ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nath's RB track car build

Even my old ph1 was picked up on the mot for rubbing rear arches and its this high lol
IMG_4727.jpg

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I'd have a bit of a look through my parts box, as after looking at @Stu. Sunflower build I wondered whether there was a few bits I still needed for my engine refresh
IMG_1247.jpg

Now I'm going to get myself a meg crankshaft sprocket, but I think I need the camshaft seals as I can't seem to find them. I've got the blanks with the cam belt kit. Got a bottom end gasket set but could do with some pointers as to whats what
IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
Well I had a quick hour tonight after getting my parts out.

Thought I'd do a couple of easy wins, one to get the parts out of the box and two its not an issue to have the on the car.

So I set about removing the rear dampers to change them for my new cup ones
IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

Oh yeah and I've fitted the power flex black top bushes on them as well
IMG_1253.jpg

As always with a car that seen the UK for many years, plenty of easing oil was used to assist removal
IMG_1254.jpg

New damper fitted on the passenger side, not bothered with my cooksport springs until my spare rear beam is ready and since I haven't bought the PMS strengthening kit yet
IMG_1255.jpg

I decided I removed the fubar'd rear exhaust mount
IMG_1256.jpg

All done on passenger side, new damper and mount
IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

I did the same on the drivers side, those with a keen eye may have noticed my inner OCD has come out with the positioning of the damper rods!!
IMG_1259.jpg

Anyway, thanks for looking

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
Well I've done about an hour tonight, nothing exciting really

Changed the little exhaust mount about half way up the exhaust for one of the new design ones.

Did a little bit of tidying as my garage is a bit of a tip, not helped by Captain Chaos ;)

Then I moved on to doing a bit more to help along the engine removal, so I removed the gearbox oil in preparation for the driveshafts to be removed. Even though it was very manky oil the good news is it did not have any metal filings etc in it :) @Feirny thinks I should stick a Quaife in it while I have it off but that wasn't really figured out in my budget. I appreciate it'll make a difference, but it does mean I would have to take the JC5 apart which I'm not scared of doing but just don't want to f@@k anything up. Plus I believe from what I've read the crown wheel will need to be machined so the Quaife can fit in it. Does anyone have experience with this? I can get the machining done at work ;)

Anyway off to bed, thanks for looking

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
@ NorthloopCup knows all about the diff mate.
There is another LSD on the market which is alot cheaper than the Quaiffe.
I thinks it's 750€.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@NorthloopCup Can you give me some pointers?
What areas in particular mate? Quaife or the torsen? I've no experience of the torsen diffs at all, but the quaifes require the crownwheel/diff machining to effectively lock the crownwheel to each other. It's a half and half job, so 50% of the ball bearing is in the crownwheel and the other 50 is in the diff - hard to explain, so I'll take a pic of mine and put it up so you can see mate. If your wanting a Quaife let me know as I can get them for an all in price (diff+machining and fitting of cw+posted back to you) but be aware they're dearer than the torsen.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Am interested dependant on price?? Thanks for the info buddy, you got anything on the JC5?
Your looking at about £1030 mate all in. Like I say - pricey.
What info you after for the jc5 mate? In stripping down terms they're a bit of a t**t tbh! Splitting the casings to get access to the diff/gears is awkward, oh and they wear the coupling teeth on the gear rather than the synchro itself!

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
Your looking at about £1030 mate all in. Like I say - pricey.
What info you after for the jc5 mate? In stripping down terms they're a bit of a t**t tbh! Splitting the casings to get access to the diff/gears is awkward, oh and they wear the coupling teeth on the gear rather than the synchro itself!
A general arrangement drawing of the box would be good, or a copy of the renault manual. I have read there is one, but not seen any floating about ;)

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
Well quick update for tonight, had a couple of hours on it

Again I had issues with age related problems this evening, I was unable to get the driveshaft nuts off even with my big bar so had to remove them with the hub to get them out of the way. So that ate up a lot of time messing about getting everything undone. So the hub/driveshaft is something I will have to address later.

I also had issues with removing the front damper top mount nut when stripping even though I used plenty of easing oil. Not sure whether someone went OTT when they last had them off, but managed to bend my 6mm allen key socket :(

Having issues with photo stream this evening so no pictures again!!

Well on another note I have purchased pure motorsports gear linkage kit and also the rear beam strengthening kit. So I plan to modify the spare rear beam I have, it came of a cup packed 182 I believe some time ago from @Coops Turbo

Anyway thanks for looking

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
With regards to the driveshaft nuts I made the mistake of not removing them when stripping the car as I was in a rush to get it in for its cage. It was only last week I removed them and it was easy really.

Drill the nut in the 4 areas where there is no castellation and drive a punch down the hole to crack the nut. Hey presto spins off with ease :)

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
With regards to the driveshaft nuts I made the mistake of not removing them when stripping the car as I was in a rush to get it in for its cage. It was only last week I removed them and it was easy really.

Drill the nut in the 4 areas where there is no castellation and drive a punch down the hole to crack the nut. Hey presto spins off with ease :smile:

Cheers for the advice buddy, I'll do that ;)

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
Well I thought I better update my thread since I haven't really posted since February.

Unfortunately the sunflower hasn't progressed much since February as it has spent most of its time under a cover outside. The reason for this is we have been doing some garage remodelling!!
IMG_1305.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

There is also a change of plan, I knew it was a CAT C/D when I got it but it has always been in the back of my mind. So I will taking a 450 mile round trip to pick up a very nice RB shell on saturday. I will then be finishing removing all the bits of the sunflower that I need, then splitting/scrapping the rest.

I'll try and be a bit more proactive in getting things done and posted on here

nath&alex

ClioSport Club Member
Well time for a quick update.....

As mentioned before I was going to pick up RB shell a yesterday, it was a just a shell so I had to draw up a list of what bits I would need to take to make it back into a rolling shell so I could stick on a car trailer. Here I have to make a special thank you to @George@RTR_Parts as without his excellent service I would have been short of some crucial parts!!
Here's my car packed up with everything I thought I need including lots of tools
IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

So I got up at 02:45hrs yesterday, a mate from work then came round and we set of on our journey at 03:30hrs with a fantastic lighting show in the sky as there was a massive thunderstorm!! After a number of diversions on our route we finally arrived around 08:00hrs in Ashford, met up with Craig and deal was done. We set about putting stuff back on the car which unfortunately I haven't got pics of.
But we install:
  • Swopped the 182 hubs for my 172 hubs
  • Installed cup suspension with cooksport springs
  • front discs and rear disc
  • Pure motorsport stud kit
  • 2118s
Then we had to pull it out of his little tenty garage thingy onto the trailer
IMG_1538.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

Including loading up it took us 2 hours so by 10:00hrs we were heading back up North, with a stop for some food obviously!!
IMG_1541.jpg

Now in position on my drive ready to steal some bits from the sunflower to make it whole again!! I am also collating a list of parts I need, first I think I need some window switches so I can close the drivers window!! Good job it didn't rain on the way home
IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

If anyone can give pointers as to what colour wires I need to link together to get the window shut it will be greatly appreciated

Thanks for looking

All sorts
That did cross my mind about cutting it out and smoothing it across but then I thought people might not like that option, decisions decisions ha ha