ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My New VXR

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Wow - definitely a positive reaction then!

It's certainly a mile-muncher - but with some serious go if you want it (the dyno plot is just a stage 1 remap and no other mods, so pretty good gains!), an ideal autobahn-stormer really!

It's basically my everday car (the clio is my wife's daily driver - and I can never prise the key out of her hands!), and I wanted something that's practical, businesslike, but also quick - and I think this is the perfect mix. I've now got all the options covered - if I want to get the roof down, I take the mazda (although that may go in the summer to pay for some mods :evil:), for a bit of b-road fun the clio, for a longer run, load lugging or pure speed there's the Vec!

To drive, it's actually quite like a bigger version of the LCR that I had before the Landy - essentially not as chuckable as the 182, but with that turbo shove (and lots of it) and a very civilised drive (almost too much so, it's very easy to be doing a much higher speed than you think you're doing!)

As said above it's also unusual - 134 UK estates (about 1000 Vec VXRs altogether), and so could well have a bit of shock value when I eventually get it mapped! A bit of a bargain buy really - since it cost me the same sort of money as the cheaper Focus ST's and Megane 225's of the same age...

Oh, and Pepsi - you're not miles out on your guess, I'm in Belper...

Mondeo ST220
Think the estate definately looks better than the saloon. Arden blue is a great colour imo. Lot of car for the money and a good second hand buy.

Golf R
exterior styling looks spot on IMO... but the interior (dash and steering wheel) are such a let down... same goes for the Astra VXR too, Vauxhall need to learn how to make more expensive and tastier looking dashboards

MCS R56
trust you gaz :rasp:

Not trying to be annoying, just my opinion. I don't see the need for that type of performance in an estate. A big turbo diesel would do fine, not a 260bhp fuel guzzler. And it looks pretty stupid too.

Each to their own.

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for all the comments again - and a few bits to reply to...

Firstly the yellow trees - Vanillaroma magic trees are clearly God's own air fresheners!

It's definitely a marmite car, and I am pleasantly surprised by the small number of negative comments. It's not too subtle (although there are lots of SRIs around with the VXR-like bumpers on them), but it's certainly different and IMO a better looking motor than the hatches.

The interior doesn't look so good in photos but is actually very good - it's well screwed together, the stereo is superb, and with the sat-nav, bluetooth and recaros it's a decent place to be. I spend a reasonable bit of time in some of the big German barges with work, and I personally couldn't justify paying a premium for a slower or older (or likely both;)) car, just for the badge... (lots of people would - but again, that's the wonder of personal choice:D!)

It's not a company car, I bought it with my own hard-earned - just that I need a decent sized practical car, and would prefer something with a bit of poke! I did actually look at 300Cs and monaros as other options - but didn't want a diesel 300, and couldn't quite justify running a V8, along with the extra dosh I'd have needed to buy one of the same age!

As I said before, I think it complements the clio and MX5 nicely to give a set of motors with a rounded set of abilities, but also reasonably diverse... Been there with the turbo-diesel (traded in a freelander) - it was practical, but I was just bored by driving it everyday (and I didn't want a diesel BM, merc, Mondeo, Vec etc, just not interesting enough for me).

This way I've got something that is comfy, will lug loads of stuff, and has a decent turn of speed too...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nice bus :approve:

I posted a thread about 12-18 months ago about how much of a performance bargain these would be a couple of years down the line - if I wasn't such a miser I'd have one myself.

Mini Cooper S sport
Didn't know you could get a VXR estate! Doesn't look too bad at all.

If I ever (God forbid) had to get a people carrier I'd probably get the Zafira VXR just for a laugh.

browno

ClioSport Club Member
A quick update for today - as I've debadged the back and finally got my private plate on the car... I thought the back end looked a bit bare to start with - but it's growing on me now...

3581350593_e1c38cf2c4_b.jpg

3581374491_e93a4ca23a_o.png

3582165146_8736ec5e21_b.png

Matches pretty well with the wife's 182 now :cool: ...

3582166266_95c4c99143_b.jpg

(Sorry for crappy camera phone pics!)

Will be changing again later in the week, when we get it stickered up for Le Mans along with 2 blue astras, an ST and grand cherokee :cool:!