ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie - Looking for a silver Clio 172/182

Hi All,
Currently in the market for a Clio 182 Cup in Silver. Had a few hot hatches in my time I think its well overdue that I add this to my list too.
So previously my hot hatches include (in order)
2002 Honda Civic Type-R (EP)
2007 Audi S3 (8P)
2003 Mini Cooper S (R53)
2016 A45 AMG

The mini cooper and Civic were both from the same era so looking to complete the experience set and get a Clio!
Any tips or advice is much appreciated.
Cheers,

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Didn't do a 182 cup in silver mate, inferno or rb. The silver will either be, the full fat model or the basic 182.

Welcome :)

Didn't do a 182 cup in silver mate, inferno or rb. The silver will either be, the full fat model or the basic 182.

Welcome :smile:
Cheers mate, I was wondering why I couldnt find any 182 cups in silver...
Now we are on the subject I have struggling to tell the difference between a full fat, cup and standard model.
What are the major differences?

172 Cup
If you're going for a 182, most members recommend going for a Full Fat as the 182 Cup does away with luxuries that aren't worth the weight decrease and they share the same Cup suspension regardless.

Silver 172s are fairly plentiful, but Cups in the same colour are quite rare

If you're going for a 182, most members recommend going for a Full Fat as the 182 Cup does away with luxuries that aren't worth the weight decrease and they share the same Cup suspension regardless.

Silver 172s are fairly plentiful, but Cups in the same colour are quite rare
Thanks. Just need to find a decent one. Quite a few ropey ones about that are overly priced too....

RB Clio 182
They do a 172 cup in silver, if its a cup that you want, and a silver one, these are the proper cups too.

172 Cup

I wouldn't dismiss a car just because of the colour, go on maintenance record and general condition.

But having said that, stalling at idle isn't a good sign. Timing could well be out given the evidence of camshaft and belt changes and rectifying any issues won't be cheap.

I wouldn't dismiss a car just because of the colour, go on maintenance record and general condition.

But having said that, stalling at idle isn't a good sign. Timing could well be out given the evidence of camshaft and belt changes and rectifying any issues won't be cheap.
I thought the same to be honest.... I am after a silver one. (OCD to match my other car)
But yeah that is worrying - if the guy is a mechanic surely he could have rectified himself...
Thanks again for you help. The quest conitnues

I have picked one up now. Iceberg Silver, 3 previous owners. Full service history (its due a service soon), 112k on the clock.
Alloys need a clean up and just missed a set going on ebay for £50!!! Should have just hit the BIN button.
Needs a few bits and bobs to clean it up. Other than me replacing the alternator, AUx belt, tensioner, pulley and O/S engine mount she seems like a good runner!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I have picked one up now. Iceberg Silver, 3 previous owners. Full service history (its due a service soon), 112k on the clock.
Alloys need a clean up and just missed a set going on ebay for £50!!! Should have just hit the BIN button.
Needs a few bits and bobs to clean it up. Other than me replacing the alternator, AUx belt, tensioner, pulley and O/S engine mount she seems like a good runner!
Will be interesting to hear your thoughts after a few weeks with the Clio - given your previous hot hatches.

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts after a few weeks with the Clio - given your previous hot hatches.
So far as far as the steering goes its alot less responsive than the MCS (But I knew this would be the case as the mini has a smaller wheel base)
Havent had it long enough to push it around corners but this is soon to come. Considering the last hot hatch was 2 years old and AWD this is almost 17 years old she is still very responsive. The gearbox feels nice and tight even with 112k on the clock....The mini with 87k felt a bit looser.