ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie - 172 running costs

A.N. Other
I'm looking to buy a 172 soon, but haven't been able to find much about general running costs. Can anyone offer a bit of advice/thoughts on the matter?
All I know is that fuel economy is pretty good.

Hoping they're cheaper than the other fast hot-hatch cars I've run in the past (Peugeot 205 GTI/306 GTI6 & Pulsar GTI-R)?
To be fair, i'm not going to be modifying it at all, so that'll help for starters.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
There's a few threads on running costs on here somewhere... Off the top of my head I think it's something like £195 a year tax and around 35mpg. Belt change every 5 year iirc or 72k mile: this costs around £500.

I'm sure more people will be around soon with more info :)

Helllooooo.

Servicing is pretty cheap bar the big belt service which is every 5years/72k and that'll be about £500. Insurance isn't the cheapest. Tax is £200 a year.

Tyres. Depends what you buy. There's hundreds of threads on MPG.

Everything else, just fix when it breaks. Nothing is a major issue really.

2014 Clio 200t edc
I mirror the above. I currently average 38 mpg, which is better than my mini cooper. If you buy one ensure belts are done or have been, that's a fair amount of peace of mind then.

Westy. MX5
Tax is now £245 per year post 2001 models and £185 pre 2001. The other costs won't be much different to your previous cars.

A.N. Other
Cheers for the replies. Currently have a 1.8 Focus - have had a few 'sensible' years, kinda enjoyed having a car I didn't really care about for a while!

pimp mobile Zafira
I've found my 182 one of the cheapest cars to run that I've had. Servicing costs are reasonable and I average around 38mpg. The only expensive part if ownership is the belts but if you get one where they've just been done then you won't have to worry about that.

Ph1 172
servicing costs are reasonable apart from the belts that people have mentioned but thats only every so often... tax is a fortune at £245... insurance, you might as well bend over and get lubed up... economy is decent for the engine, i usually see about 31mpg in daily running but anything up to 45mpg on a steady motorway run.

Artic 182FF
agree with whats said, the highest mpg ive had is 45.2, which im sure would've gone higher if it had been a longer journey.

I didnt get that out of a 1.2 punto i had a couple of years back, 40 if i was lucky. That was a money pit of a car, 2 head gaskets in the space of 40k. Shite.