ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie 172 Cup Owner.... bring on the track days

Clio Cup 172
Hi All,

Just picked up a 172 Cup on a 53 plate it has had a fair life I think on the track before.
Have a few bits to sort someone has modified the gear linkage to reduce the throw, anyway 1st is impossoble to hook up and it is like a spoon in a big bowl when in any gear so assume some tinkering is needed there.
Got a nice wheel wooble on after a rapid roundabout entrance and exit, so sure there is some investigaton needed at the front too.
Overall I am happy it has been remapped to the RA Tuner RON98, ktec springs, ketc sports cat and exhaust and cold air feed intake sounds the nuts and made me smile all the way home.

Snetterton on 29th evening seems a likely entrance to my world of 172's, in the mean time any suggestions on gear linkage adjustment welcomed.

Ian

Track 172 Cup
Welcome mate. I have a 172 Cup which I've had for about 6-8 months now and just started doing track days and really enjoy it car has not let me down yet after 3 hard days at Oulton Park, although I think I have a wheel bearing on its way out. You'll love em especially for the money I don't think you can go wrong and I use my quite regular now I've sold my daily while I'm waiting for a new car.. I've just convinced a mate too buy a 172 (non cup) as he wanted too start doing track days. Get yourself signed up as a member and you'll be able too see the guides which come in handy and for sale section always some bits for your track car.

Also think a few of us are booking onto Oulton Park on the 20th May if you fancy that.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Dismantle the gear change but make sure you record the main linkage length in case it goes pear shaped. There is a nylon bush in the bottom of the gearbox that is a sod to fit that is usually the culprit but check it all for play and dry joints.

Clio Cup 172
Thanks all, been distracted from checking the thread, gear linkage was solved yesterday, bar was replaced just incase someone had undone the pinchbolt, and guess what was missing, the bush at the gearbox end !!, a minor washer bodge was effected and I have a sorted gear change.
Alignment was set up on friday and wheels rebalanced, so it's driving sweet now.

Based in Norfolk so Snetterton will be my track all this year as I get into it and work on the car.
I will sign up for sure as these groups are a life line of info so worth it always.

Now also have a pair of OMP struct braces on there way, someone has kindly sprayed them blue to match the car :), new rear discs and pads washers and nuts on their way as the ones on it as goosed. It appears already to have the Brembo HC discs on the front, not sure of pads but when I do the rears I also found in the spares I got some rear dampers marked up high performance they are a nice lime green colour, so going to fit them.
Whilst the guys did my linkage (Cit-ren in Brooke), i found I have a purple poly bushed dogbone, so no need to change that.

Exhaust has been mounted with quite a few tie wraps but the most amusing find of the day was the LUKE tow strap that was poking out the front grill was attached too..............
NOTHING !!!!
Gave it a head unit upgrade for the odd day it gets driven to work. Now need to book in for the 29th evening :)

I hope to also get down to Snett and do some days. Preferably this year. New brakes are a must as mine barely lock up now and have a few mm left. Would be nice to have some decent suspension but doubt I'll have the funds this year.

Im round thetford way when im working which is pretty handy as 15 mins to snetterton is much better than at least an hour to brands hatch from where I live.

PH2 RS172
cant beat a clio 1*2 dude i love them. ive just sold my scoob wrx (3rd one ive owned) and i can firmly say the clio is more nimble and most importantly - just more fun to be in. best bang for buck car ever