ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nearside/Passenger Outer CV Boot

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Hi all,

So, knew my nearside/passenger outer cv boot was knackered as a couple of months ago I had to pack a load of grease in as the clip had come loose. I also noticed that it was cracking but not split and didn't look too bad. Fast forward to today when I was under the car doing the exhaust and was greeted with this. Wondered where all the grease on the wheels was coming from hahah.

I've done some searching and I'm a bit confused. A lot of posts saying driveshaft will need to come out to replace the boot and some saying it's easier just to replace the whole driveshaft. Is this more so for the inner boot rather than outer?

What will be the easiest/cheapest way of sorting it? Can I just take the hub etc off and replace the boot with driveshaft in place?

Thanks

image.jpeg

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Never had any funny noises from it so assume the joint itself is still ok. Gonna drive my GF's car until I can get it sorted though so I don't cause any more damage.

Possible to change the boot to a genuine one with the driveshaft in place then? Or would I need one of these stretchy boots to do that?

dan's cast offs.
get a stretch boot, saves taking the joint off. although it's not that hard to get the joint off though.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
get a stretch boot, saves taking the joint off. although it's not that hard to get the joint off though.

Found a video on YouTube which shows how to replace the driveshaft so removing the hub and everything so if I wanted to use a stretchy one I can do that, but if I wanted to get a normal one, how would I get the joint itself off?

dan's cast offs.
joint is clipped on to the shaft, have had some with circlip you pry open and some with snap ring so you knock the joint off the shaft.