ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nearly got written off just now..... by a clio !!

BMW M3
Driving home from tesco just now, drive up behind an Audi, which has a slow moving clio in front of him. The roads got 2 lanes... ones a bus lane. So as the zone is 40 mph, and the buslane is free, and after 06:30... i decide to pass them in the bus lane while still being under the limit. (not sure on the legality of it but anyway...)

Pass the Audi... no probs. Getting up to this clio and alarm bells start ringing. Something feels odd. I decide to get out the clios blind spot ASAP incase they make a dodgy move. Just as im accelerating, clio indicates left and pulls into my lane immediately.... where im sat.

On straight away with the horn, and Ferodos working overtime.... but the other clio does not react..... Im thinking "this is it clio.... your gonna get hurt my son" I manage to mount the kerb a bit, which has a very low kerb at that point so no damage. So im driving half way along this kerb, with the clio only an inch from me and then i missed this pole by mms on the other side. Honestly, if id played it any differently in measurements.... i would not be a happy boy just now.

So, we both pulled over, certain we had hit, no damage on any cars (thanks to me lol) and off we went.

Ive always thought i would write my 182 off in some spectactualr crash on a country road, this way would have been far more boring. lol

But hitting a pole at 30-40 mph i would have though would mean bye bye clio... yes?

A+ for the Audi drivers quick reactions too.

:)

BMW M3
Yeah, im not sure if its legal of not. Obviously in normal dual roads or carrageways its illegal, but taxis and buses can pass you in the bus lane so why cant car pass in 'out of use' times ?

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU
Im thinking "this is it clio.... your gonna get hurt my son"

The qoute bit made me laugh.
What did the Audi driver do, sorry if I missed that when reading.
Sounds like you had a close call though.

BMW M3
Im thinking "this is it clio.... your gonna get hurt my son"

The qoute bit made me laugh.
What did the Audi driver do, sorry if I missed that when reading.
Sounds like you had a close call though.

He was behind the other clio and then moved in behind me to pass as well i think. Then the clio and I slammed on our brakes and he managed to swerve round us instantly.

1.8 8v RSi
now thats a close one...as far as i know....as bus lans for buses often taxis to.....law says undertakings illegal and dangerous....probably for that very reason....was probably tryin to move out the way of the audi to let him past...

BMW M3
Yes, i think you probably right. Willl remember that for the future. But i was only going a few mph for then the clio in the bus lane so i didnt think it was that wrong.

There was also a t- junction on the left coming up so i think that was the clio's intended route. He went that way after the incident.

Octavia VRS
where was this Justin? Corstorphine or Sighthill/Gorgie way perhaps? What you did happens all the time after the 6.30pm window. The other Clio driver should have been checking their mirrors, or preferable, went in the inside lane as they were holding up traffic on the outside

1.6 focus zetec....
Undertaking isnt illegal if the car in front is going way slower than the designated limit and its safe to do so....

Monaco Blue 172
my opinion if u are going to undertake, do it quickly before they get a chance to fudge you! and ALWAYS assume they are blind and deaf ;)

clio 182 black /gold
Under taking in a clio is perfectly fine especaly in a bus lane. Normaly this is not good.

BMW M3
where was this Justin? Corstorphine or Sighthill/Gorgie way perhaps? What you did happens all the time after the 6.30pm window. The other Clio driver should have been checking their mirrors, or preferable, went in the inside lane as they were holding up traffic on the outside

Corstophine area mate. Going west on Glasgow Road, just before the Jag garage..... for a minute i thought it would be my clios resting place lol

I had given the clio enough time to see me in that lane, so when i went to pass i thought it would be ok. Still, whether it was undertaking or not, they should check mirrors before changing lanes.

Mercedes C Class Sport
Well undertaking is illegal yes, but if you are doing the speed limit or below and you still are undertaking, are you actually doing anything wrong? E.g when your on the motorway and you have some idiot in the middle lane just not even overtaking anything, and your doing 70 in the left hand lane and you go past him...that seems legit to me!

Turbos.
Similar things happen to be on the south circular. The Polish immigrants in their beat up cars can't read the signs so stay out of the bus lanes even when you're allowed in them.

FF cupped Arctic 182

Corstophine area mate. Going west on Glasgow Road, just before the Jag garage..... for a minute i thought it would be my clios resting place lol

I had given the clio enough time to see me in that lane, so when i went to pass i thought it would be ok. Still, whether it was undertaking or not, they should check mirrors before changing lanes.

So often folks don't check their mirrors, when I first passed my test I nearly pulled out because I was that nervous being on the road on my own i forgot to check my mirrors.... the guy I did this too then tried to run me off the road, I was pretty hysterical crying (realising what i'd done etc)- Hope he felt like a big man.

Monaco Blue 172
exactly. time has nothing to do with it. first rule of driving: assume nothing! people will NOT do what you expect them to!

bottom line tho, was it really worth the risk to save a few seconds on ur journey?!

BMW M3
It really wasnt as bad a manouver is it sounds mate..... i didnt think there was risk, everyone does it... I think Kenny knows what i mean. I was still under the speed limit and i did register the other clio as a possible hazard.

I pulled into the bus lane, stayed there for a while hoping the clio will spot me, and then accelerated to get passed. It all would have taken a few secs, but they decided to pull out as soon as i was level.

Sods law..... im guessing if we had hit, they would have been more liable then me.

Monaco Blue 172
well mounting the curb and nearly hitting a lamp post sounds pretty bad to me?! you would certainly fail a driving test for that kind of thing.

end of the day, if they were really crawling that badly u could have got past them before they even noticed and there would have been no issue. and if they weren't crawling then u could have just been a bit more patient instead and avoided the grief?

that's all i'm saying.

BMW M3
I was refering to my intended manouver mate, not what happened. Scared to cr&p out of me lol

I would normally have, "got passed before they even notice" like i did with the Audi. But when came up the clio, that 6th sense you get kicked in and i thought something was going to happen, so i waited a few secs before comitting. Turns out my 6th sense is 10 seconds too early lol