ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Renault Clio wont start or turn over, whirring / buzzing when I try to start it?

Clio 03
Hey guys, new to all this stuff so sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Got a 03 clio billabong edition for my birthday in November and its been sat on my drive. Ran absolutely fine since i've had it, havent passed my test yet, so ive just been giving it a spin on the drive as its large enough to do so. I parked it up 2 nights ago and tried starting it up again about a minute later, however, it would not start at all. The engine wouldn't turn but the electrics worked absolutely fine and all lights were bright. The electrics just seem to make a weird whirring noise when i try and start it. The battery light and STOP lights are on, as well as a steering wheel light by the rev counter. as well as a sort of engine light beside the speedometer. Really scared so a reply would be really appreciated, hope my car isn't broken!

Regards, Ben

Side note: I had a new battery fitted when the car was bought for me

Ph2 Meg 225
Re: My Renault Clio wont start or turn over, whirring / buzzing when I try to start i

All of the lights mentioned above are what are on during ignition and go off when started! What speed is the red light flashing at (alarm immobiliser in centre of cluster lights)?

Clio 03
Re: My Renault Clio wont start or turn over, whirring / buzzing when I try to start i

the immobilizer light doesn't flash when i'm trying to start it, it simply stays red. Whilst the key is not in the ignition it flashes about twice a second. what do you reckon?

Clio 03

Ive read in a few forums it could have something to do with a weak battery in my key fob not being able to start the car? is this b/s? hahah

I'd honestly have a swatch at your battery, I know you said it's new but unless its getting a proper drive now and again I'd imagine it's not getting a chance to recharge, unless you have a massive drive and I'll shut my puss :)

2001 Clio 172

Have you got breakdown cover, try them they will test it for you!

Liquid Yellow 1.5DCi

If there's enough power and its not an immobiliser fault, maybe the 'whirring' noise is a dodgy starting motor??

Black 172

I have a similar problem to this with my mk2 172. I drove for about 50 miles yesterday and pulled up for some chips as you do and when I pulled off I got about 2 meters until the engine cut out like a super smooth stall, I managed to roll it back to where I was parked and now the engine won't turn over. All of the electrics are working fine, new battery in the key and all of the usual lights go out when I turn the key. However when I go to switch the engine on the only noise I hear is what I'm guessing is the aux belt turning (which it is) the engine doesn't try turning what so ever. Also I don't know if it's related but the other day I topped my oil up and I have noticed today that it is dripping from the oil tray, I don't know if this is relevant. Any help and ideas would be very much appreciated