ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my phase 1 titanium

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
well where to start,
I bought this car after promising myself not to go near another 172 again after all the gearbox trouble i've have with the last few i've had, but again the soft spot wins again!!!
View attachment 99507

well when i found it on ebay with no tax or mot i was told that it had an idle problem. it ended up being dephaser pulley problem so i got the new pulley along with all belts and pulleys full service new discs pads.
apart from the brakes not working, small issue with the abs rings supplied by mintex! the car seemed to possibly be a good one!
apart from looking tatty on the outside everything was good!
as you can see from the picture above i put a carbon wrap on a few bits to hide the really bad lacquer peel and faded paint

So i got the car mot'ed needed a few bits abs sensor, the exhaust emissions were really bad so a new abs sensor was fitted (right pain in the ar$e to get out)
photo (3).JPG photo.JPG

As you can see in the second picture the abs sensor was the wrong one but the next day they replaced it with the right one

photo (2).JPG

Thats better,
so now i was left with the exhaust emissions that was sorted by replacing the exhaust with a stainless steel cat back.
i dont know if im 100% happy with the pipe its a bit big and oval.

DSC00933.jpg

so the next step was to replace the really bad lowering springs and really worn shocks with some coilovers (i do have pictures but it wont let me upload anything at the moment!)
vmaxx coilovers from ktech. seemed to be ok for the price
so i fitted the rear shocks/springs then poped out to get the spring clamps for the fronts on the way back while driving about 30mph in 4th my cluth/gearbox made a really horrible noise so i nursed it home and inspected. i feared the worst and got on the net and bought a gearbox.
a few head scratches later and quite alot of reading on the forum i decided it was the release bearing had finally given up after whining like a gooden since i had it.
so i bought a new clutch kit from euro car parts and with an online discount got it for about £115 not bad for a valeo! i decided to take the car to a garage as ive done a few of these gearboxes on ramps found it hard enough but now i have axle stands and very few weekends to play with due to work!

so i get a picture from the mechanic as he is doing the work clutch defiantly needed replacing

photo (8).JPG

The fingers are nearly worn through! the next picture i received is the gearbox out on the floor with the dreaded cir clip hanging out, he decided to put the other box i bought from this forum in as it made sence, once the cir clips go your always waiting for it to pop again! and as far as gearboxes go this looked really clean! again i have pictures but it wont let me upload.
so i wake up to a final text saying that the gearbox does not work the one supplied does not select in to gear he managed to get it in to what he thought to be 2nd and the wheels spun but 1st is totally locked.

i have now bought another gearbox again from this site paying another £200 to get the other one removed and the new one fitted.

i really hope this one works as i have the coilovers fitted along with a whiteline arb i got form ktech
will keep this project going as i hope to get this car in a very good condition and make it a reliable track day/weekend toy!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Id love to mate but wouldnt know where to start with it.. The prices charged for doing it to be craaazzzyyyy

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
Id love to mate but wouldnt know where to start with it.. The prices charged for doing it to be craaazzzyyyy
its easy after a bit of practice plus with a heat gun every mistake can be carefully worked out! the 4d stuff looks cool il try and get a video up

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Done a few bits n bobs to the car the last couple of weekends. i managed to get hold of some better condition panels
so I fitted new wings doors and a phase 2 tailgate with phase 2 lights!

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
I've also bought a supercharger kit which is in the process of fitting! Once that's done and I get my funds back up il get it fully re painted! And get hold of some better alloys as I think one or two of my are buckled!

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
Oh and last little thing I've had my gearbox sent to agency transmissions to be refurbed as I didn't think there was much point in adding a load of bhp to an old jc5 box apparently he's going to mod the circlip to stop it from poping out!

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
The supercharger has been fitted a good few months now..... It's epic!
ive had a real good deal with the paint job, my old boss/friend owed me a few favours and done the whole paint job for 400 including returning all four alloys!
timmsy he is moving workshop ATM but I can ask for a price for you, he can also deliver and pickup for a price aswell.
I've had the door handles and side strips done to I Cnt wait to pick it up tonight

The supercharger has been fitted a good few months now..... It's epic!
ive had a real good deal with the paint job, my old boss/friend owed me a few favours and done the whole paint job for 400 including refurbing all four alloys!
timmsy he is moving workshop ATM but I can ask for a price for you, he can also deliver and pickup for a price aswell.
I've had the door handles and side strips done to I Cnt wait to pick it up tonight

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal!

if you could, that would be great. only really need the roof and front end done but may aswel do the whole lot i guess if the price is right. could do will and alloy refurb too :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Same as Timmsy, i'd like to know also. Car looks great. So is it all go for tomorrow on the rollers? And have you had it RR'd since the charger has been fitted?

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
I haven't had it rr'd yet looking forward to seeing numbers! It's still being polished as we speak I have to pick it up at 8.30 tonight! Just received this picture paint looks lovely!
image.jpg image.jpg
He won't have the wheels done for Tommorow but il drop it back of Sunday to get them finished
also bought a poly dog bone bush that I want to fit this weekend! Hope it helps stop my engine flapping around under the bonnet

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
Ha! I'm right chuffed and Cnt wait to see it later! Just not looking forward to getting stone chips in it! :-( may treat it to a new exhaust cat back soon any recommendations

Monaco 172
Man after my own heart, just bought a phase 1 for a project track car. Like yourself few bits of paint work needing done but will do that after iv done a few track days, dont want to paint it to end up in gravel haha

Clio 172 phase 1 sc
Man after my own heart, just bought a phase 1 for a project track car. Like yourself few bits of paint work needing done but will do that after iv done a few track days, dont want to paint it to end up in gravel haha
That's the problem I have now it's all nice I dnt want to track it ha but I must!
been on a track with it before it was a really good day!
looking forward to testing my new buckets out