ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Phone tomorrow and I have no idea what I want...

DCi
Well I have a few ideas of what I don't want...

I've got an iPhone and I don't think I want another one (unless all other phones turn out to be poo + I have an iPad for apps)
I also don't want a blackberry because I don't sit around txting all day.

I'm going to go the shop tomorrow and play but the most things I do on the go is check football scores, google and use maps, so nothing really intensive (hence I'm not bothering with the cost of an iPhone) but something that can get on the internet with and deals well with most webpages (I'm sure most phones do these days, but 'mobile websites' usually suck and I want to avoid these - so nice big screen?)

Basically suggestions of what I should look to try in the shop please?

DCi
that's the blackberry smartphone isnt it? I did forget about that... when I think bb I just think of qwerty keyboards (that might be works doing)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Keep your own phone and get a cheap rolling contract until something you like comes along?

Yeah it's completley different to the rest of the blackberry handsets. The touchscreen part is pretty sweet. It's like an iPhone with a real keyboard.

Listerine & Poledo
if you cant decide, dont bother.

If your iPhone gets nicked or smashed, you've got another phone ready to pick up from a shop!

also, you'll likely get blindsided into a different tariff of "better value", just to get anything half decent without up-front costs.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yeah it's completley different to the rest of the blackberry handsets. The touchscreen part is pretty sweet. It's like an iPhone with a real keyboard.

No, its like a blackberry with a touchscreen.

DCi
if you cant decide, dont bother.

If your iPhone gets nicked or smashed, you've got another phone ready to pick up from a shop!

also, you'll likely get blindsided into a different tariff of "better value", just to get anything half decent without up-front costs.

Nah I just wanted recommendation on what phones to try

I'm quite capable of saying no and the I play footy with 2 of the lads in the shop they always treat me well :D

Listerine & Poledo
No, its like a blackberry with a touchscreen.

As much as I hate to do this, I have to agree with Tom on this one.

Chavberry touch, simply.

The Lumia looks OK, the OS is in its infancy but works well, smoother than most Android articles anyway. Retailers are also desperate to shift them, but although this means decent deals, it also means it's not a great sign for Win 7 handsets in general. They're just not being taken up.

Although it was the same for Android a couple of years back, Microsoft are late on the scene, no doubt they'll push on but the Apple & Android are now, firmly, the top 2 OS.

Then Blackberry
Then Symbian
Then everything else (although, really, Symbian isn't up to much anyone either)

Nah I just wanted recommendation on what phones to try

I'm quite capable of saying no and the I play footy with 2 of the lads in the shop they always treat me well :D

Ah, that's good then.

If you want to really keep your options open though, but on-line or over the phone, that way you DO get a cooling off period, most stores wont offer that on upgrades

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Android is good if it's as google intended.

So that's a nexus s or a galaxy nexus.

The lumia is the best WP7 handset
You can test wp7 here http://aka.ms/wpdemo (works best on iPhone - don't ask)

Blackberrys are s**t.

DCi
Got an iPhone don't want another as I've also got an iPad so I can get access to the app store that way.

Still want a smart phone but don't need to spend the money on the top one I don't think.

I'm looking forward to trying an HTC desire/sensation and the google phone and hopefully they'll have a windows phone too, that demo wasnt good on my iPhone though

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've got the sensation xe, girlfriends got the s2. If you were to get either you wouldn't be disappointed mate.

Swift Sport
If you already have an iPhone and an iPad then it makes more sense to upgrade to the latest iPhone imo.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Depends. If he has a 3G or 3GS then the 4 and 4s are worthy upgrades.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm gonna throw it out there abd say he doesn't have a 4s so get one of those.

Anything else and you're kidding yourself.

DCi
i've got a 3gs but i dont really use it for anything iphone specific so i dont see the point in spending the money on it.

there is total potential for me to go in the shop tomorrow, pick up an HTC/samsung etc and go these are poop im getting a 4s

i've got a 3gs but i dont really use it for anything iphone specific so i dont see the point in spending the money on it.

I don't think there's very many OS specific things left now anyway.

There's nothing I do on my iPhone, aside from maybe the odd game that another market doesn't have, that another phone can't do. Twitter/Facebook/Football/Web et cetera.

The point is about how it does it. The ease of doing those things. How those apps work. How easy it is to find a new app. The design.

All personal preference.

DCi
im a stingy t**t so i went for the htc sensation.

free handset and £20 p/m cheaper than the iphone was... only use it when im out and about and use the ipad at home for the 'how it does it' factor which is more than im out so happy to have the money in my pocket! :D

Megane 225 F1
FFS I was just about to offer a swap on my HTC sensation.

No I wasn't, just seen you had a 3gs not a 4.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Nokia N8 now its had its price drop, £280 i think amazon were doing them for, stick a monthly rolling contract in it for £10-£15 a month or what ever suits ur needs. Best phone ive owned. really fancy upgrading to the Lumia but they are still pricey just for the handset (although i paid around the same for the N8 when it was released)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Loving my sensation XE. So quick, bargain contract and having had a desire before and liked the HTC way of doing stuff it was a pretty obvious move for me.
Lumia 800 still looks very interesting

BMW E46 330i Touring
I've recently moved from Apple to the Galaxy Nexus and am glad i did. The only thing I haven't yet found is a browser that does predictive text well when typing on forums.