my 1.2 16v see's 5k most days always warmed up to temperature 1st and if anything the engine seems better for it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i wouldnt be taking the car past 7250rpm too much to be honest, iirc renaultsport say the engine WILL Fail after prolonged use above that figure.

cant remember if it was the hydrolic lifters or valve springs or something else but there is deffo something that'll fail.

cant see the point in it anyway as VVT goes off after 7250 iirc too? resulting in a big drop in power?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Less chit chat, more thrash thrash...

They're a grunty little b*stard too... if you're complaining about having to wring it's neck, you should try an EK9 Civic! The Clio feels like a small block Chevy after that!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
This isn't a 182 story, but as some of you know, I'm pretty unwell and not gonna be getting better. I took my R27 out for the first proper thrash for about a month today and the smile on my face when I got home is still there now :)

And, yes, I went over 5krpm :p In fact, I was a bit of a newb and hit the limiter at 7,500rpm once, d'oh! But then, what's it for if not to save you from damaging it! It was plenty warmed up of course, and I had my dad with me hehe. I was a bit worried I might start feeling iffy or whatever so he came along, but he's not one to comment on the driving, we just nattered along whilst I abused my cheeky yellow French harlet :)

I know that's irrelevent, I just wanted to share :)