ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new car suggestions

classic mini
Hello, this is my first time posting on the forum and I'm hoping you'll be able to give me a bit of advice.
Next year I'll be 21 and will be looking for a new car. I currently drive a classic mini which I love. However, a little more power is needed while keeping the good handling. This leads me to a renault :)
I've been having a look at the 182 clio trophy and the clio 197. I think the 197 is a better looking car but (may upset a few people now) I've heard that its a bit down on torque. I've also driven a peugeot boxer which has an electric power steering pump and I really didn't like the feeling through the wheel. Not sure if it will be similar or not but it puts me off a bit. Onto the trophy, I think the trophy will be a quicker/ better handling car, but i'm not sure those sachs will be used as much as they should being a daily driver and the refurb price is a bit of a disadvantage.
Would any of you be able to give their opinions on these cars and help me decide on a car. I'm also open to other car suggestions
Thanks in advance

having had a trophy and now using a 172 as a dailey this is my opinion.

the trophy seats although recaros, are crap, they squeak and are uncomfortable. I actually think the std sport seats offer more support.
with the sachs, mine had just been rebuilt ad the drive was good. ive just put bilstien b14 coilovers and rosejointed top mounts on my 172, personally I think this is a better set up. and ive got some evo recaros to pop in, tese do actually offer some support and are comfortable. and im 2 grand in profit from selling the trophy

I don't think theres any thing in the performance difference between a 182 and a 197.

im assuming you've got a budget of 4k?? id go for a really nicely modded 182, or get as lower mialage possible 197. found my trophy dearer to insure than my focus rs aswell.

Swift Sport
- The steering on the 197 is fine, however the 6 speed box is horrible. If you go down the 197 route make sure the gearbox feels okay.
- Handling depends on taste... The 182 is more lively while the 197 is more sure footed. Both very good, and the 197 has awesome Brembos too.
- Torque is down on the 197 but it's not something to worry about, it's still just as quick if driven properly.
- The 197 is noticeably worse on fuel and early ones can be more expensive to tax, which is worth bearing in mind.

classic mini
Thanks for the replies, I have considered getting a normal 182 as they are a lot cheaper than the trophy and I suppose I could use the spare cash for upgrades. I am quite drawn to the fact that there's only 500 created and quite a few 182's around my area. Are the brembos standard with all the 197's? and how bad are they on fuel mpg wise?
Also, has anyone had any mechanical experience on the clios? I'm a commercial mechanic and have heard the french stuff aren't very nice to work on

Swift Sport
Brembos are standard on 197's, yes. My 172 and 182 both did late 30's while my 197 only managed late 20's.

My advice would be to find a nice clean cup packed 182 with some tasteful modifications.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
My advice would be to find a nice unmodified car, if one exists. After all, you can then do any mods that you want yourself, being a mechanic,and you will will know that they have been done properly..

I'd disagree with the above. Mods cost money.

Buy on condition. If it's modded to the hill then bonus ( as long as there fitted properly)

classic mini
I agree with both of you. A car with a few mods would be a bit of a bonus as it'll probably work out cheaper than buying myself, but I wouldn't like it to be too overboard because I do enjoy playing around with cars myself. I'm still pretty undecided though the 182 seems the better option but I can't help but be drawn to the 197

2002 clio 172
buy a megane team f1 230. thats what id get if i was after something new. insurance wont be much different, if at all different.

classic mini
I've had a look at the megane 225. Looks a nice car and I did quite fancy one. But I think 225 bhp would be a bit too much for me coming from an 85ish bhp mini

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
I've had a look at the megane 225. Looks a nice car and I did quite fancy one. But I think 225 bhp would be a bit too much for me coming from an 85ish bhp mini

Whats the spec of your mini? 85bhp must be like a rocket!

classic mini
I haven't had it on the rolling road but from other people's mini it's a rough bhp guess. 1293 with a stage 3 head, hiff44 carb with MED stubstack. kent 276 camshaft, 3.4 diff. Won't bore you with the rest. it's terrible on the motorway with the 3.4 in it though :boring:

Swift Sport
Without a remap a 225 wouldn't be that much quicker than a Clio, but they're very different cars to drive. You either want boost or you don't, and in my opinion the R26 is 100% worth the extra cash.

classic mini
Not another car to consider :cry: I'm not sure how i'd get on with a turbo. I've always been against them slightly and preferred NA cars. but I have heard good things about the megane's. Are there any bad points to these car I should know about?
Thanks again for the replies. Really helping me out

Swift Sport
Not another car to consider :cry: I'm not sure how i'd get on with a turbo. I've always been against them slightly and preferred NA cars. but I have heard good things about the megane's. Are there any bad points to these car I should know about?

I meant the R26 is worth the extra over a 225. Compared to the Clio's the Megane has a significantly worse reputation... Many adverts have loooong lists of parts replaced or repaired, and that's what puts me off. I'd look for a 182 in your shoes and pick the colour and spec you're after :)

2002 clio 172
When I took my 172 to birchdown services, he said the megane sports are brilliant cars. The 230 r26 has LSD which the others don't, from what I've read. Supposed to be amazing round bends. They'll be quicker than a Clio but I doubt you're gonna put foot down and fly off the edge of the earth.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
The whole point of a 1*2 is that its small light and has a modicum of power( by today's standards) rendering it chuckable even on the road. There are many faster production cars, but they are bigger heavier more expensive, and they don't become fun until cornering at very high speeds which would be sheer folly on public roads and can end very expensively and painfully on the track.
Even my old Porsche(which can be bought for similar prices to 1*2's but wait 'til you see the parts prices and the difficulty of replacing things like clutches!) has such good handling that its only on a track that you can really begin to enjoy it.

classic mini
I think I will have more fun in the 182 but I do have a caterham in the garage which is just a fun car so I'm still undecided how 'fun' I want to go with my daily driver. I take it the 182's and 197's are very similar interior and gadget wise? Coming from a mini with a cd player being the most modern gadget, I wouldn't mind a few driving assists

Swift Sport
They vary in terms of spec... Most Clio Sports will have climate control, cruise control and things like auto wipers and headlights. Pretty well equipped again their rivals in comparison.

As a general rule, avoid Cup spec Clio's if you want toys and gadgets, but don't confuse that with 'Cup Pack' a cup pack is a good thing :)

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I have just bought FF182, and It has loads of toys, as Ste said, Climate control, auto lights, auto wipers, which I find a pain in the ar"e, But it is quite well spec'd for a small car, I don't even find the driving position either, plenty of room and I am 6ft 2....

Willo