ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need advice on gear box

Clio sport cup 200
Hi all, last night I was driving home from work and noticed every time I tried to put my car into 4th gear it would make a grinding noise (like I had pressed the clutch) every other gear is perfectly fine. Now I know your all going to say I need a new gear box. But I'm a bit annoyed to be honest because its a 59 plate clio sport cup 200 and hasn't even done 10,000 miles yet, basically my mum had the car first and never used it so has been treated with the up most respect. I've only had it since Xmas and weather has been shocking so even I've not pushed it. So it's not like its been thrashed. Obviously it's out of its warranty but surly it should go with such little use. It's obvious it's been treated well by the fact of the condition and its still go original brakes tired and what not. I'm after a bit of advice on one is it a new gear box job and second will Renault help me out as its such little mileage and third roughly how much could it cost me? Thank you everyone

RB 200
Gearboxes seem to have problems but all renault will say is that its down to the driver(s) when was it registered? if it was a few weeks before the change to 60 plate .. they COULD say good will - millage is low and all that. but I doubt it.. on the other hand. it wont be the complete gearbox thats dead ... if its a component inside then they'd be able to just supply that, not change the whole thing ... I'd guess at that being a small fortune box out, checked out, new box, box in .. ££££ ?
best get it checked out i'd say..

Ly Cliosport 200
New gearbox u will need.. Your not the worst case av seen ones needing replaced at 8k miles. Mines has been replaced at 18k miles thankfully my 200 was still under warranty and got a new one fitted for nothin. Good luck with your case.. There's a big thread about gearboxes being replaced have a look on there.

Clio sport cup 200
Thank you for your help. Ill contact Renault tomorrow see what they say. Would be my look its out of warranty lol. Yeah I'm thinking it won't all need replacing but I know nothing about engines in that way. One last question in your opinion am I better getting Renault to fix it or find a private garage? Only reason I ask is because I know some things can go against you when you come to sell. Thanx

Ly Cliosport 200
Tbh I phoned Costomer services and they were trying to do the sly one and say that's a first av heard about the gearboxes going. It's a common problem there really not good.. What u might be better doing is phoning your local Renault dealer and talk to them about the problem. Your gearbox had the same problem as mine mines crunched every time going into 3rd and I needed a new gearbox as the synchro mesh was knackered (common problem). Renault may pay for most of it. You might have to pay for a wee % of the price. Try being hard with them.. As I said look on the section about the gearboxes.

Clio sport cup 200
Cheers for that. Much appreciate it. Looks like it is very common. Only thing that goes in my favour is the millage. So ill see how much I can push ruk tomorrow and see how much it's going to cost me. Thanx again for your help

Ly Cliosport 200
I wouldn't pay a thing cause its not your fault it's a common problem gearboxes are crap.. Use that information and tell them.