ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbi shots - feedback appreciated

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
Hey guys, invested in a Canon 400d, totally new this game, but really enjoy it. :)

Went to Antigua last week so took some shots, they look ok to me but Im no expert, i have yet to understand everything about this camera but learning slowly.

Used a 18-55 lens and a 55-200 lens, would appreciate any feedback of what im doing right or wrong?

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  Bus w**ker
Some nice shots and some lovely colours. Were the first 5 or so manually focused btw? Just seems a bit fuzzy, or it could be my eyes.

Personally I'd of preferred to have the focus on your girlfriend/wife/sister/Mum/friend/that girl in with a shallow DoF so that the drift wood and background are thrown out.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
Some nice shots and some lovely colours. Were the first 5 or so manually focused btw? Just seems a bit fuzzy, or it could be my eyes.

Personally I'd of preferred to have the focus on your girlfriend/wife/sister/Mum/friend/that girl in with a shallow DoF so that the drift wood and background are thrown out.

Thanks. They were all done on the manual settings (AF on lens), yes you could be right about the fuzzyness as im still learning.

Interesting about the focus on my wife, i wasnt sure what looked best...

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Are you married to Nikki Graeme??

Good pics btw. I have no idea about photography but they look good to me. Pic 3 looks the best focus-wise. :)

visualize whirled pe
Looks like a nice place to go on hols.

The shots are nicely composed and well ballenced with exception to the third shot which looks a little crooked to me as the boat looks like it's floating in the air and the horizon line is askew. One reason I think is that the branch is in the shot, however the scene in the background with the rocks, sand and boat would make a more interesting composition without the branch even being in shot. I can see why photographers like focusing on close up objects with a scene behind (6, 8 and 9 work well), but don't forget about the great compositions emerging in the distance.

Artic Blue 182 FF
Pictures look great considering your stil learning, i would be proper chuffed if i was you. (especially with a misses like that too :cool:)

As said, play with your DoF, maybe play with the settings slightly, so you could get more natural colours, or even a softer touch in some of the pictures.

Pic 2 - was it especially dark? or did you have bad light. Would be interested to see what a longer exposure or higher ISO would look like, by taking away the flash?

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
Pictures look great considering your stil learning, i would be proper chuffed if i was you. (especially with a misses like that too :cool:)

As said, play with your DoF, maybe play with the settings slightly, so you could get more natural colours, or even a softer touch in some of the pictures.

Pic 2 - was it especially dark? or did you have bad light. Would be interested to see what a longer exposure or higher ISO would look like, by taking away the flash?

Cheers! Whats this DoF you mentioned? What is it and where is it on the canon 400d?

It is better not to use the flash in some situations and just increase the ISO?

Fiat Panda 100hp
Good pictures, but for my your focusing on the wrong areas, I want to see more of the landscapes.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Cheers! Whats this DoF you mentioned? What is it and where is it on the canon 400d?

It is better not to use the flash in some situations and just increase the ISO?

DoF is the depth of field.- how much of your picture is in focus.

i.e an aperture of f32 will give great depth of field - sharpness from front to back of scene
an aperture of f2.8 will give a very shallow depth of field - depending on distance from subject the zone of focus could be in millimetres!

Should be a depth of field preview button on the 400d?