ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 197 Cup pics

TeZ

Non RS : (
LOL again WHY WHY WHY....

Oh yer it's be .1 sec quicker than the r27 f1.....

I love the white and wheels but why would anyone pay near the 14k for an interior that looks that cheap.... not functional.... but cheap.

Oh well i presume it has some form of trick suspension fancy diff....... no....ah right..... so it comes in white... GREAT :rolleyes:

i agree tbh..

TOTALLY agree.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
wonder what the depreciation will be like on these.

thats worrying me tbh, i rekon they'll drop quite heavily in the first year.

WHY DO RENAULT HAVE TO MAKE THIS SO COMPLICATED!!!!!

RS Megane DCi 175
lol @ the handbags being thrown in this thread.

Car looks really nice Lee, dodgy interior but that's not what the car is about.
Not sure it's worth trading in the Trophy though!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I like it.

Nice and raw, without being s**t.
Still yet to drive a revised 197.

Lots of odd comments, people need to remember that renault cant make another 172 cup.
EU law simply wont allow it.

Lee

BMW M2C
Please someone tell me the benefits of having this over a r27 with cup packs, i'm not asking to argue i'm asking to learn.

Its all about marketing. The R27 was a limited run which is now sold out. The Cup was always going to happen at some point. A benefit is it has a different ratio gearbox ;)

The doorcards are the same as in my Extreme - and yes, the door pull is in a better position!

Very envious Lee, I'd go for exactly the spec you have!

Cheers Jon.

So far the response on here has been very much as I expected. People who can't have one are slating it, when most of them drive cars with a far inferior interior. They can't just say, "I don't really like it" they have to come out with "I'd rather ram a red hot poker down my japs eye than drive a car with an interior like that". Then there's those saying they would just Cup pack a 197. Do the maths, that car is £1000 more from the off, then white paint costs more on the 197 than on the Cup.

To many people have lost touch with reality. It's not a cheap car by anyone's standards. It's more than I paid for my 172, 182 and Trophy. Car prices have risen. We were all spoilt by the interior of the 182 and to be honest it was only good for impressing other people. People often say the interior on the Trophy is nasty, but I don't even notice. I couldn't care less what people think of the car I drive otherwise I wouldn't have ordered a white Cup. I'm not defending my choice of car. I'm defending the car itself, as Renault listened to you lot and did what you asked. Now you are moaning about it. White was added due to the response on here and the Renaultsport forum, not it's available people are slating it.

The R27 was a serious bargain, but that's gone now. There's no point comparing the 197 or Cup to it as it was a limited run, it doesn't count.

It's only a matter of time before some of the standard 197 owners start slating it because they wish they had Cup packs! And of course those with cup packed 197s will put down the interior and spec. That's how it goes on car forums, everyone thinks there car is best. That's total b****cks. You all bought the car that was either best for you or the best you could afford. If you don't like someone else's car then of course you can say that, but there's no point trying to make your comments as harsh as you possibly can just to get a reaction.

For those of you going on about performance gains, who cares. The 197 in any guise is an amazing handling car on road and track. Figures are for the playground or the pub, whichever you frequent!

Anyway, that's my morning rant out the way, I'll leave you all to get on with your business. lol

Lee

BMW M2C
Mid Jan. Penciled in for 15th. They're just waiting on the F & F form before they give me a solid date. Once I get it back I just need to sign it and drop it in.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
For those of you going on about performance gains, who cares. Figures are for the playground or the pub, whichever you frequent!

Playground chap for sure ;)

I just wish ariel would make a weather proof atom then my search would be over.

Lee

BMW M2C
For those of you going on about performance gains, who cares. Figures are for the playground or the pub, whichever you frequent!

Playground chap for sure ;)

I just wish ariel would make a weather proof atom then my search would be over.

For me there is no replacement for the Trophy, but I can't keep it forever.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Do you not think a stock 197 outhandles a trophy?

But then its all down to personal taste, i dont like the trophys rear end setup- feels odd.
Yet i prefer the 197, it likes being thrown round corners.

Must get a test drive sorted.

Lee

BMW M2C
I don't know about out handle, but like you I prefer the 197 on track. The Trophy has an old school hot hatch lose rear end that's for sure. I reckon I could lap most UK circuits consistently quicker in a 197 than in the Trophy.

The 197 is so well planted you can really take the piss and come out of a corner looking like a hero. Just ask anyone who came out with me at Brands last year in the standard black 197. lol Sm wrc can give a good account of how to drive a 197. "Lee I'd keep off those kerbs they're still slippy". As I use all the kerb on the exit Druids.

I spent a lot of time in the R27 at Bedford and Oulton this year and it does offer a better setup than the 197, for me anyway. Both are certainly not as harsh as the Trophy. Old age creeping in again!!

Last edited:
  2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
Looks lovely Lee..nice choice im sure ill have one as well in time! :approve:

How much to swap 6k?

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
That's pretty much bang on Paul.

i can see why you are doing it! as you do the miles...ive not liked the 197 that much untill the cup / r27 (the one with the decals).. ill have to see the cup in real life :approve:

Lee

BMW M2C
That's pretty much bang on Paul.

i can see why you are doing it! as you do the miles...ive not liked the 197 that much untill the cup / r27 (the one with the decals).. ill have to see the cup in real life :approve:

I'm glad someone can see the method to my madness. I do a fair few miles and enjoy the odd track day. For that I want warranty. lol

Clio 172 mk2
Its all about marketing. The R27 was a limited run which is now sold out. The Cup was always going to happen at some point. A benefit is it has a different ratio gearbox ;)

The doorcards are the same as in my Extreme - and yes, the door pull is in a better position!

Very envious Lee, I'd go for exactly the spec you have!

Cheers Jon.

So far the response on here has been very much as I expected. People who can't have one are slating it, when most of them drive cars with a far inferior interior. They can't just say, "I don't really like it" they have to come out with "I'd rather ram a red hot poker down my japs eye than drive a car with an interior like that". Then there's those saying they would just Cup pack a 197. Do the maths, that car is £1000 more from the off, then white paint costs more on the 197 than on the Cup.

To many people have lost touch with reality. It's not a cheap car by anyone's standards. It's more than I paid for my 172, 182 and Trophy. Car prices have risen. We were all spoilt by the interior of the 182 and to be honest it was only good for impressing other people. People often say the interior on the Trophy is nasty, but I don't even notice. I couldn't care less what people think of the car I drive otherwise I wouldn't have ordered a white Cup. I'm not defending my choice of car. I'm defending the car itself, as Renault listened to you lot and did what you asked. Now you are moaning about it. White was added due to the response on here and the Renaultsport forum, not it's available people are slating it.

The R27 was a serious bargain, but that's gone now. There's no point comparing the 197 or Cup to it as it was a limited run, it doesn't count.

It's only a matter of time before some of the standard 197 owners start slating it because they wish they had Cup packs! And of course those with cup packed 197s will put down the interior and spec. That's how it goes on car forums, everyone thinks there car is best. That's total b****cks. You all bought the car that was either best for you or the best you could afford. If you don't like someone else's car then of course you can say that, but there's no point trying to make your comments as harsh as you possibly can just to get a reaction.

For those of you going on about performance gains, who cares. The 197 in any guise is an amazing handling car on road and track. Figures are for the playground or the pub, whichever you frequent!

Anyway, that's my morning rant out the way, I'll leave you all to get on with your business. lol

Well said

TBH I'm not that good a driver and don't do trackdays so would probably never buy that cup version but choose something a bit more lardy/comfy.

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
LOL.. most will boil down to jelously! ^^ :eek: - im anti new cars at the moment - having bought a new lotus last year and lost 4+ which wasnt to bad to be driving around a 56 plate (made for me elise) i dont know if id buy another new car - i dont know which is best

a) ex demo were ever knob has driven it!
b) new car and loose to much money imo!
c) One with say 10k + on the clock that will have a few marks on it..and ill be all the time trying to make it look like a new car lol.. :eek:

Ad

MK2 FRS
Got to say I love it in white, especially with the black parts. Agree the R27 was a bargain and would be a tough choice personally to chose between the two, and if it has to be a new car then there isnt any to be had as said, but the interior is no were near as bad as people are making out and the recaros make up most of the difference.

Lowered a little with the speedline options and it will be even more stunning!

Golf GTI PP Mk7
well said lee! im not slating it, as said, id probably end with one, just airing my views, lol.

it does look sexual tho, and those recaros are making me a little too moist. for the price, its sensational.

ive got an appraisal in an hour, and im gonna angle for a pay rise, then i can roder one :p

Lewis.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Nice one, on getting a Cup, as your actually going to use it on track, so it fits the bill.

I love the white and black wheels

Clio 182
Nice choice Lee, I dont know how people can be so fussed about an interior...like you said when your driving you dont notice. Spot on spec too, white rocks :D

Turbo LY R27
Love it...

Tho i'd still have my R27 as it cost less and has more spec..

Yes i am for realy sorry,

I am with Alan and a few others will think the same.

Really that botherd about dull lifeless white paint? Sorry im not.

Dam right! Dont quite get the whole whit thing, prob look better with tints, colourcoded and white speedlines.

Just think renault could of added a few sportier bits eg, at least r27 pedals and steering wheel? And the door pull WTF! Hardly a weight saver now is it? Looks a bit tacky for the money and only 20kg's weight saving and really that much of a focused car to be honest. IMO. But would like to drive one tho before i pass to much judgement so i can see what its like compared to my r27.:)

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
i like the car lee dont get me wrong

but i think swapping the trophy and @ 007 as well for that??

id keep the trophy and purchase a warranty from another company myself.

but thats only my 2ps worth if your happy then dont listen to anybody else.

if it where my money and i had to have a 197 id go with 197 plus cup packs or a F1.

but what your getting for the money as i belive you get freinds and family discount so you cant go wrong whatever

Aye, I don't believe he has disclosed how much he payed for it and knowing his past track record I'd wager he is paying no where near list price!

Of course it makes sense at that price.

Turbo LY R27
^^^ Not slagging off your car neil g, just in case you think i am, basically i was just hoping they bought out one that was similar to 172/172cup, then tbh i would of prob gone for it instead of r27.

Lee

BMW M2C
^^^ Not slagging off your car neil g, just in case you think i am, basically i was just hoping they bought out one that was similar to 172/172cup, then tbh i would of prob gone for it instead of r27.

That's an odd thing to say. The 172 was kitted out with all the luxuries and the Cup is as raw as they come. The 197 Cup sits in the middle of the two.

To produce a 197 the same spec as a 172 used to be would push costs up even more so.

Last edited:
  Renault Clio S
I think it's going to be a while before I warm to the new shape. Possible beccuase 75% of all 07 hatches from the likes of Renault, Vauxhall, Ford, Toyota et al all look the same to me. There's no real design distinction.

Nice motor though.

IF they had made the interior look like that to save weight, fair enough.

But they haven't, theyve done it to save there manafacturing costs (and making slightly cheaper to the consumer).

That interior is pure gash for a 2007 car, not just the lack of features but the layout etc. Complete lack of thought, its been worked on a system of "lets downgrade every part possible" as opposed to "lets work out how we can save weight".