ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need some advice...

Monaco 37/468
Hi Guys,

Before I got my 172 I had a Polo 1.0L. As soon as I got my clio I put this up for sale and parked it on my street, and changed the insurance policy over to the clio, so I was no longer insured to drive the Polo.

Now, last night I wrote an ad for Auto Trader, and intended to take some photos of the polo today to upload, and get the car for sale on there. However, today the bin men came down the street and went down the side of the polo, scratching the side, denting the door and ripping part of the plastic trim off.

Basically, what I need to know is do I have a leg to stand on if I ring the council and tell them this, or am I in the wrong for not having the car insured even though it is not being driven?

I would appreciate your views on this one guys.

Cheers,
Tom

Monaco 37/468
Well that's what I thought, just tax. The car can't go anywhere, so why would it need to be insured to just sit there? :S

Monaco 37/468
Anyone else? Really need some advice, don't want to ring the council for them to get me done if I am in the wrong!

ITB'd MK1
car needs to be insured to be parked on the road. However there's no reason your own insurance has to be involved to make a claim against someone. just get the car off the road now

Monaco 37/468
I've been reading elsewhere and people are saying that it is not illegal to park a car on the road without insurance, only to drive it. If I take the car off the road then I would definatley have no leg to stand on with the council because then the truck wouldn't have hit the car in the first place :S

I've been reading elsewhere and people are saying that it is not illegal to park a car on the road without insurance, only to drive it. If I take the car off the road then I would definatley have no leg to stand on with the council because then the truck wouldn't have hit the car in the first place :S

i would have thought you do NOT need insurance to have it parked on the road, as say someone whos fully comp on their own car could come along and drive it 3rd party with your permission....

Monaco 37/468
Exactly right mate. The truck caused the accident, whether the car was insured or not it would have still been hit. I just want to get the right information before i ring and bollock the council for employing s**t drivers. Anyone else's views on this would be highly appreciated, supportive or not of my points of view.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The only thing i am unsure of is whether THE CAR needs to be insured to some degree for someone with fully comp insurance to drive it...

If you can find this out then you would be fine to ring up the council as if you are fully comp on the clio and old enough to make use of the "drive other cars on third party insurance" thing, and the above solution is true, you could move or even drive the car as third party... i'll try look around for something to help you.

would it even matter though because technically he will be claiming through the councils insurance and not involving his own?

when i had a crash that wasnt my fault it went all through the other persons, didnt even come close to my own

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah i know what you mean jord, but there is always that risk they could say try to be ridiculous about it, claiming the vehicle shouldnt even be on the road as its not insured?

Personally i think it'll be fine as you've said and shouldnt even question his insurance in the slightest, but here's another few options anyway....

Ring up your local police station or DVLA or someone tommorrow and say something along the lines of

"I have just purchased another car and moved the insurance from my existing car to it, it still has tax and MOT but no insurance... can i still leave it on a public road or do i have to move it onto a driveway or something similar"

Or look through the insurance documents and see if the you were to be driving a car using third party cover as part of your fully comp policy does it have to be insured in the first place...

Just an few ideas?

Last edited:
  Monaco 37/468
Yeah I will ring the DVLA first, then try the police and see what they say, thanks for the idea! Any other advice would be great! :D

If you make a claim off another person's insurance, as far as I know it goes on the database of claims so will show up when you later get quotes.

I'm not sure if that will be a problem or not? and I'm not sure if you could be a bit stuffed if the council insurers ask to speak to your insurers... (it could happen, even though they have no reason to ask.)

Do you have proof that it was the bin men that caused the problem. Do you have witnesses or did the bin men admit liability? If not it could prove to be a alot of hassle and no doubt time consuming (it is the council after all!!) Get a quote for the repairs and weigh up the cost against the hassle and the delay in selling. If it takes 6 months to year to sort out, you could lose a lot more in depreication and re-advertising cost.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
this happend to a girl i know the car was delivered to the house early, but it had tax and every thing but their insurance didnt kick in for a few days, so they though just leave it, some clown crashes in to the car, and her husband got 5 points for having an uninsured car on the highway, even if the car doesnt move its still on the road apparently it needs insurance.
he's still a named driver under his wife as he cant get insurance in his own name for another year until he doesn't need to declare it. because even being 32 its still a huage black mark against him and getting higher quotes than my we bro.

In an accident, someone, i.e the accident causer must pay out, regardless of your insurance, tax, MOT. your not at fault, even if you should have all the above anyway. Get a quote for the repairs and call them! Or send them a letter, with your proof it was the truck driver!

Monaco 37/468
Just spoke to the DVLA, they said that it would need to be insured, as a lack of insurance can actually invalidate the tax....looks like Im fucked :(

Good thing is that I know someone with a crash repair centre so I won't need to pay a lot. I'm taking it down on saturday morning to get it sorted.

Cheers guys!

Monaco 37/468
Phone who mate, the crash repair centre? I'm going down first thing to get it sorted, then getting on auto trader and getting rid. Can't wait! Should have just part exed it for the clio and had done but me being my business minded self didn't like the offer they gave me! :mad:

Phone who mate, the crash repair centre? I'm going down first thing to get it sorted, then getting on auto trader and getting rid. Can't wait! Should have just part exed it for the clio and had done but me being my business minded self didn't like the offer they gave me! :mad:

Read my previous post! :rolleyes:

It's like him driving straight over your thousand pound push bike!!!!

You don't have insurance for it, but hes destroyed your property, meaning his insurance must pay out!!!!

182 Cup
I manage a delivery fleet for a council. If I were you, I'd be claiming! If they work in a similar way to us, I imagine that they'll ask for a letter of claim (stating what happened, when, and any other details you can provide) and an estimate for the repairs to your vehicle.

A lot of councils now have their vehicles tracked and will more than likely be able to verify a particular vehicle's whereabouts at an exact time (gritters especially). If the driver is honest he will have reported the accident (if he even knew about it) and the report would have been submitted to the insurance company.

There shouldn't be any requirement for anyone to question your insurance.

2016 Audi RS3
Provided your car has MOT and Tax there shouldn't be an issue with you parking on the street. The fact it is uninsured should not matter either, you want to claim from their insurance. If someone was trying to claim from you for whatever reason it would be a different matter all together, but you are the injured party in this particular case.

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
if you are fully comp, and your insurance allows you to drive any other car. You cant drive another car 3rd party if it is registered in your own name.

if you are fully comp, and your insurance allows you to drive any other car. You cant drive another car 3rd party if it is registered in your own name.

Eh?

Generally the terms for DOC are that you can drive any other car TPO provided:

a. It is not owned, hired or leased by yourself.
b. It is seperately insured by its owner to drive.
c. You have permission from the owner to drive the car.

Unless they say "we'll sort it with your insurance company, send us the details.."

Then you just use your own soliciter!

If he had insurance then all his insurance company would do is use there solicitor, in this case he will need his own. I know this, as the same situation with my brother cropped up. Easy to solve!

Mk3 SX
Your insurance company will need to claim the damage cost from the third party insurers, as you are not insured you can't claim.

Fair enough, just wanna be careful he doesn't get advised to do anything that lands him in the brown stuff!

Seriously tho, hope you get it sorted Tom. In future, when you change your car on your policy, your insurer will often allow you to reinsure the old car for a short period on the same policy as a temporary additional vehicle for an additional fee. Would of avoided any problems!

Monaco 37/468
Yup, youre right it would. I'll get it sorted tomorrow...stuff it. Really cant be arsed with it any more might just insure it TPFT and burn it out :D