ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New alternator needed on 182

182 ff, classic mini
Clio 182 has been parked up for 12 months, after jump starting the car I had a 14volt reading off the battery but the electrics where playing up, so needed a new battery, new battery on and the STOP and battery light are on even from start up but it drove fine only about a 6 mile journey. The battery only reads 12.6v even with car running and it does drop with headlights on (around 11v and the car wont start once turned off) iv checked the power cable to the alternator and that readss 12v. Took the car for about a 10 mile drive today (after charging battary) it would restart just fine and battery read 12v.
I know its very likely the alternator just don't want to go to the effort and expense without checking everything else.. Especially as Iv has a 14v reading a fews days ago.
What checks can I do?
Thanks
Joel

PH2 172
Clio 182 has been parked up for 12 months, after jump starting the car I had a 14volt reading off the battery but the electrics where playing up, so needed a new battery, new battery on and the STOP and battery light are on even from start up but it drove fine only about a 6 mile journey. The battery only reads 12.6v even with car running and it does drop with headlights on (around 11v and the car wont start once turned off) iv checked the power cable to the alternator and that readss 12v. Took the car for about a 10 mile drive today (after charging battary) it would restart just fine and battery read 12v.
I know its very likely the alternator just don't want to go to the effort and expense without checking everything else.. Especially as Iv has a 14v reading a fews days ago.
What checks can I do?
Thanks
Joel

This seems to be a common problem with cars that have stood,
Check the heavy duty red output lead for copper rot, and the small exciter wire for 12v a supply & a decent uncorroded tight connection.

182 ff, classic mini
The big red wire to the alternator has a good connection, as the ring connection looked rusty I undone the nut and in the process snapped the ring off so I cut back to good new wire and put a new connection on had sparks and reads 12v. The small thin wire at the bottom of the altornator what does this do and how can I check it?
Thanks for the reply.

PH2 172
[QUOTE="joel93, post: 11688990, member: 84507" The small thin wire at the bottom of the altornator what does this do and how can I check it?
Thanks for the reply.[/QUOTE]

Excites the magnetic field.

182 ff, classic mini
Yes, battery voltage, usually 12.7v when the engine is not running, but only when the ignition is switched on, not a constant feed.
Okay I'll check that ASAP car isn't being stored at my house so may be the weekend now.