ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My two day detailing marathon

Fiesta ST-3
This was suppost to be one day but due to the car breaking down this morning and all my detailing stuff being locked in the garage until 3.30pm it's now going to take me two days. But here is my progress so far.

Some before

DSC_0015_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0016_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0017_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0018_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0020_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0024_edited-1.jpg

I started out jet washing the car down to remove any surface and loose dirt the best I could. Then with my lambswool wash mit and Dodo juice supernatural I set about washing the surfaces down.

Then once rinsed with the pressure washer I removed all the tar I could with some tar remover and then set about claying down the surfaces rinsing in between and washing the surface once more after the clay.

DSC_0025_edited-1.jpg

Then it was down to the machine polisher. I used some megs 6 and and megs scratch remover on a glase pad. I was going to use my dodo juice prime lime but it turned out its prime lime light? So I wasn't sure if its the same stuff. I will be asking Gally next :).

Some before and afters of my machine polishing

DSC_0023_edited-1.jpg

You will notice the paint isn't in that bad condition as I machined the paint before the winter.

DSC_0028_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0031_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0038_edited-1.jpg

DSC_0036_edited-1.jpg

As you can see below I have a long way to go :(

DSC_0035_edited-1.jpg

Paint work is now machine polished. So tomorrow I need to clean the glass, wax the paint and seal. Also clean and protect the alloys, back to black etc.

I also corrected my headlights that are 100 years old.

Before
DSC_0040_edited-1.jpg

After
DSC_0041_edited-1.jpg

Headlights took me 20 minutes each at most. More updates tomorrow.

Corsa Van. Meh.
Some sun round here would be nice. Been pants round here. Need to clean mine, its been about 8 months.

Makes me want to do mine again, how long has it took so far ? I also have lime prime lite, it says no abrasives so i assume there is no cut involved.
Looks nice and fresh :approve:

Fiesta ST-3
Day Two

So this morning I set about finishing off the car. Got up and was started by 8am. Bloody freezing it was to.

So I gave the car a wipe down with my polish cloth to clean the surfaces and machine polished two more panels I had left over from yesterday. Then it was onto the black bits :( Bumper strips etc which I covered in AG bumper care. Love the stuff personally.

I then cleaned the wheels down, dried and waxed (rim wax) Hate the stuff but I'm not buying poor boys until this runs out.

Then moved onto waxing the car. Used my Dodo Juice Purple Haze which is OK but I won't be buying it again when it runs out.

day22222.jpg

Buffing off the wax is always a b**ch. Its well tough. Sorry I don't have many pictures (it was freezing with soar hands)

After wax

day2222.jpg

Then it was time for AG UGP which again I personally love. Then it was a case of cleaning the glass (AG glass polish), dressing the tyres (Megs Gold class) and off to take one or two snaps. Enjoy and thanks for reading.

5496923420_5c1bcaf823_z.jpg

day2 by scott.thomas21, on Flickr

5496334241_7f51f21f40_z.jpg

day22 by scott.thomas21, on Flickr

5496340773_522e38610d_z.jpg

day222 by scott.thomas21, on Flickr

Thanks
Scott

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks fantastic mate without even 'too' much work.

Well played, really brought out the colour which I think can look dull on the cups.

The wax was hard to come off because you either left it too long on the panel or it was far too cold. :) Don't blame the wax it's actually pretty decent! :eek:

Also I wouldn't have both with the UGP.. EGP? it's not required the PH offers fantastic protection and finish. :)

Fiesta ST-3
Looks fantastic mate without even 'too' much work.

Well played, really brought out the colour which I think can look dull on the cups.

The wax was hard to come off because you either left it too long on the panel or it was far too cold. :) Don't blame the wax it's actually pretty decent! :eek:

Also I wouldn't have both with the UGP.. EGP? it's not required the PH offers fantastic protection and finish. :)

Cheers man and my bad on EGP I knew I was typing it wrong. What's all this talk of fillers then? I thought that's what EGP did?

:eek:

WOW! I now feel the need to blow £150 on a machine polisher!!!

Yea they are awsome but knowing what to do with them is the key :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
:eek:

WOW! I now feel the need to blow £150 on a machine polisher!!!
The Das-6 pro mate from Clean your car is the best DA to buy... http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis...ion-polisher-menzerna-intro-kit/prod_720.html
Cheers man and my bad on EGP I knew I was typing it wrong. What's all this talk of fillers then? I thought that's what EGP did?
No mate it's just a sealant for SRP for example, you had already locked in the finish with PH now you've pretty much topped a wax with a sealant which in detailing terms is the wrong way around.

Sealant > Wax.
Never Wax > Sealant.

The sealant won't bond to the wax very well but no big deal it'll still last a while. Filling wise i'd be looking at Blackhole or R222's pre-wax cleanser, both filler heavy. And both can be used under wax. :)

Yea they are awsome but knowing what to do with them is the key :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
If you can work it in on a glazing/finishing pad it'll come to life and fill in so many swirls it'll shock you.

At the end of the day what robs colour/light from paintwork is swirls/rds so filling them in lets the light bounce off the paint and not into it so to speak, creating a better finish, worth looking into.

A lot of detailers would be without it in their arsenal for those quick details, all cars suffer wash marring, it's almost impossible to stop this especially on a daily car.

My car was corrected by myself in October and it's got a decent amount of wash marring and road paro on it no big dela to me as it's a daily and will look fine once detailed again but any decent detailer worth their salt will tell you swirls are impossible to avoid.

Products like BH aren't cheating so to speak as you can't correct your car every 6 months it's just not possible, not only will you eventually burn through you'll thin the clearcoat which will let more sun into the basecoat.

CBR1K, F21 125D
Wax not correctly applied / layering to thick would be issue.

Dab of QD and wipe is all it should need to be taken off, not any buffing with pressure.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It's not a neccessity mate, lots of people have had cracking results by hand.

Fiesta ST-3
Well thanks for all the advice Gally. It's always good to know different products etc.

Looking good! Love the pics with the wide angle lens.

Cheers man, they have had more attention than the others.

BMW 118 M SPORT
looks great Scott, your attention to detail is top class. If you don't mind you will have to give me a lesson in using a DA as i will be getting one closer to the summer.

DrewBear11

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST
Looking awesome man, im in need of a correction, god damn BG.

I'd up for receiving for some tips on the DA and some camera advice too... Epic snaps !

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Last 3 pics are good! Nice definition and colour. What lens?

At 20mins a headlight i think you're using the wrong compound and pad. People get overly cut up over the time spent per panel. I.e longer means your doing a better job! - Not true. If you watch the pro's they spend min's 2-3 per panel a touch more if needed.

Looks good tho!