ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Year New Car (black 172)

Happy New Year everyone. Thought it was about time I posted up a few pictures of my new 172 I purchased at the start of December.
I've been a member of Clio Sport for a few years and previously owned a Williams 3 for 1 year.
Here's a few pics anyway of my 53 plate 172

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Sorry pics aren't amazing, taken from my phone and location isn't spectacular.

Thanks very much !
Going to spend a little on making sure its running well, plugs, filters, servicing etc. As its done 45k miles need to get belts done too.
Long run i'm not going to go daft with it because I like keeping them practical, plan to get either coilovers or spring kit to lower it 35/40mm, fancy a cup spoiler and splitter for it and a few carbon fibre extras. Wheels are in ok condition but will get them refurbed in anthrecite grey i reckon at some point when roads are in better shape and put it into my friends detailing workshop for him to work some magic on the paintwork.
Enjoying driving it .....

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Hi, I think I remember your old Williams 3. Was the plate N EOY - or something very similar?

172 is a very good car as standard.

Hi Jamie, loved my Williams and i really wish i could have kept it. Will try dig out an old pic of it from my old PC, its reg was N?? KUF it was imaculate !
Yeah very impressed with the drivabilty and performance from my 172 standard ..... The Trophy is the car I want though, maybe next year ?!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I've had the 172 and the Trophy now. The Trophy is better in some departments but likewise the 172 has it's advantages too. I think as your every day car, the 172 is probably the better option. The Trophy is very stiff and has the cup interior (Cheap) bar the Recaro's. For an out and out drive the Trophy wins by some margin, but driving like that is few and far between, well it is for me anyway.

I think the concept of the 172 fits me much better, a nice all round car which drives well and just so happens to be quick. The Trophy has a great feel and after the Mark Fish upgrade is phenominal in the corners but getting to those limits requires some balls. As it's so stiff the Trophy does inspire more confidence but you have in the back of your mind about overstepping the mark (Well, I do), especially when you're getting to its limits as by that time you're carrying alot of speed. The 172 as standard was much easier to push 'harder' at lower speeds (Well, perhaps you have that sensation you are pushing harder), as since it was so soft it would just start to understeer and scrub off speed. I don't think for me, there is much difference in how quick I actually make the cars go as the limiting factor in each instance is me. There is only a few places where I go quicker in the Trophy than I did in the 172 and they are all slow corners, not quick ones as you don't have to worry about skipping off the road.

Straight line speed does have some differences. The 182 picks up much quicker from low revs and is noticably better. However, when in the band there isn't much in it. I used to reguarly race Paul in his black 172. We both had sports exhausts, however he had an airbox and a RS Tuner remap - ok there may be some argument for saying he should have the 'slight' edge, but there was literally nothing in it to high speeds. Not enough to make you think I'll have one over the other.

All in all, unless like a Williams, you 'want' a Trophy, I'd be inclined to stick with what you have. Or if you are going to swap, consider a Megane.

renault clio 1.2 16v
can only see one problem...needs all rubber wipers =D then looks very nice pal

nik