ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to clios

Clio 172
Hi guys,

Newbie to clios, I've had many cars in the past but wanted a cheap to run little track car. Looking at a 172 on Sunday with a hope to buy it if it's all good.

Previous cars include
EF civic with B16a swap
DA6 Integra
Mitsubishi mirage cyborg r (no you haven't heard of it haha)
Mitsubishi Evo 2 (548hp barely used it)
Golf gti 1.8t (total sack of s**t)

Mostly Jap cars but wanted a change.

I'm located near Norwich so if there's local clio meets I will be up to meet people and take advice.

Hope to be a frequent user.

Clio 172
I haven't yet worked out how to put photos on here from my phone, think it's wanting a link or something.

First bit of newbie help please haha

Clio 172
Sussed it....
e2426204641ecf63eced785f8693f61d.jpg
2f1e29d04782ae0501466c34690c7ade.jpg
8807ef1bcdbd58ce1898e629d0616355.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Welcome to the Club
new to Clios myself a year ago, when I noticed this small French car that could make 170BHP , and only cost £550 (Phase 1)
Went for it, have spent about 1500 with new AD08r's all round, rear half cage (Welded bodywork mount plates) and top spec bucket seats amongst the cost, and love it

Only downside is its not that powerful compared to my daily, but its great for throwing round corners and the lovely exhaust rasp ...

Have fun finding, and driving yours.

Clio 172
If all goes to plan on Sunday I will be on a hunt for parts. 15inch wheels will be one of the first things, lowering in some way (probably shocks and springs) brake mods and rear anti roll bar as a start.

Clio 172
So....i did it....now what!? Haha

Quick car run down,
87000 miles,
New brakes all round,
New rear wheel bearings,
Cambelt, water pump and dephaser done about 50miles ago,
New engine mounts,
2 new tyres (cheapies)

Really straight little car and first impressions are good.

Few mods planned,

Lowering, I'm thinking eibach springs and stock shocks....will these work well together?

Brakes need upgrading although all brand new I know I will kill them in a heart beat.

And does anyone know if the base model clio alloys (15's) fit over the brakes? Thinking of having those as track wheels for now if they will fit.

Half cage will come after I've got to know the car and before I head to the ring next year.

Any advice is greatly received
0767ee7c1085a26bfdd78efb5f3e53ba.jpg

Clio 172
Should never have sold it, the price has rocketed on them now.

Pretty happy with the clio so far, done about 60 miles in it and just want to get out and play some more.

Clio mk3 1.4 16v
Yeah they will keep climbing in price too as there getting rarer and more people are getting into them (and crashing them)...
Im farely new to the clio scene too. I love my mk3 its a great little car... More you drive it the more you won't want to get out of it!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Clio 172
I've bought mine for me and my dad to use, we both keep saying "we should get a track car" but never have, neither of us are getting any younger and it's a chance to spend some time together doing things we like. Plus I need to try and be quicker than the old boy too

Clio mk3 1.4 16v
My dad bought a uk spec integra type R and spent tons of money on the engine and handling to beat me and my brother. Because he was jealous of our cars... So make sure you beat him!! Haha
Unfortunately that was in the past and i have a family now so my Clio is used as the daily to drive the son and other half around so no more fun for me!

Clio 172
I have a ratty old seat Ibiza that probably should be scrap and the missus has a corolla t sport....who struck out there I wonder lol

Clio mk3 1.4 16v
Haha sorry to say id choose the T sport... Never been a fan of the Ibiza!

Clio 172
Honestly mate, the Ibiza is a death trap, cost me £50 and 30odd for a fuel pump to make it run, not gonna complain

Clio mk3 1.4 16v
Can't really complain! Beats catching the bus. I drove round in a R reg p11 primera for the past few years before i got the Clio. Had a 200 bhp C2 VTS before that but had to sell it to fund the family and buy a house etc..

Clio 172
You wouldn't want to drive it though, some sad sack lowered it on what can only be described as feeling like trampolines lol

That's why I want some advice on suspension, I'm not gonna fork out for coilovers on it though

Clio mk3 1.4 16v
The right springs makes a huge difference. Can never skimp out on suspension otherwise the handling goes right out the window!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Cup shocks (150 ish for four new ones)
I run H&r springs which I find ace.
Other springs, cooksports, eibach sportlines which lower about 20mm. Eibach pro lines which don't lower the car but improves the ride.

Clio 172
So I will need the cup shocks for lowering? I would ideally like 30mm minimum, seen some eibachs on eBay that claim they go 30mm and some that say 50mm but may be a bit much?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Shocks won't lower the car mate, just the springs that do.

If you want that height then go with cooksports. Eibach lower about 20mm ish.

But. I've had all of the above and would only buy the H&r ones again.

Clio 172
I'm aware of that haha I have just seen conflicting arguments stating that the rear springs will fall out when jacked up if cup shocks aren't used, I guess this is an old wives tale.

Do you know if the basic clio 1.2 alloy wheels will clear the front brakes? Seems like a cheap option for temporary track wheels