ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New owner ;) 172, some problems....help?

clio 172 sport 2002
hi guys :)

I'm new to this renault owning business (i've had vaux calibras/turbos before) but i have to admit im converted! However, i don't have much history with the clio i got so i'm trying to figure out the problems myself. Any help appreciated!

1) The dash outside temp - It doesn't come on, and after reading on here i had a look for the 'nipple' and theres a gap on my mirror where it should be, and the wiring is missing in the mirror...anyone fitted one of these, where do i start?!

2) I have a 'rattle' like a stone in a metal container coming from my exhaust when i get above 3000 rpm... I've had a look under and it seems to be coming from the front of the car, towards the front section of the exhaust system(which i assume is the CAT) any ideas????

3) My auto headlights aren't auto..well, they are stuck on even in daylight!!!! Anyone had any prob similar to this?

Sorry about all the questions, but these are all really annoying niggles in an otherwise great car! I'll get some pics up once i've given the car a clean at the weekend :cool:

cheers,

mike

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
sounds dodgy mate, the air sensor is only on the passenger wing mirror.
the rattle, mmm, maybe someone stuck a bolt in the exhaust, climb under it and bang it around to see if it rattles, does it only rattle when the engine is on ? it might just be the exhaust mounting on the center of the exhaust, auto headlights ? has the front windscreen been changed ? maybe they fitted windscreen without the sensor, or has some monkey stuck some kind of sunstrip on it ?

clio 172 sport 2002
ah cheers mate, you've given me some things to think about. The exhaust, i got under and rattled the exhaust but it doesn't do it, only when i rev the engine above 3000rpm....but i will have to have a proper wiggle of it to check.
as for the auto lights, i think the sensor is there, as it is that black patterned bit above the rear view mirror, right?

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
yeah i think thats it, check the fuses, maybe one of them is blown. also you have to have the lights turnned off on the steering wheel stalk for them to come on in the dark ? so i presume you are leaving the lights turnned off ? if yuou turn them on in the day time they will be on. the sensor only works if the lights are turnned off. is like a safety thing for women that drive around in the dark, trying to drive by street lights cos they dont' knwo they have lights. the pinging noise, are you sure its coming from the exhaust ? stick your head near the engine and see if you can hear it from the top of the engine, maybe a loose spark plug, or the charcoal canister. do you hold it on 3k revs ? then it makes the pinging noise

Vectra :(
1) The dash outside temp - The sensor is in the passenger wing mirror. The drivers one had a cut out but there shouldnt be anything there. Check where the cable enters the car from the mirror as mine went dodgy and the problem was a trapped wire in the door mirror. The cover clips off and you should be able to see.

2) I have a 'rattle' like a stone in a metal container coming from my exhaust when i get above 3000 rpm... If its the renault exsaust this is a common problem and basically the exsaust is poo. The center section rattles after a while. Have a search on here for the 4k rattle. Very common fault. New exsaust fixes it

3) My auto headlights aren't auto... Try turning them off completely then on again? other than that i dont know. As a temp fix you can turn them off to operate like normal lights. Instructions in manual mate.

Welcome and hope that helps a bit.

Vectra :(
Do the auto wipers work ok? i think the black bit behind the rear view mirror is that sensor for the wipers but could also be the headlights?

If you have had a replacement windscreen then the gel inside should have been re-newed as sometimes when a new screen is put in and the old gel is used it doesnt work anymore

clio 172 sport
the rattle is most likely the front box not the cat. when i got mine not long ago there was rattling from that area at them revs, the guy i got it off had a garage look at it and thought it was the cat. when i got my cat back system the rattling went (the garage got it wrong!)

Do the auto wipers work ok? i think the black bit behind the rear view mirror is that sensor for the wipers but could also be the headlights?

If you have had a replacement windscreen then the gel inside should have been re-newed as sometimes when a new screen is put in and the old gel is used it doesnt work anymore

As far as I understood the temp sensor is located in the passenger side wing mirror, the light sensor is located between the windscreen and the rear view mirror and the wiper sensor is the clear sqaure located at the centre bottom of the windscreen.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Thank god, I'll feel really bad if someone comes on here having bought it! Its the complete opposite to my 1.4 Clio!

Anyway hope you get the problems fixed mate