ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio 182 Track Project

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Well I did a thing today and got my next track car project.

Firstly a big thank you to @Tonyclio for delivering it to my lockup and for being the perfect gent. A credit to you sir for building an amazing car. I know you’re going to miss it, but it’s in the right hands. 😊

It’ll probably be a short thread as I could just jump in and enjoy it but it’s been built specifically for hill climbing. So I’m going to make it work better on a circuit and log it all here for future reference.

A few pictures after Tony dropped it off.

IMG_1621.jpeg
IMG_1623.jpeg
IMG_1624.jpeg
IMG_1612.jpeg

I’ve a trackday at Croft on Monday and I’m tempted to take it along, but I’ll wait and plan it out over winter.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
So the current plan with this car will be as follows:

1. Whip the BC DS suspension off it and replace with my AST 5100s with improved spring rates of 80/80 nm (500/500 lbs). Maybe even make the rear slightly stiffer.

2. Run a bridge craft roll centre correct kit

3. Improve cooling as the current radiator is designed for smaller hillclimb runs

4. DS 1.11 on the front, DS2500 on the rear. Improve cooling to the brakes also. The eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed the calliper carriers are in the wrong way round. I guess it doesn’t hurt though.

5. Stick to the tyres we know work

Go and have some fun.

It’s really that close to making it a capable circuit car. Which is why I went for it as I have most of the parts already in place, without me having to dig deep into my pockets again.

Last edited:

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Solid plans. The bridgecraft/northloop roll correction kit is excellent, you wont be dissappointed with that.

Whats the engine spec?
I haven’t had a good look through the receipts but from the advert it’s had an Engine Dynamics Level 2 rebuild which is pretty much:

Wossner Forged Pistons 12.8:1 (83mm)
Catcam Performance Camshafts 421s
Wossner one-piece Uprated Valve Springs
MLS Head Gasket / Seal set
Cylinder head Clean / De-coke
Hydraulic Lifter set
Head Bolt Set
Lower Engine Gasket / seal set
Arp Con-Rod bolts
King Crankshaft Big Ends
King Crankshaft Mains
Crankshaft thrust washers
Timing Belt Kit
Oil Pump
Keyway crank

It’s on Jenvey ITBs (45mm)

It made 220.6 bhp and my son read out the EFi sheet while we were driving back and I think he said it’s 180 lbs torque (don’t quote me on that).

Gripper.

Should go well once I’ve sorted the suspension and cooling. Might need to replace the exhaust as well. Currently has a custom lightweight 1 piece which is LOUD!

Tonyclio

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I'll be watching this thread of course.

The Yokohama A052's are THE list 1B hillclimb tyres for the road going cars as they heat up quickly so would be interested to know how they perform on track, otherwise they will probably sell well as there are approaching £200 a corner new.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be watching this thread of course.

The Yokohama A052's are THE list 1B hillclimb tyres for the road going cars as they heat up quickly so would be interested to know how they perform on track, otherwise they will probably sell well as there are approaching £200 a corner new.
It was always my go to tyre for Circuit Tony. I rated them over the A050s which used to be my 1st tyre choice before they became scarce.

I ran some MRF ZTR mediums today at Croft. They seem to be harder wearing and took quite a few more laps to get heat into them, especially the rears.

I can’t wait to get stuck into the project and do some proper tyre comparisons, but it’ll be next spring before that happens.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
I would have thought that it should be quiet enough if it’s been sprinted as I think it’s 105db max from memory?

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Time to start updating this thread now I know what I'm doing going forward.

Currently, the car has a single custom one-piece exhaust. From what I can gather, 108 decibels is the acceptable noise level for hill climbing regs and while it sounds like a roaring beast on the road, I'm concerned it might push the decibel limits beyond what's acceptable for general track days.

IMG_1620.jpeg

So I'm going to stick with what I know works and put a PMS system on.

Rather than mess about patching up the bumper to host twin exhaust pipes, I managed to pick up a cheap rear bumper off @gudger12345. He's only up the road and dabbles in Clio parts, so that's perfect for me.

IMG_1719.jpeg

It was undamaged and just needed the paintwork sorting - I can't have a scruffy track car, it wouldn't be right.
A bit of paint reaction and peel here and there, but it's shiny and a big improvement.

IMG_2621.jpeg

The old exhaust trims had seen better days so I reverted to my trusted method of using trim Lock. It's cheap, looks great and is much more resistant to heat.

Link on eBay here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334890906692 You only need a metre.

IMG_2616.jpeg

IMG_2619.jpeg

IMG_2622.jpeg

I just need to cut a groove along the trim line, then route the rear towing strap, refit the centre trim and that's sorted (job for next weekend).

The PMS exhaust arrived last week. I'll be using their excellent 200 Sports Cell cat so I can keep the car MOT'd to go back and forth to Croft Circuit.

IMG_2625.jpeg

IMG_2626.jpeg

My oils also arrived, but realised I'd left my filters in the boot of my car at the lock-up. Couldn't be bothered to go and get them as I had other stuff on, so that's another job for next week.

IMG_2636.jpeg

I'm due at Croft end of March so I'm just going to change the exhaust, brake fluid, engine and gearbox oils, coolant and run the car with the current suspension set-up to see how it fares. I'll then do more development between each track day.

I'm really looking forward to getting back on track again after a few year's break.

Thank you for reading.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Assuming current exhaust is straight through with one silencer at that db? Might be worth considering a map tweak when adding the new system and cat as will be adding in a restriction, even if minor.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Assuming current exhaust is straight through with one silencer at that db? Might be worth considering a map tweak when adding the new system and cat as will be adding in a restriction, even if minor.
That's right Jon. It has a sports cat of some type and straight through after that.

MOT is due in April, so I'll get my track day sorted, and then get it in for a test. The plan was to have a run-over to see Chris for another Map, before the ASTs get thrown on, I don't fancy a journey to the Wirral with those on :ROFLMAO:

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Picked the old girl up from the yard. First time driving it. It was interesting to say the least.

Goal this weekend is to switch exhausts, bumpers, change oils, remove stickers and have a good look over it.

Lots of new parts have arrived with some to follow. Once I’ve done my first track day at Croft, i’ll have a much better understanding of what I’m dealing with.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Saturday was a bit of a wash out and a frustrating day.

The old bumper came of easy enough.

IMG_2699.jpeg

The exhaust was loose in places and literally fell off.

IMG_2700.jpeg

Nice custom set up though. Militek centre silencer and then flexi piping all the way back. It sounded great but far too loud for my needs.

IMG_2705.jpeg

Nice 200 Cell Sports Cat. Sadly I had to buy a new one with my PMS system, otherwise I would have used this again.

IMG_2702.jpeg

Despite getting soaked and having to stop work, everything seemed to be going well until I noticed the exhaust hanging brackets were missing. The studs had also been cut - barring one.

IMG_2708.jpeg

Damn! It’s the one place I never bothered to look. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Realising I didn’t have a spare set and getting soaked, I dropped Scott at ProAm Racing a message and ordered a set of his. Towel thrown in, hot bath.

Nice racing fuel tank though.

IMG_2710.jpeg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Today was a much better day. First job was to remove those exhaust hanging studs.

IMG_2712.jpeg

It’s a pretty simple procedure so I’ll go over the process.

Grab a drill and a 9.5 mm drill bit. Fill the exhaust hanger studs with cutting oil (optional but it helps).

IMG_2713.jpeg

The studs are pressed into the top washer, for want of a better word.

The drill bit cuts into the first part, then just spins.

Take the drill out and remove the small piece of metal which looks like a 5p.

IMG_2716.jpeg
IMG_2717.jpeg

Now you can drill down a bit further until the stud falls out. No need to cut the studs off.

IMG_2718.jpeg

It’s now just a case of getting some long counter sunk bolts and thread through.

IMG_2714.jpeg

It takes 15 minutes tops to do all eight studs.

IMG_2732.jpeg

With those drilled out, I cleaned the paintwork up and removed the rear seats.

IMG_2720.jpeg
IMG_2721.jpeg
IMG_2734.jpeg

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
last job of the day was to fit the new exhaust and new bumper.

The manifold flange is in good nick.

IMG_2728.jpeg

Everything went smoothly.

IMG_2737.jpeg

Hung the rear silencer with cable ties for now.

IMG_2738.jpeg

Gave the back panel a clean up.

IMG_2735.jpeg

Then stuck the bumper on and the tow stickers.

IMG_2742.jpeg
IMG_2745.jpeg

I managed to find the same sticker typeface as the originals.

IMG_2749.jpeg

And that’s it for this weekend.

I’ll tackle the oils and remaining exhaust jobs next weekend.

Overall I’m really pleased with my purchase. The car is very tidy and dry underneath and everything looks likes it’s been well thought out and put together.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Exhaust hangers arrived midweek from ProAm Racing with an assortment of bolts.

IMG_2763.jpeg

Went with countersunk BZP bolts.

IMG_2764.jpeg

PMS exhaust mounts on. Lovely bit of kit with tons of adjustment options.

IMG_2770.jpeg

Put some new Lambda sensors on.

IMG_2771.jpeg

The car is so much quieter.

That’s that box ticked off.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Changed the engine and gearbox oil plus ran some Castrol SRF racing fluid through the brakes.

Last job of the day was to flush the old coolant out.

IMG_2773.jpeg

Took 6 engine flushes to get it all out. You can see how it slowly changed colour with every flush.

IMG_2793.jpeg

Picked up the last 5-litre bottle of Type D coolant from my local Renault garage.

IMG_2785.jpeg

Just a few more jobs to sort before Croft.

IMG_2788.jpeg

I’ll also change the air-con delete kit that’s currently on the car. It’s a MK1 PMS kit which looks sturdy, but I had one snap on me a few years back. Plus I need to change the Aux belt anyway.

IMG_2791.jpeg

Picked up a 172 Cup delete kit from @Russ Rallye so cleaned that up along with a new belt.

Before

IMG_2794.jpeg

After

IMG_2790.jpeg

I’ll sort that tomorrow along with switching the seats over as the previous owner was smaller than me and it’s a bit tight 😂

Managed to get a few AD052s from Darkside Developments. I love these tyres and they’re starting to get cheaper now. Tons of grip.
IMG_0727.jpeg

Hopefully if the weathers decent tomorrow I’ll get it all finished.

Thank you for reading.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Late start today, but got a few more things ticked off the list.

Switched the seats and mounts over.

IMG_2796.jpeg
IMG_2804.jpeg

The drivers seat is set a couple of inches higher, as I don’t like to sit too low in a car.

IMG_2806.jpeg

Then removed the stickers, well all except one 😊

IMG_2808.jpeg

It looks less racecar now, which is what I wanted. It came with a set of 15” steel wheels and some PS3s, so perfect for going back and forward to the circuit.

IMG_2811.jpeg

Ran out of time to sort the air con delete kit, maybe a job for next weekend now.

Gave it a run to the fuel station and it’s certainly a lot quieter.

A few more pics of the interior.

IMG_2799.jpeg
IMG_2800.jpeg

I’ve got lots more parts to fit and some tidying up to do, but I’m going to do those after Croft.

Thank you for reading.

Clio 172 cup 300bhp
Coming along nicely. Like the rear tow strap design, need something like that for mine. I run used slicks now find them a lot quicker than semi slicks on track and gripper once warm. Only takes a lap to get heat in them and very cheap second hand as I runs 15s on mine.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Coming along nicely. Like the rear tow strap design, need something like that for mine.
Previous owners work, nice and solid.
I run used slicks now find them a lot quicker than semi slicks on track and gripper once warm. Only takes a lap to get heat in them and very cheap second hand as I runs 15s on mine.
Slicks scare me. I was at Cadwell with a chap who was running a similar Clio. Decent dry day around 20c. I’m on Yokohama 52s and he’s on a Dunlop Full Slick. He’s not quite set-up properly so I’m able to stick with him but he’s clearly got more grip and is much quicker in and out of corners. Coming out of Chris curve towards Gooseneck and he suddenly spins off the track and into the tyres.

I’m like WTF! I met him back in the pits after they recovered his car and he just said one minute he had grip, the next he didn’t. I understand from other people that they can suddenly just let go with zero warning. And if I hadn’t of seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn’t have believed it. I like predictability not living on the edge 😂

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Pms exhaust is a massive improvement.

Ive had an oh s**t moment on slicks at Blyton, grip grip grip then 4 wheel drift/sideways. Kept boot in as loads of run off but yeah wouldnt want to be doing that at cadwell!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Last bits to do before Croft next week and the impending MOT on Tuesday 🙏

Rear number plate light was out, so replaced that. The block connector had pretty much rusted and possibly the bulbs were shot.

IMG_2859.jpeg

I had one out of an old bumper so gave it a clean up and bought a new bulb.

IMG_2860.jpeg

I didn’t fancy using another block connector so bought a Crankshaft sensor connector with a wired harness from Auto Connectors - link here

IMG_2861.jpeg

You just need to grind a few tabs off and it’s a perfect fit. £3.99 as opposed to £13.99 for an after market switch.

IMG_2863.jpeg

A bit of chicken s**t soldering - I blame the wind for cooling down the soldering tip 😛 - followed by some insulation tape and heat shrink solder sleeves.

IMG_2864.jpeg
IMG_2870.jpeg

And the jobs a good one.

IMG_2871.jpeg

Last job was to get the old brake dust and iron oxides out of the wheels to keep them looking good.

IMG_2873.jpeg

Then stuck my valve marker stickers on - partly because I’m as blind as a bat and because trackcar 😂

IMG_2874.jpeg

And that’s it. Really looking forward to next Friday now 🚗💨

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Great day at Croft, although we were having so much fun we never got any pictures 🤦🏻‍♂️

Here‘s one from the arse end on the way.

493BD75B-A435-4763-A19A-82D05E4BCDD4.jpeg

Met @SharpyClio for the first time. Good to meet you fella and thank you for the loan of the towing eye. We got sorted in the end.

@Brigsy popped in with his missus and Bumblebee 225 and we had a good old natter.

Lots of fast machinery there today and a ridiculous amount of Red Flags. Never known anything like it, which just goes to show the lack of talent that turn up to these events these days. It’s a bloody track-day for god sake.

Anyway, back to the car.

Engine : Awesome. This is a seriously fast Clio and I mean fast.
Gearbox and Gripper : Brilliantly set up and you can get all the power down.
Steering : Garbage. I’m going back to EPAS
Suspension : If I hadn’t of had my other circuit car I’d have been happy, but it’s just not set up for my tastes.
Exhaust : 97 decibels at 5,500 rpm. Happy with that.
Driver : s**t. I’ve gone back over 😂

Things to do.

Racing clutch, just for added security and a lightweight flywheel.
EPAS.
Fit my roll centre correction kit.
Might go Spax 750Mc like my old car. Currently have the AST 5100 kit but I can’t get my head around having the back stiffer than the front. Change my mind.
Fit my new tyres as the 52s currently on it are dead.
Bigger radiator and an oil cooler, again no major issues, but just for peace of mind.

If I can get this car to handle on a circuit like my last car, I’ll have a very good car indeed.

Thank you for reading.

bren172

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Did you get any videos made of the day?
Are you going to do a walk through of the epas when you fit it?