ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Network contacting you to upgrade your phone..? And new phone ideas?

FF RB 182
Been due an upgrade since October 2011, never had a call off Orange to upgrade my phone, seems a bit strange. Do they not do this any more? Spend about £45 a month on average and had a couple bills £200-500 for a month.

I wouldn't mind a new phone, currently got a HTC Sensation thing. Does the job, everytime I look at a getting a new phone a 24 month contract puts me off. And no phones really strike out to me.. do like the look of the HTC One, or maybe new Samsung S4. No iPhone thanks.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
So you've carried on paying £45 (or £200-500 at times!) a month for 18 months after your last contract ran out and and you're put off by 24 month contracts.

​FLOL....FLOL...

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I don't think they do phone you, i've heard off companies phoning you pretending to be orange etc,

But anyway FLOL.

DB.

BMW 440i
Been due an upgrade since October 2011, never had a call off Orange to upgrade my phone, seems a bit strange. Do they not do this any more? Spend about £45 a month on average and had a couple bills £200-500 for a month.

I wouldn't mind a new phone, currently got a HTC Sensation thing. Does the job, everytime I look at a getting a new phone a 24 month contract puts me off. And no phones really strike out to me.. do like the look of the HTC One, or maybe new Samsung S4. No iPhone thanks.

Go into the shop and have a play, or at least end your contract and get a sim only deal at about half the price you are paying! You're throwing about £20 a month down the drain at the moment

Focus
So you've carried on paying £45 (or £200-500 at times!) a month for 18 months after your last contract ran out and and you're put off by 24 month contracts.

​FLOL....FLOL...

Was thinking the same....

On a serious note I've read a few good things about the HTC one, google it, also take a look at mobiles.co.uk and register on quidco. My 2 pennies.

FF RB 182

​FLOL....FLOL...

Not bothered about how much its costing me a month. Just don't like the 24 month contracts due to the upgrades etc.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If you're quite happy to spend £200-£500 on a mobile bill (WTF on) just go buy a phone in cash and get a sim only deal.

DB.

BMW 440i
Not bothered about how much its costing me a month. Just don't like the 24 month contracts due to the upgrades etc.

You need to elaborate on this...

​24 month has be one the industry standard, if you don't like contracts then why not just get sim only?

Someone so oblivious to the amount of money they are wasting doesn't seem the type to be bothered about being tied up for 24 months, and paying full wack for 18 months without upgrading to get a new phone....for free.

FF RB 182
They were from using my phone out in Asia roaming costs are mad.

HTC One or a S4 are what i'm thinking.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
12 month contracts are readily available, got my S2 on a 12 month, decided to keep it past my upgrade (nothing new offered much more for continuing to pay £30+ a month) so I got a SIM only and now pay £15 quid for stupidly high minutes, unlimited texts and 500mb of data.

One of my favourite decisions - when you sign up to a contract for like £40 a month at the start, it doesn't seem like much, but every time £40 left my account I always thought is this really worth it? Paying fair whack for a new phone every upgrade that you do nothing with that you couldn't do on the smart phone you had 2 years ago.

FF RB 182
You need to elaborate on this...

​24 month has be one the industry standard, if you don't like contracts then why not just get sim only?

Someone so oblivious to the amount of money they are wasting doesn't seem the type to be bothered about being tied up for 24 months, and paying full wack for 18 months without upgrading to get a new phone....for free.

I haven't upgraded/taken out a new contract in a long while now. 18 months - Oct 11.

I hear what you guys are saying, but i do waste alot of money.. i'm still paying 2 lots for phone insurance.. I did a bit of money saving 2 months ago and cut my outgoings by £200.

DB.

BMW 440i
They were from using my phone out in Asia roaming costs are mad.

HTC One or a S4 are what i'm thinking.

HTC one - £41 on Orange, unlimited texts and minutes and 3GB data, phone - £30. Job sorted? Phone them and do it?

Bumder With A Buffer
Arse this reminds me that my contract runs out end of April..

Yet I still have to give 30 days notice to cancel the contract :S

The contract is 24 months so should finish then not 25 months.

DB.

BMW 440i
Arse this reminds me that my contract runs out end of April..

Yet I still have to give 40 days notice to cancel the contract :S

The contract is 24 months so should finish then not 25 months.

So surely you should have given the notice 40 days before the end of April?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I find orange to be very good at rewarding users for sticking with them. I have an iPhone 4 and iPad 2 contract with them, as well as 2 sim only contracts, one of which is for an iPhone. Unlimited texts and minutes on all, 2gb data on iPhone and iPad and 1gb on the iPhone sim only.

all of the above, with insurance on my iPhone with no upfront costs (had the iPhone and iPad last jan, hence the 4 and 2) costs me £80 amonth. Billy bargain if you ask me!!

Bumder With A Buffer
I edited my post..its a month (which I understand is the norm)

Have been away in Africa since start of February with work. And had no service (I turn off roaming etc).

Attempted to do it online at an internet cafe but they insist on ringing up, which from the backwaters of Gambia is not do-able.

Just seems a really crap way for contracts...sign up for 24 months so should finish after 24 months. Phone contracts really are rubbish.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Phone contracts are just buying the phone on finance with a sim free deal chucked in, that's how I see them.

Bumder With A Buffer
Aye I have a giff gaff sim here ready to set-up once contract ends.

Always had a phone on contract btu have seen the error of my ways

FF RB 182
Taking the piss.. Ordered new phone start of week.. nothing so called up today.. order didn't go through. they ran out of stock, stock came in yesterday but still my order wasnt processed. So women cancelled it all and is crediting money back to me.. so tried to order it again tonight.... no confirmation nothing updated.. and when i log into my account it still says i can choose any phone i want for free. Tempted to just go into a shop tomorrow and get it there and then... but don't want a phone turning up next week and having more hassle. Will be calling up again tomorrow to see what the f**k is going on.