ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new engine (plus car build thread)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
oh and another thing i picked up today... to prove just how JDM tyTe i am....

656004fd.jpg

technically you arent supposed to bring them out of japan and its slightly against the law to do so lol! but friend in japan sent them to me :D

I'm after a set of Jap plates but everyone wants stupid money for them :(

How much they set you back? Plates are owned by the government IIRC?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
yeh genuine... yeh they dont belong to the car or the owner they belong to the government... and they are supposed to be destroyed before the car leaves the country etc... guy i got these off has started a car recycling company as in japan there are NONE! so he is taking plates off and sending a small amount over to the uk... i paid nothing for them but i can get sets (2 the same or 2 different ones) genuine straight off a car in japan for £40

i know its not cheap but... they are genuine lol :D and yeh at shows gonna stick them on.

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Looks great, nice to see someone building one properly! You know a guy called Martin, who used to import these, and now runs an mx5 with an FC3 engine in?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
downpipe is made :D just got it dropped off here :)

c6df5405.jpg

pic of the welds!
7c6af4d6.jpg

27018ac2.jpg

was all welded and pipe given for free too lol! only things i paid for was the vband clamp and the centre section clamp :)

its all coming together now :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
stepdad welded it lol, helps having someone that works as an engineer has no problem lifting supplies for me lol!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
lol i cant weld the other day i had my first attempt ever... it went ok lol well i can tack thats pretty much all i tried, though i did weld some scrap together and got some nice straight lines that didnt make holes lol... however compared to whats been done on the downpipe im s**t lol! i need to wrap the downpipe but need to get my egt probe boss put on first and stupidly i left it at the garage :(

lol i cant weld the other day i had my first attempt ever... it went ok lol well i can tack thats pretty much all i tried, though i did weld some scrap together and got some nice straight lines that didnt make holes lol... however compared to whats been done on the downpipe im s**t lol! i need to wrap the downpipe but need to get my egt probe boss put on first and stupidly i left it at the garage :(

you ought to be putting the EGT in the manifold not the downpipe.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Realise that Andrew but there isn't really any space and being a twin scroll I would really need 2... So I'm sticking it as close to the exhaust housing as possible :) you the same Andrew Cooke from chipping norton??

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
martin from speedline imports??

Not too sure, lives near Horsham in West Sussex. Also makes stuff from fibreglass. Went to his to buy a Garage Vary splitter for my Eunos. Seems to really know his stuff, and his rotary powered Eunos is nuts. 320whp in a 780kg car.....

Realise that Andrew but there isn't really any space and being a twin scroll I would really need 2... So I'm sticking it as close to the exhaust housing as possible :) you the same Andrew Cooke from chipping norton??

I am.

The problem is post turbo doesn't really tell you anything. If you're going to bother measuring EGT it'll be better to have it in one primary than the downpipe, but really, you should have 2. I assume you have a wb fitted?

Just looked back to see that you have loads of space to fit bosses to the manifold, and that you only have 1 wastegate - you're going to be lying awake at night wondering whether you should have bit the bullet and gone twin:D

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
LOL andy i remember being at btec racing with adey and you spending the day with us just talking cars lol!

im gonna fit a wideband yeh... removing the stock narrowband completely though! seems that everyone does on rx7's will see if i can get it in the mani easy enough without having to unwrap it lol!

contemplated going twin wastegate... but i couldnt afford to add another 1k roughly to the mani and another wastegate lol!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i been down a few times and had andrew do some welding for me on various parts, but the price varies lol one min he wants 5 quid next wants 40... and they were both similar sizes and amount of work lol!

their new rollers are supposed to be pretty special! last time i was chatting to him they can tap pretty much every car sensor and add differing loads per wheel (including awd) to simulate hills etc... if they did apexi power fc mapping i might of considered taking the rx7 there to have a play on the rollers but they didnt seem too interested...

im not sure what adey is driving now, he changes his car weekly lol! i hear you have a twingo that is pretty fun??

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
yes bomber :) back at the garage tomorrow :) fitting downpipe and finishing vmount....

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
hoody???

not sure when its gonna be finished, i wanted it done for 7's day but thats not gonna happen (7/7/10) in japan all the rx7's meet up for a massive meet and they doing it in the uk this year... there is a tunnel run at the end of july which i would love to go to... but i need to run in and map before then or im shagged lol.

Qashcow
Adeyspec back on here with another Clio mate, another silver ph1. I need some money my way to get something above 200bhp and red, I miss it so much. Going to be epic when finished

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
small update...

rad and the intercooler pretty much fitted! also made and fitted my oil feed! not as easy as i expected... but looks good :)

aa7c5d43.jpg

line fitted :)

also fitted the downpipe!
1de48c4d.jpg

2ae66ba1.jpg

f8dad01e.jpg

got to work out what to do with the relay box :/
3fb32193.jpg

what it will look like from the front (sides will be ducted in)
df4b129f.jpg

The wheels are dire tbh, puts me off the car. Would be OK if you were going for a rat look but I dont think you are.

Nice pics of the engine bay.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i need to get new rubber before i can drive it so if i have the time im gonna refurb them too... but time and budget will tell!

dont care if people dont like them i do :p

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Are the wheels supposed to be "cool" in some way Malice?

(Not joking btw, just know nothing about this "scene")

I only ask as I don't hate them, I can imagin it looking better or something else?

Good work again though, really enjoying reading this thread.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
eh? its not like nitrous lol! you have 1 jet... some people run 2 smaller ones but its not used to increase power... the further away from the throttle body the better, it atomises in to the air and mixes and makes it more dense so the longer it has the better it works, its used as a detonation prevention to begin with i will be running just water, when i take it up the strip i might run a 50:50 water methanol settup...

its a v mount settup so the rad will be below it and im just ordering an alloy rad to replace my stock one :)

When we did WI we ran direct port in the MX-5. If we did it the way your describing cylinder 3 and 4 got next to no water. We ran a wideband off each cylinder, 1 & 2 = 13 at WOT, and 3-4 were nearly at 15.

That was a 50/50 mix of methanol. It was giving the same results of running 104ron fuel.

We ran it to destruction on one lump. We were putting as much water meth mix in as we were fuel! It take some setting up though and if you get a blocked jet the job is fucked.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
the pics of the wheels that are on here they are dirty lol... they do clean up well... the rims can be polished up pretty easy, i just need to get to a powdercoating place and see how much they gonna charge if i drop the centres out then i can take the barrels home and polish them up...

here is a polished set...
rsdone02.jpg

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
When we did WI we ran direct port in the MX-5. If we did it the way your describing cylinder 3 and 4 got next to no water. We ran a wideband off each cylinder, 1 & 2 = 13 at WOT, and 3-4 were nearly at 15.

That was a 50/50 mix of methanol. It was giving the same results of running 104ron fuel.

We ran it to destruction on one lump. We were putting as much water meth mix in as we were fuel! It take some setting up though and if you get a blocked jet the job is f**ked.

i dont see how if im injecting water before the turbo in the centre of the air filter, then its sucked through the compressor which means the water will atomise then get dispersed even more... then is rammed through the intercooler and in to the throttle body then the upper inlet manifold... then down the lower inlet mani and in to the engine...

dont forget the 13b is only 2 chambers... im gonna be running 550cc jet on the strip and 350cc on the road, the engine isnt being mapped for water... its being used as something after the mapping, so it will be mapped to safe fueling at 1.2bar without water... then water will be turned on after, so even if i run out of water the map will be safe to run that boost anyway...

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Ah ok cool, they are quite nice indeed, those with the right profile tyre, and you'll be sorted :D

im running stretch on them, smaller profile as i can and then close to the arches without bottoming out the bumper of the car lol.

and yes they are enkei racing wheels...