ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need. More. Power. ..cigarette lighter

Ian

Focus TDCi
Hey all, bit of help please.

Was using my sat nav the other day and it died. I thought it was because I'd left it in the car overnight and it'd got a bit of frostbite, but turns out it was the cigarette lighter, there's no power going to it. As a test I tried pushing the cigarette lighter down, but it didn't heat up.

I've had the dash trim out and tested the socket with this electrical tester thing that the British Gas man kindly left behind and it's showing there's a voltage across it. However, when I connect it back up there's no power. I tried testing the holder thing with the tester and it blew the fuse for the stereo. I'm not very up on electronics as you may by now have guessed, but why did it do that and how do I get my cigarette lighter to work?

Please help, I ended up severely off route due to lack of Sat Nav, one wrong turn ftl! :eek:

Recaro'd 182
it blew the fuse for the stero due to you probably shorting the test meter probes together. not sure why the cig plug not working. if there 12v d.c to the cig plug it has to be the fuse in the sat nav plug, but that doesnt explain why the cigarrete lighter doesnt work if you ahve voltage there.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Ah right, I see. Well I know the Sat Nav works because I've had it in another car since, but I'm just at a bit of a loss with it. Are there any connections that can come loose within the connector itself or something like that?

happened to me, i just had to put it half in instead of pushing it all the way down and wiggle it a bit :rasp:

clio sport 172
happened to me, i just had to put it half in instead of pushing it all the way down and wiggle it a bit :rasp:

is that so cobhc :lolup:

polo, here for lols
i have the same issue with my ph1. just need to have it at a particular angel for it to work. my fag lighter is shagged though.

Ian

Focus TDCi
The fuse was alright and I did try taking it out, but couldn't get the metal to separate from the dash, making it quite hard to get at anything. It seems to be working again now, so maybe whatever I did worked.. who knows.