ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new tyre time, 205 or 195 pros and cons!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
as title, discuss! tyres in question would be Eagle F1's ive always used 195/45/16 but considering 205 to see the difference, im assuming i can run them no problem on standard 172 wheels?

BMW E46 330i Touring
From my experience the only con is the price.

Comfier, larger surface area, more rim protection and I personally think the fatter tyres look better too... :)

EDIT: Sorry, all referring to the 205's.

more grip on 205's
heard stories of more tourqe steer on 195's

Nothing to suggest that theres more grip on 205s over 195s.

195s. Less surface area means more weight per square inch
205s. More surface area but less weight per square inch

Go on price of the tyres if anything.

rps13
I have a set of each at the moment and the 205's have much more grip and the car feels alot more planted through corners, however they need to be rock solid.

Yeah cheap 205's will feel ropey through cornering, as will any cheap tyres.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
thanks for the info guys, got a lot less torque steer since i renewed my track rods and track rod ends but still a bit so its maby something to consider too if theres less to be had from 205's not that it botheres me though!

i think ill give them a go see how they are!

so im right in thinking they fit the standard 172 wheels no problem?

205's will give more play in sidewall on hard cornering will feel unstable

It won't feel more unstable persee but in theory might do a little but probably won't be anything noticeable. The difference in sidewall strenght will make more of a difference (ie a softer sidewalled 195/45 F1 vs a stiffer walled PE2 205/45 will mean the 205s probably have less roll).

Generally the wider the tyre the more tramlining but again sidewall stiffness can influence this (stiffer = more tramlining). From what I've seen of 172s, often they look "undertyred" with 195/45s on, and in some cases slightly stretched on the rim depending on the tyre make.

tiTTy & SV650
Much preferred the 205 45 16's on my 182 over the 195 45 16's on my 172. The 195's look daft on the standard wheel - the wheels are totally exposed for damage.

205's will tramline worse but torque steer less - from my experience of 4 years in a 182 and 4 days in a 172 lol.

I'll be getting 205's when I need new tyres - PE2's as per usual

I'd say don't get the F1s on a 182, stick with the PE2s. At least not on the rear. Mine was noticeably more wobbly at speed. I had F1s on my 172 (195/45R16) and they were fine, but was disappointed on the 182 with the 205s.

I'd say don't get the F1s on a 182, stick with the PE2s. At least not on the rear. Mine was noticeably more wobbly at speed. I had F1s on my 172 (195/45R16) and they were fine, but was disappointed on the 182 with the 205s.

Yea, probably because of the softer sidewll the GSD3 F1 has compared to the PE2. The ride is a bit jiggly with the PE2s and probably noisier but this tyre was "developed" with the 182 so I would say best to stick with this one.

clio cup 172
i swapped my conti 195s for p zero 205 and it felt like a floppy c**k! prob the pirellis 2 blame for that tho! more grip round a corner just cant feel the limit very well.
will try pe2s next c how they go