ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Nissan 200sx S14a **Jap Crap Content**

There's more room than my garage and it's 2 minutes round the corner, win win. There's also a pit in it but it wreaked havoc with my axle stand positions.

All tonight's stuff was at home though.

Got the rest of the remaining parts off now. Fuel tank, heatshields, coilovers, rear bumper/lights and rear brake lines.

Took a photo of the fuel lines for future reference...

0e3c167a.jpg

Tank and straps off. Left the filler thingy on, the bracket was just twisting rather than the one crusty bolt loosening.

53e2dce9.jpg

Was surprised with the rear half TBH, seems the sills will be the worst. Some condition shots.

847ae8a4.jpg

b079863f.jpg

0f4c67c2.jpg

bc7a4d04.jpg

2a2c7d36.jpg

This week brings the enviable job of scraping/surface prep.

BMW M5 & E36
Doesn't look all too bad under there. Good work on the DIY spec spanner, I have a 70mm spanner plasma'd out of 12mm plate with a length of box welded on as the handle, lol.

Just poked 2 holes into the sill area, right next to one of the bloody subframe mounting points. Awesome.

99d4b16b.jpg

I've also come to the conclusion that I need a heat gun, took 2 hours to scrape about 0.5m2 of underseal off.

Evo 6, E92 320d
Why not get a wire brush on an angel grinder, took mine of in a few seconds when I did the SX.

Evo 6, E92 320d
I did use a pretty heavy duty brush, the biggest issue was getting right into the groves to clear out the old seam sealer, that stuff is annoying.

CBR1K, F21 125D
Messy f**king job whatever you use.

I used Some heavy duty gunk type stuff then let it sit then pressure washed off.. still needed to wire brush it after :(

Decided to f**k this scraping off, banged this into it instead...

ce1593b8.jpg

Which results in a lot of dust...

8c2351a6.jpg

Unfortunately, I'd spent a lot of time at work today using a grinder. So after 2 hours and lots of cramp, I only got this far...

064117e8.jpg

81b2825b.jpg

And the areas that I've found to repair so far...

d80f50c4.jpg

fc50b3af.jpg

b965cc15.jpg

bb181120.jpg

My welding skill (or lack of) is nowhere near good enough for such an intricate repair in the arch/sill area. There's 4/5 panels that all meet up there, and the pictures don't convey the level if rot.

Jesus, that amount of work scares me. I've not got the space to have the 9 in pieces like that if it had got into that kind of state. Just makes me even more sure I did the right thing hiding it away for the winter away from gritted roads. Once it's all repaired and you start bolting bits back on is it having any bling fitted under there or just the oem arms etc painted/powdercoated and refitted?

I'm tempted by a set of these for the Civic :eek:

img_0877.jpg

172 cup
Take it you are seeing if the new subframe will cure the alignment issues before diving into the rot I take it? Im not really familiar with the panels on the 200sx but most of the repairs don't look too bad.The last one will be a bit of a pig unless you know or can work out how the panels should fit together,if you do know then thats half the battle but it still looks like lots of fiddly repair sections to be made up.

I love the look of the car by the way,the wheels really suit it.Really have a thing for the 200sx at the moment.

Cheers Ross.

TBH, fitting the subframe won't show me anything until it's fully built up and sat on the floor, so no. The old subframe was noticeably out of line by sight and when removing the alignment components.

I've seen worse too, just that area is an utter c**t to repair. It's not a simple plate job like it would be elsewhere.

Going to try and blag some favours from some welders/fabricators I know.

Heat gun is the future.

Keep digging away at crusty areas, and holes are growing or appearing.

c1ea9a90.jpg

Found out where my boot was leaking now at least, this drove me mad. Strut top joint, woo.

2d92421e.jpg

ZR was 5 years newer lol. Yeah the majority of them rot away, it's not a Nissan only problem though.

Poked some more holes into it lol.

757abb2f.jpg

I'll just cut that panel out like I did on the other side last year. It extends into the bodywork this time though...

6b94d739.jpg

Decided to poke around the driver's side and found more in the sill.

ef14abd6.jpg

1d64a04b.jpg

And some into the boot and around the inner fuel tank filler hose hole.

5c605628.jpg

3f8ddba7.jpg

1152b6e4.jpg

So plenty of rot to cut out and replace, mostly in awkward seams of multiple panels. Interest is rapidly decreasing again.

BMW M135i
f**k me, is this common on S14's ? That's a hell of a lot of holes on a relatively modern car.
Its common enough on jap stuff of the age full stop, non galv chassis and they don't throw road salt about in japan like we do over here. Seen three sent to the scrappers like this, even one that looked pretty clean on the outside. The new stuff still isn't as good as it could be either imo.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
In the style of the black cop from die hard 1;

"Im down at nakatomi and someone just turned my 200sx into Swiss cheese!"

BMW M5 & E36
Shame, the right decision for you though. At least you still have a Megane to put a smile on your face :quiet:

BMW M135i
This is exaclty how my mate has started on 3 just like this and ended up breaking them all, its a lot of effort and money which it'll never be worth in the longrun.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You're 100% making the right decision Gaz.

IT takes a rEdiculous amount of time to get a car to a decent level when its that far gone. I was on the verge of doing the same to my valver due to rust but thankfully Chris' old shell came up so i'm going down that route.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Holy s**t, for such a mint appearing car on the outside that is a lot of corrosion. As Dan said, f**k tackling that. Probably worthwhile scrapping the shell. The engine must be worth a fair bob?

The engine in it isn't worth much. The other one I have however is worth £1200 or so.

Mostly want an FD RX7, insurance and being picky are the main sticking points, but this time it has to be pretty much up to a spec I want from the start.