ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new brakes??

2002 clio 172
my car seems to have developed a noise that sounds like its coming from the front drivers side wheel. it sounds like something metal and smooth is brushing against something metal and smooth.. like a chewchewchewchew sound (not a train!). happens when ive been driving fairly quick. obviously stops when car stops. thinking something rubbing on the brakes maybe? been nearly 2 years since i had discs and pads done.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
If the discs & pads look ok, it could be pad deposits on the disc. Do you sit at traffic lights with your foot on the brake, or do you use the handbrake?

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Warped disc maybe?

Warped discs are very rare (if everything is working as it should be, ie no sticky callipers). It usually is uneven brake pad deposits on discs that can cause the slight vibration through pedal but OP hasn't mentioned that

Sounds like pads....

check before you buy stuff.
remove the wheel, measure the disc thickness (dunno what minimum is though) and look at the pads (thickness)

Yep, metal on metal sound could be there isn't much meat left on the pads

The minimum thickness for the front brake discs is 21.8mm (they are 24mm thick new)

2002 clio 172
Warped discs are very rare (if everything is working as it should be, ie no sticky callipers). It usually is uneven brake pad deposits on discs that can cause the slight vibration through pedal but OP hasn't mentioned that

Yep, metal on metal sound could be there isn't much meat left on the pads

The minimum thickness for the front brake discs is 21.8mm (they are 24mm thick new)

Ok will have a look after work. Thanks. Also got your pm mate so will be in touch once I've had a look.