ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My non-clio: supercharged BMW 318is project

E30 318iS x2
Hope its ok to post this here :)

I recently bought my old project car back from the guy I sold it to and with the money I'm now earning, I'm going to finish what I started and more and I'm going to super charge it.

I am waiting for my old bmw to be delivered from the seller which should be any day now (pics soon)

I have already purchased a few parts.

Eaton Super charger from PH5 Mini Cooper S:
Supercharger2.gif

What im planing to use for my charge cooler + header tank:
Cooler.jpg

Bottleibought1.jpg

I got a good price on a gearbox and some new wing mirrors from JC-BM.

I got a bargain 11inch electric Spal fan from my local scrap yard for £5 and it works :D

Plus few other bits for sorting the paint work etc.

I've spent £288 so far but I have managed to save £180 so far (would've been close to £500) on my original outlook for costs which I'm happy about.

Next month I'll be ugrading the clutch to an organic stage one set up, fitting Powerflex bushes to the front end (already has rears) and getting more bits for the cooling like electric fans and water pumps.

More pics soon :)

E30 318iS x2
Its an E30 3 door but it has the E36 engine so hoping for some pretty nice gains as the 318 16v from an e36 is actualy a 1.9

ValverInBits
fair enough.

Are you really going to use that intercooler (and it is an intercooler not a charge cooler)

Pretty sure you could pick up something better dead cheap.

E30 318iS x2
The cooler was cheap any way and just a little dirty not bashed in and doesn't leak, so going to see what I can do with it for now or just bung it in the back of the garage lol.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Interesting project.

How much power do you reckon you'll be getting from it once finished?

renault 5tt+clio tt
a friend of mine has a supercharge on a e36 318ti compact.. does go preety well to be fair, 200 bhp at the rear wheels:race:

E30 318iS x2
From the old E30 engine 200bhp is an easy figure to reach, mine has the E36 engine which is a whole 100ml bigger ;) and more powerful from the start so should get a tad more then save up for a good rolling road session.

53 Clio's & counting
Its an E30 3 door but it has the E36 engine so hoping for some pretty nice gains as the 318 16v from an e36 is actualy a 1.9

just so ya know matey (coz im sad) the early E36 (upto 1995) the M42 318is lump was actually a 1.8 16v ( i used to own one) the in 1995 they enlarged it to 1.9 (M44)both produced the same power though (136bhp)

good engine though, with trick bits like piston cooling jets and revs like hell, will be interested in your throttle body set up, as with the way the inlet manifolds are on them there is little room!

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
most prob be a 1.9 mate but i have seen a few 1.8's that that was the change over year,im really looking forward to see how this goes, a great idea, nice usable power and will have great balance :)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
The eaton conversion isn't exactly cheap. Custom fabrication prices kill it.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
You'll need it. A diy eaton kit on things like MX-5's/Ford units costs more than the Jackson racing/Rotrex kit.

E90
Howdy howdy howdy

I'm really intrested in this, get the pics up ASAP. My e30 318is made 142 HP on the rollers, I could do with a bit more lol If you want any advice regarding other stuff just holla mate.

IMGP9442.jpg

Turbo Beige
Howdy howdy howdy

I'm really intrested in this, get the pics up ASAP. My e30 318is made 142 HP on the rollers, I could do with a bit more lol If you want any advice regarding other stuff just holla mate.

IMGP9442.jpg

Found this then Chuckles!!

Car actually looks good in that pic!!

E90
LOL It does occasionally sweetie.

Back in the uk for xmas, shout if your going the nightclub way and we'll have a night on't pop :)

E30 318iS x2
Ah sweet :)

Mind telling me what suspension and brakes your running :)

Car should be arriving Wednesday with a team meeting the next week to decide what to do first.

E90
suspension is bilstein dampers and kw 55/55 springs, still sits to high, thats dedication making it look decked, H+R coilovers if you have the spare money, just about the only thing which will get a 318is on the deck properly, or KW variant 3's if your feeling flush.

Brakes are STD disks and DS3000's front and back,teflon lines and 5.1 fluid, stops like a bstard, but you might need a bigger option with the extra power have a mate who runs some 4 pot brakes on his 335 e30, can find out which ones of you want.

E30 318iS x2
It has Spax PSX adjustable dampers on it so going to see how they get on with the full set of poly bushes.

I think I'm going to go for some Willwood 4 pots, don't want to risk it because stopping it is more important than anything IMO.

How about clutch :)

E90
well mine is standard clutch, I'd say with that power and if you have the money I'd lash out some money on a good one, quaife lsd would be good too, and if your budgets endless a lightened flywheel too, std 318is flywheel is a heavy mofo, 325 one is alot lighter and fits when modified but a custom one if about 700 usd I think. Makes the world of differnce to accelleration. I have a 4,27 lsd on mine from a 316, hits the limter in top, but makes it go like a fcuker LOL

E30 318iS x2
I remember the fly wheel from when we changed it before they're lumpy, sadly don't think I can afford to buy a lightened one yet.

Need to find a good LSD when i can afford it :p

E30 318iS x2
Small update:

Had my fly wheel machined down to save some weight:

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture010.jpg

20mm was skimmed off of the diameter with 1 or 2mm left at the bottum to retain some strength on the ring gear. The side walls were cut down to 1mm above the face of the wheel.

The machining cost me £40 and I've yet to get a quote for getting it rebalanced.

The wheel before machining was just over 12.5 kilos. Plonked it on the scales today and it now weights 9 kilos which I'm pretty chuffed with in regards with how much it has cost. It'll also help the cooling of the clutch as it'll be getting pretty hot under competition conditions.

Currently drawing up the S/C bracket and removing all the front bumper to fit this beast:

SL380366.jpg

Also doing an electric fan conversion. Got a new rad from ebay for £5 and it was in perfect nik. Quite on the handy side it came with a threaded boss which meant I could the OEM BMW temperature switch to switch the fan.

SL380375.jpg

The alternator is being relocated to the other side of the engine and I am changing the crank pully wheel for one with more teeth to match the pully on the charger.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Will you be running a dual TB set up? A lot of throttle'd volume with that cooler.

E30 318iS x2
The cooler was puchased from ebay but I am going to sell it if any ones interested as I'm wanting a shorter longer one now for various reasons £80 plus postage :).

We're running a single TB down streem of the S/C and a Forge valve.

Pics of the car:

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Swapping the 14inch wheels for some 15inch ones and got some toyo R888's:

pict1260ly3.jpg

Next to get is another M42 engine and a 3.91 Limited Slip Diff.

E30 318iS x2
Correction from before, the standard M42 TB does have a dual TB but its in one unit.

Progress:

I've got some injectors from an Audi TT Turbo good for 225BHP. Flow rate is 279cc/min @ 3bar, I had them ultrasonicaly cleaned and reconditioned :)

IMG_0891.jpg

Test result sheet:
Injectorssheet-1.jpg

Also got an FSE adjustable regulator and also a gauge for setup.

IMG_0888.jpg

Had a pretty good day today, the main aim was just to get the interooler bolted in and very happy with how it worked:

New cooler

Picture001-2.jpg

Simple L shaped bracket to bolt onto the chassis

Picture003-1.jpg

Managed to get a stuck bolt out and removed the front end

IMG_0903.jpg

Bolted the cooler to the bracket, offered it up and checked it with a spirit level, then drilled holes for the Rivnuts to go into.

IMG_0905.jpg

Checked it then drilled a second set of holes to make it secure and painted it brilliant red.

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

It was still abit wobly as expected so had to pretty much guesstimate where the top mount would line up with but got it smack on :) Put a bolt through it and now it's rock 'ard.

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

Put the front end back on althought will probably come off for a new one as the lower part is bend and out of shape where some one has probably driven it into a kurb.

IMG_0931.jpg

Whats also really good it my fan and radiator setup fits in perfectly behind it so nice neat little arrangement for cooling. I will need to trim some small bits out of the bumper to allow for the hoses to clear it but appart from that it's brilliant.

I also took the ali door cards off and to my shock I found the windows where held up with two bits of wood :eek:

I had been planning to fit some manual window mechanisms so bought a set of them but was a bit worried that the center sections of the doors had been removed previously for weight saving, thankfuly when I got the cards off the middles where still in so that saved me a job (althought the handle parts were removed to add to the door cards).

IMG_0899.jpg

Good times

IMG_0929.jpg

Comments :)