ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new rear spax

marcushookdale

ClioSport Club Member
  rstuned 182ff bg
Having vmaxx coilovers on the BG , well let me just say this the fronts are spot on i dont have any hassel
from them at all, but the rears well sometimes they drive me that mad i feel like ripping them off and just
fitting sportlines back on, front+rears

the rears have give me nothing but hassel from the 1st day of fitting, banging and clanking about, i think its due
to the rear springs being so tight and coiled up, so every little bump all as i can hear and feel is bang, i think ive
had them on and off so many times trying to sort them out, but to no joy,

so when i seen that danny (519automotive) were sell spax i thought yes i'll give them ago, so i phoned danny up
and orderd just the rears, but danny did try and convince me that it was a bad idea just buying the rears, due to
it would mess my suspension up and he said i wouldnt like it,

So i took his word well sort of, i still bought the rears, but said i would phone back in another few week and get
the fronts, but now i'm so glad i did because if i would of spent up, i would of been a bit stuffed, because 4 days
after my rear spax arrived,my bloody dephaser started playing up, totally gutted so the BG is off to birchdown
for new cambelt+pulleys+dephaser+waterpump+cam seals+oil.

Anyway heres the spax WP_000106.jpgView attachment 72868View attachment 72869so asoon as i get the dephaser sorted out , then i'll get the front spax, but i will be fitting them maybe next weekend, because the
rear vmaxx are to much to put up with,

I also bought 2 polybush rubbers from demontweeks and made these up, not only is the vmaxx banging about on the back my exhaust is helping, that knocks and bangs on my bumper , i know exhaust systems have to have some
movement in them, or brackets start snapping off, so i'll see how these home made jobbys get on, i might even just get a set of OEM hangers, tbh i think they will be better than what ive made, but i'll keep an eye on them.

marcushookdale

ClioSport Club Member
  rstuned 182ff bg
ive not had chance to fit them yet Dan , with the clio being in the sick bay for the last 7-8 days, water pump knackerd like you
said , so i'm going to fit them on saturday weather permitting,

so i will let you know, i really cant wait tbh, they look really good, and i know you strongly recomended that i didnt fit just the
rears without the fronts, due to mix match suspension, i will be getting the fronts soon,

and i know its arse about tits way of doing it, i should of just bought the full set, but i just couldnt put up with the rear vmaxx
knocking + banging , so i just had to do somert about it fast, and that seemed like my only way , by getting the rears first and
fitting them , my front vmaxx are really good, not had 1 bit of hassel off them,

marcushookdale

ClioSport Club Member
  rstuned 182ff bg
well i got around to fitting the spax rears today, and i must say what a ''MASSIVE'' improvment they are over the vmaxx ,
its great to just drive the clio without hearing and feeling knocking+banging.

ive not sat them as low as the vmaxx were , i'm gonna tweek them up abit tomorrow, so it'll have the same stance,
but yes i'm really happy with these, the clio is so good and quite to drive now,

exhaust rubbers upgraded (14).jpg View attachment 73788 exhaust rubbers upgraded (7).jpg exhaust rubbers upgraded (8).jpg exhaust rubbers upgraded (13).jpg
View attachment 73791 exhaust rubbers upgraded (9).jpg just a few pici's taking the rear vmaxx off, and i few picis of the old girl on the bench, and would like to say thanks to danny(519automotive) for the rear spax,will be getting front set soon mate.

exhaust rubbers upgraded (3).jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Marcus, long time no speak.

Im currently in the same position mate. my vmaxx were fine and when we was sending all the pm's a while back it was fine then too. However the last few months a received the knocking noises like what you described and like you i have altered the ride height and taken off and put on the rears many times but with no joy :( Its a strange noise to describe but after reading your 1st post i realised that i have the same problems.

After speaking to Danny also it seem to be the kit that suits my needs just like yourself. Are they the more expensive spax rears that youve got there? i thought the cheaper ones were separate shocks and springs and the all in one piece were the more expensive track based set? Like james said how are you finding the spax rears and vmaxx fronts. Im looking at getting the full set (currently saving for them) so would be good to hear your views coming from sportlines > vmaxx > spax

Sorry to hear about you recent mishap with regards to the dephaser etc :(

Hope your keeping well though. Would be good to see you at cliosport sat this year ;)

Mark

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
For the money there spot on but if i had the chance id save a little longer and get a more decent setup. Vmaxx dont have adjustable damping and that is something i would like. I cant complain as they been a great coilover untill now.

marcushookdale

ClioSport Club Member
  rstuned 182ff bg
hello mark , how you doing pal, good i hope, just give me 10 mins pal just having some food , but yeh there are really good,

marcushookdale

ClioSport Club Member
  rstuned 182ff bg
Lol you know me to well mate, ;), yeh as you know mark from all them pm's a while back , i was fed up to the back teeth
with them friggin vmaxx on the back end, i tryed bigger + fatter bushes, pull the dampers off a few times, coz i thought they
might of had a leak,

i even thought the banging and knocking might of been my exhaust, so i made some upgrade rubbers for the hangers, but still it
kept knocking, i even tryed just to put up with it for a while, with some black sabbath on full volume lol, but that didnt last.

so i thought f**k it, back to sportlines again, and then i spotted danny had the spax for sale, i didnt want to risk buying the same
set up , springs+dampers again, them bloody vmaxx put me right off springs + dampers, .even though danny said they would be better
for what i just wanted them for,

but i had set my sights on the spax coilovers, and not long after making my mind up that was the way i was going the spax route,i spotted some cs member asking danny to sell him just the rears, because he had a good front set up already, so ''BINGO'' thats what
i wanted to do,

so a phone call was made to danny, he did tell me that with the vmaxx on the front and spax on the back, would just mess all my
suspension up, being mix 'n' match. so i did agree to get the fronts at a later date, i just wanted rid of the vmaxx, so £340 bought
me the rears the coilover track set up,

so i fitted them earlier today, iv not set them as low as i had the vmaxx on the back, but i'm going to sort that out tomorrow, tbh
the stance with the vmaxx on, the BG looked really nice, so many people comment on how nice it sits, anyway back to the spax
i went for a little test drive, and 'WOW' is good just to have silence, it feels and sounds like its on stock springs again, its that
quiet,

yeh mark you will really like the spax when you get them, and they dont feel messy at all with the vmaxx still on the fronts, its not bad at all really, but i will get the front spax soon mate,

as for the dephaser it wasnt that mark, thank god, i sent danny a vidoe clip or he looked at my thread and said it sounds like the
bearing in your water pump, but its a bit hard to tell from just hearing video clips, so i didnt drive it for a week, put it on my trailer
and took it off to birchdown again, and guess what lol it was my water pump, thats why danny has his own garage because he's
good at what he does.

hope that gives you a bit better insight to it,

marcus.

marcushookdale

ClioSport Club Member
  rstuned 182ff bg
sorry for the late reply mark , 2 bowls of rice krispys had my name on , followed with a brew + ciggy lol

marcushookdale

ClioSport Club Member
  rstuned 182ff bg
and yeh i bought my cs saturday ticket a few week ago, so yeh it'll be great to have a natter with you pal,

anymore tattoo lately mark? how's the sleeve anymore add on's lol.:D.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I thought it could be my rubbers too! Its not loud but its just annoying that its there :( Good to hear you got it sorted though mate abd the water pump too. The spax are the kit that is taking my fancy at the mo so its always good to hear peoples reviews that have been in the same position as me :) Although i'll purchase the full kit in one hit. My aim is to have them on for css but whenever you save you always seem to shell out dough :(

Ive never heard a bad word about danny also and he gave me loads of info on the spax too so im 98% going to him for the kit :)

Get that stance sorted then get some pics up mate as your did look great before. As for the bowls of cereal, fags and cuppa, im not at all surprised haha :rasp:

No updates on the sleeve mate, just needs a bit of going over. Ill get the car sorted 1st then come back to it. Glad to see your going css. Ill be purchasing my ticket later this week too so it will be good to meet and have a proper chin wag and ill even treat you to a brew :)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Spax cocked up the price slightly at first, so i got it slightly cheaper for 2 people. It's £375+p&p for the rears alone now their properly costed