ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New brakes, disappointed

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
[no problem with the sparks, just looks cool when you brake hard in the dark![/quote]

I like the idea of that!:)

CB600FS
Okay this could be a well daft question but do Ferodo not do discs that go with the DS2500s or do discs atall?

172 cup
with the PF's the dust sticks to the paint and the wheels, its not a bother for the track boys as they generally don't give a toss what the car looks like!

the dust does come off (yoz "forgot" to clean his cup for 12months, i spent a week sorting it out prior to FCS 07! LOL)

oh and he's found a wheel cleaner that gets the PF dust off aswell

What brand is that wheel cleaner then? All the ones i have used have been poor!

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Things seem a little better now.

I would say the pads and discs are an improvement over O.E.M. stuff. Used the other day from +100 m.p.h. repeatedly. No hint of fade, decent resistance to late braking and good biting.

Again, once cooled completely, noticed lack of biting and less stopping power for about five minutes.

Planning on having the brakes bled once more in the next two weeks. When Ren-Tech fitted the discs,pads and hoses, Castrol dot 4 was used. Would it be better to opt for dot 5 when have the brakes bled?

Clio 172 ff
Glad your brakes got better. I'd say it's normal that the ds2500 doesn't have such a great bite initially. But if you're aware of it and warm them up a little each time before you gun it, it's fine. Doesn't really take much, according to my experience.

As for brake fluid: First of all, that should be dot 5.1, not dot 5. Dot 5 is silicone based and is not compatible with dot 3, dot 4 or dot 5.1. Therefore, it should only be used if you completely rebuild the hydraulic system. But I'm sure you don't want to do that. Also, dot 5 fluid, unlike dot 4 or dot 5.1, doesn't absorb water. That sounds like an advantage, but as far as safety goes, it really isn't. So, as long as you don't get water in the system, it's fine, but if you do, it's dangerous. Don't know about the UK, but in Germany, it's illegal to use dot 5 on the road. And in any case, dot 5 should not be used with ABS braking systems, afaik.

So, a high quality dot 4 should actually be sufficient. I'm using ATE Super Blue Racing which is a dot 4 specification but does have a dry boiling point of 280°C and of 198°C wet.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
^ Thanks for both replies.:)

I've used motul equipment before, no problems.

The difference between these products and dot 5 or dot 5.1 is???

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
After 1500 miles I think I can honestly say I'm now happy with the brakes and the performance they offer.

I suspect if there is air in the system, it's very minimal as proved by some hard driving the other night.:)

Over the weekend when we endured some unpleasant weather, I went out in the car in the early hours of Sunday morning to "test" the cars ability in the pouring rain on my local circuit.

Absolutelty superb is the best way to describe it!:)

Braking was left very late before cornering. Excellent bite, pedal feel and resistance to fade. Wonderful grip by the Exalto's on the rain soaked roads.

Driving at speeds 100+ then slaming on the anchors purposefully to determine at what point lock occurs, to give an idea of how the car behaves in bad conditions and roughly how long and at what distance it takes to reach 0. Great brakes, damn decent tyres and superb ABS system showed it didn't take long at all!:D Poise of chassis was wonderful with no squirming or twisting under braking.:D

Excellent levels of grip and balance through the twisty's with the rain hammering it down. Barreling into corners with slight braking before steering input, then building throttle, grip slowly diminshing when limits reached. Backing off throttle, grip stabilising qucikly. No unpredictable traits encountered. Minimal torque steer despite the monsoon weather!

The end result...far grater confidence in the car in these condtions, and a HUGE smile!:D :star:

What an excellent car!:star:

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
^ Shouldn't think I'll be able to deal with Clarkson at the best of times.:eek:

Can't wait to get all the handling mods for the Clio. At present everything is standard, though the ability of these Clio's is far from standard.:D

Octavia vRS tfsi
rebleed (at least 300ml out of each corner)

then give them some abuse but then drive down the motorway or something for 15min to let them cool (ie don't use them after you've got them HOT)

Must try this myself. My pedal is crap after two bleeds. Must try it again.