ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New engine- multitude of problems, input appreciated

Cro

Meg'd r27
I can do nothing but laugh to be honest at the moment its just not going my way.

The new engine is in, fixed the climbing revs... was a bad connection in the brake vacuum hose so at least thats one thing.

So the new issues i'm having now are:

-Coolant is just going walkies, no puddles no leaks as far as I can see. so i'll probably get the system pressure tested as the next port of call. Any other suggestions where it might be going?

- Can't get reverse at the moment, and first is where reverse normally is. I'm presuming that the gear selector arm just needs rotated a bit, clockwise a little bit I guess.

- Strange noise coming from the gearbox at idle which goes away with the slightest of touches of the clutch, also seemed to go away after a short drive there but due to the next problem I wont know if it comes back when its cold again. Sounded almost like a mix between a tweet noise and running your fingernails down a blackboard lightly!

-On the first test drive there the engine sounds very ticky, more so that the old one ever did. I gave it some accelerator and revved fine but then started to misfire a bit. Plugs, leads,coilpack and lambdas were fine on the old engine before it went so I would have thought they would be fine.

Driving along it randomly just cut out and when trying to start it back up it sounded like the a motor was just spinning and not trying to catch at all. Same noise as when the valve went on the last engine :S
Any ideas where to start on that one?

- I havn't the carbon canister wired back up and is throwing a code up, possibly what is causing the engine management light but it wouldnt cause any running problems would it??

No doubt some more problems to come across before I get back on the road ffs.
Ready to give up and punt it on tbh... losing interest by the day :dead:

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Reverse gear is due to the linkage fella, what i was told on here was have on person to put it in first and keep it there, whilst other person re-connect the linkage to the box,

That should then allow you to choose reverse correctly,

How much coolant have you put in? i kno when i did mine it took a fair whack of water/anti freeze

Btw stick with it fella, itl be back sooner than you think, imagine beeing me 5months,

Cro

Meg'd r27
Not sure exactly mate, just filled up with water for testing the engine because new hoses are en route.

Seemed like I was holding the hose there for ages anyway. Enough that after running the car for a while it started to raise its own level again in the tank up past max before I shut it off and drained a bit.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
You say you dont have the carbon canister plugged in then you have a pipe that will be sucking air in right, wouldnt that cause some sort of engine problem

Cro

Meg'd r27
Just the wiring isnt hooked up, the pipework is though. I'll wire it back up tomorrow anyway just incase but with people removing theres I doubt its doing anything nasty

Cro

Meg'd r27
I did mate yeah, a lot of the oil left in during the travelling made its way around the whole block, settled and left some mess inside. Basically needed some tlc and a few miles under the belt to burn alot of crap off.

Still unusually ticky, and feels like its holding back a bit though, but for now its driving at least

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Excellent news, did you take the head off to inspect atall?

Btw did that work with the linkage? or was it difficult, i still cant get mine into reverse lol, so im stuck in the parking spot

Cro

Meg'd r27
No just cranked with the spark plugs out and had a look into the pistons from the plug holes.

Couldn't get anyone to give me a hand at the time so just rotated it a bit and it was grand. The more its rotated the higher the linkage lifts up and down (height wise) when the gear stick is moved left-right