ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Prospeed 182 Exhaust.....!!!

Mondeo STTDCI
Well my visit to Cardiff was today...to replace my more subtle Hayward and Scott jobbie I had done last year. When I first went for the H&S I erred on the side of caution and was happy with the result after some adjustments...but over time...I wanted more lol

After seeing the exhaust on the GDI car and hearing it, I knew it was for me and after conversations with Andy at GDI and him doing some liasing with Charlie at Prospeed I booked in and had it done today!

I had the spec as per GDI clio. There are pics on the site but you will have to find them, I wont be posting any I'm afraid as its a completely different design to the others I've seen (Prospeed Mk1, Blueflame, H&S, Orbisound, Yozzasport) and quite simply...there are fabricators out there who will copy it. I'm off to H&S tomorrow with a lad off the forum to put my old H&S on his and they won't be allowed a look at my new one either :eek: There have been pics of the GDI one posted on here already so if they are still on here you will have to search for them. I won't be linking to them either!

In short I had

- Silenced decat
- 2 in line Centre boxes
- I rear silencer
- 3.5" rolled in tailpipes
- 2.5" bore throughout

I couldn't believe it when Charlie said it was a halfday job! I left Essex at 5.30am and didnt get there until 9am, and spent the next 4-5hours looking around Cardiff city centre. It was a lovely day and the Welsh lasses PHWOAR! :approve: Got bored and came back and sat in the waiting area reading Max Power :S until I heard the sound of a car start...

f**king HELL THATS MY CAR!!! Jumped up and looked through the window and one of the lads working on a motorcycle had a chuckle at my reaction.

First impressions on the drive home were that there were people getting out of my way on the M4 :cool: and that its a lovely sound. My rear seats were forward due to the old exhaust being in the boot so I have a slightly false impression of how loud it is at the moment and will judge better tomorrow!

BUT the biggest impression is how much more responsive it felt. I remember when I first got my 182 and drove it out of the dealership. I did the decent thing and put my foot down and was like :eek: That feeling returned today, I cant get over how much looser it feels. I strongly advise any owners to get a decat. Its made an amazing difference to my car.

The other bit of skills from Charlie was that I wanted to be able to replace my cat. However to do it the simple way would mean that the bore would need to be smaller just after the cat as of course the exit pipe from the cat is not 2.5". Therefore defeating the whole object. Hard to describe without pics but from what Charlie said he modified the Cat pipe so that it can now be bolted back come MOT time straight onto 2.5" down pipe. He did it by taking out part of the cat downpipe where it pinches down to the OE bore size. If that makes any sense!

Apologies for the long post...if you've skipped to the end - overall thumbs up.

Dave said:
Well my visit to Cardiff was today...to replace my more subtle Hayward and Scott jobbie I had done last year. When I first went for the H&S I erred on the side of caution and was happy with the result after some adjustments...but over time...I wanted more lol

After seeing the exhaust on the GDI car and hearing it, I knew it was for me and after conversations with Andy at GDI and him doing some liasing with Charlie at Prospeed I booked in and had it done today!

I had the spec as per GDI clio. There are pics on the site but you will have to find them, I wont be posting any I'm afraid as its a completely different design to the others I've seen (Prospeed Mk1, Blueflame, H&S, Orbisound, Yozzasport) and quite simply...there are fabricators out there who will copy it. I'm off to H&S tomorrow with a lad off the forum to put my old H&S on his and they won't be allowed a look at my new one either :eek: There have been pics of the GDI one posted on here already so if they are still on here you will have to search for them. I won't be linking to them either!

In short I had

- Silenced decat
- 2 in line Centre boxes
- I rear silencer
- 3.5" rolled in tailpipes
- 2.5" bore throughout

I couldn't believe it when Charlie said it was a halfday job! I left Essex at 5.30am and didnt get there until 9am, and spent the next 4-5hours looking around Cardiff city centre. It was a lovely day and the Welsh lasses PHWOAR! :approve: Got bored and came back and sat in the waiting area reading Max Power :S until I heard the sound of a car start...

f**kING HELL THATS MY CAR!!! Jumped up and looked through the window and one of the lads working on a motorcycle had a chuckle at my reaction.

First impressions on the drive home were that there were people getting out of my way on the M4 :cool: and that its a lovely sound. My rear seats were forward due to the old exhaust being in the boot so I have a slightly false impression of how loud it is at the moment and will judge better tomorrow!

BUT the biggest impression is how much more responsive it felt. I remember when I first got my 182 and drove it out of the dealership. I did the decent thing and put my foot down and was like :eek: That feeling returned today, I cant get over how much looser it feels. I strongly advise any owners to get a decat. Its made an amazing difference to my car.

The other bit of skills from Charlie was that I wanted to be able to replace my cat. However to do it the simple way would mean that the bore would need to be smaller just after the cat as of course the exit pipe from the cat is not 2.5". Therefore defeating the whole object. Hard to describe without pics but from what Charlie said he modified the Cat pipe so that it can now be bolted back come MOT time straight onto 2.5" down pipe. He did it by taking out part of the cat downpipe where it pinches down to the OE bore size. If that makes any sense!

Apologies for the long post...if you've skipped to the end - overall thumbs up.

Knowsit on all accounts... Prospeed, Exhaust, yummy students...

cool, Nik got the same system on his Trophy on our trip to Pro-Speed a month back.

Certainly the best ive seen and heard on a 182 :)

do you declare your decat to the insurance company?

Glad you are pleased with the exhaust by the way I have been in the gdi clio and seen the quality of the exhaust, sound and looks :cool:

Once my latest toy is paid off I think ill be heading over to pro-speed to get a lairy mother of a system fitted. Mine will only be getting one silencer on it though.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
^ you won't be dissapointed, got mine done a few weeks ago, charlie is a top bloke too! really knows his stuff

and the women ;)

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Good stuff Dave, I'm really pleased with mine. It does get quite a bit louder over the next 1000 miles, mine sounds spot on now. Still nice and quiet when cruising along on long journeys too.

This charlie bloke is probably one of the most talked about people I've read about, and not just on this forum either, but loads of others I've been on. One day I'll have a decent car worth spending money on for a custom zorst

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
MOTs....

not us "directly" no... we have a chap that does all of our MOT's

never failed one "oddly" enough......... as long as its not safety based...

if the car was not safe to drive he would fail it.... things he knows will be fixed back at work he is fine with... bulbs, wipers etc...

got a good working relationship with the guy.

Andy

182 Cup, (2nd one)
MarkM said:
do you declare your decat to the insurance company?

Don't declare the decat to the insurance company.

We got a decat S/S exhaust system charlie in Nov and have been lucky to not get an emmissions light as yet

Mondeo STTDCI
Had a call from Charlie this morning asking what I thought!

Said he'd already had a couple of calls about it! You buggers!

P1020292.jpg

Whoops ;)

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Nice! I got my 2nd sensor in a pipe beside decat pipe... might on my dash as of yet, but only had it a few hours now :p

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
Too many harsh bends imo.

Charlie is superb at fabricating systems ... although my welds are falling apart 18 months on. It's blowing more than Paris hilton on a night out. I will probably have it fixed up (under warranty) before I pass it on.

Glad you are enjoying the noise !!

Fiesta ST
Good stuff. :)

Can I ask (possibly a stupid question) but isn't 2.5" bore for the pipework too big for a n\a engine? Isn't that a size people say you should have for a forced induction system?

Mondeo STTDCI
rmccardal said:
Too many harsh bends imo.

Charlie is superb at fabricating systems ... although my welds are falling apart 18 months on. It's blowing more than Paris hilton on a night out. I will probably have it fixed up (under warranty) before I pass it on.

Glad you are enjoying the noise !!

Mate those bends arent harsh! They are so sweeping and unrestricting I think. I have no background in it and am more than happy to be shown im wrong but look at how smooth the bends are. The cars response is amazing too.

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Hi, Silenced decat what's the difference? I've got a decat on there and feels great, but the sound has taken a big step up and is very raspy now...!
This is a full custom system with decat. What can I do to tame it down a little bit?
:)