ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new brakes question

Clio MK 4
I've never thought about upgrading my brakes as naturally you think f**k that i'll make my car quicker. But was driving the other day round some country roads and realised how shite my brakes are and how much better my clio would handle and feel if i had bigger brakes that actually slowed me down properly lol.

So wondered if anyone had info on upgraded brakes so like what to get and prices.

Clio MK 4
what does that come with pads? disks? calipers? I know nothing on brakes or understand much bout them apart from the obvious

Audi TT 3.2 V6
DS2500's brembo HC's braided lines DOT 5.1

end of thread

Brake Pads - DS2500's
Brake Discs - Brembo High Carbon's
Brake Lines - Goodridge Braided Brake Lines
Brake Fluid - DOT 5.1

No new callipers required with that lot, and by all accounts it will stop you on a 10p piece :)

You dont need anything better than the stock setup on the rear brakes.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Think the parts are around the following price wise -

Brake Pads - DS2500's £90
Brake Discs - Brembo High Carbon's £60
Brake Lines - Goodridge Braided Brake Lines £45
Brake Fluid - DOT 5.1 £10-20

You can ofcourse save money by shopping around and using ebay. I bought some braided lines a few weeks back for £17 posted. I also got Brembo max discs which are normally £120 ish for £70 posted.

Discs and pads...depends if you do any track days or not. If you do track days prob 12months i guess. If you just use the car on the road then should last you a couple of years really.

Russ

Clio MK 4
Thats cool. Won't be using my car on tracks.

So is it best to get all those things from different places or can you get the whole lot as a package type thing?

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Yozzasport used to sell them as a package im pretty sure. Although it doesn't appear they have much at all in stock now on their website.

You might find it cheaper to source them all independently if you can be arsed.

Eg get the discs from GSF, braided lines wait for an ebay bargain.

Clio MK 4
nice one. Cheers for your help. Might get bit by bit over next couple months. I just thought that my car would drive so much better with better brakes as mine at the mo are quite shite and seem to be fading

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Yeah, i did the same mate. When you buy piece by piece you dont miss the money so much as its not so much of a financial hit.

In the mean time you might want to go to a garage and have a brake bleed/fluid change. Wont cost you much at all and will more than likely make a big improvement

Audi TT 3.2 V6
Could be. I dont know though. Depends how hard youve been pushing your brakes. Your definition of pushing them could be different to mine etc :) Hard to say without driving the car

Audi TT 3.2 V6
EBC all the way
You think? Which EBC you have in mind?

Ive heard Green stuff fade really easily rendering them leathal and Red stuff take a hell of alot of heat to get going. Never really heard much on Yellow at all. Cant say ive heard anyone say they own them

rSi

Silver 182
Like the others Im now getting brake fade on my 05' 182 and I have a sevice due so ... Im joining the ranks of the upgraded brakes!

Only problem is that I am an old git now and dont go that far, mainly school runs and out for a short blast when I have a spare 5 mins so I was wondering if DS2500 are really the best thing for me. Anyone else tried the others - Ferodo Ds Performance Brake Pads ???

Appart from that I think Im going for the obvious :-

Brembo Max Grooved Front Brake Discs
Goodridge Braided Brake Lines
DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid

TA

Si.

rSi

Silver 182
hmm someone else has said not to bother with the MAX discs, I was only thinking of them as they look cool. so maybe ill just stick with the standard brenbo 280mm.

Anyone have much squeal from the DS2500 or DS performance?

Lionel Richie
if you fit them correctly you should be fine, you might have the odd one, but i've only had one or 2 cars do it

Clio 182 FF/Cup Packs
I went for the same

-Braided Lines
-Brembo HCs
-DS2500
-5.1 fluid/ urm maybe Dot4?

When i did it i used DOT 4, car says Dot 4 only and my friend whose a mechnic at Vauxhall for 15years told me 5.1 is not safe in a road car, something about it's inability to absorb even a tiny bit of water, i'm no professional and value his opinion so went with him and Renault and used DOT4.

As a result i beat my friend in his trophy down a really twisty lane, because after the 2nd corner he had no brakes lol :D

Never managed to fade the DS2500, always faded the std ones.

Before you fit the DS2500 buy some CG wheel guard sealant to stop the brake dust getting stuck on your wheels. Otherwise they're v.hard to clean.

Best thing i ever did. Although they do squeel way more then standard, it's not unbearable or everytime. curiously i find they squeel under 20mph more then any other time. Would still buy them again.

I've engaged ABS at 80MPH with these, thank god i had them :)