ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new ST

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Was all set after the sale of my Ph1 to get hold of a E34 M5. The old man went and had a look over a silver 1991 M5 and reported back it was in good condition and all in all a solid car. Great i thought id swing by Saturday and have a look at it with the intention of buying. Im not too sure what my dad had been smoking when he went to view it but the thing was a s*****r TBH. would of needed i reckon about 2k just to get it up to a level id be happy with. Went and looked at another that night and was in the same state really. To be fair i was a bit naive to think a sub £6000 M5 was going to be anything but a lot of work. Come Sunday after having lunch with some friends one reminded me im still to pay off a fairly sizable holiday that's due next month. So picking up any decent car at this point was a no no

So decided to save a bit of money over the coming months and for the time being buy a cheap runabout to keep me going. Car had to be under £1k have as much Tax and MOT as i could find, anything after that was a bonus. Looked at a couple of Fiesta's and a Focus, don't know why i only limited my options to the blue ovals but i knew with past experience the majority of them are fairly decent. Everything i looked at either was rusted to s**t or had no tax. Was driving round work and saw a silver Mondeo ST24 drive past with a sheet of paper in the back windows. Chased him down and had a good look round the car before phoning the chap. All looked very promising, 4 months Tax, 5 months MOT and only on 940000 miles. Better still he only wanted £900 for it. Phoned him up, took it for a test drive and offered him £800 and a deal was done :)

10887201614_9b57b649f7_z.jpg

10887269924_e5920af24e_z.jpg

10886942466_9366acfa5f_z.jpg

Its no minter, needs a proper wash, there bird dirt marks and a few dents and what would a Ford be without rust !

Needs a new front badge, the drivers seat needs looking at but what with the prices of a full interior on ebay being what they i might just buy another one and change the door card as that has started to come away. The IMRC needs moving as there are problems with them overheating and the brakes are woeful ! Needs a service and AC needs re-gassing.

For £800 its a hell of a lot of car. Its even got heated seats :cool:

Suzuki Jimny
Bargain. Always loved that shape mondeo, parents had a 1.8 one for a while without a cracked rear bumper.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Looks a good buy Chris! Get yourself a M3 saloon instead on a M5 mate, it'll be worth it trust me! :)

There was an orange one like yours . on Auto Trader ! No history put me off, id defiantly consider a saloon

So its not a Fiesta ST? Thread title dissapoint :(

(I do like the Mondeo, mind)

Nope already had a Fiesta ST ! Honestly prefer this more :S

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I love these, proper proper good to drive. I had a hatchback ST200 and a grey/beige/greeny coloured ST24 Estate some time ago. Cracking cars for the money.

I hate the saloons though sorry. But at £800 you can't go wrong.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers :)

I would of preferred a hatchback. The saloons look too much like the mk1's from the rear quarter. But yea £800 can't complain too much.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I kinda love it.

I remember my friend's mum and dad buying a brand new one, sorta ice blue colour. It was awesome. We used to go to the football all the time in it. Loved that car.

Off to PH/AT! There was an estate in imperial blue for sale not so long ago and funny probably more reliable than the car that followed!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I've had two, absolutely love them! Did 50k in my first one before it died from oil surge on a roundabout :(

p.s. Saloon > hatch :)

crackin in buy for 800 quid that!

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Nice barge mate. Definitely alot of car for the money. I've been tempted by a few st estates in my time.

Disastra Coupe
Looks decent enough for the money! Enjoy, they're comfy cars tbf...

My Dad's had a couple of mk1 Mondeo's, both minters but this was a bit of a rare thing due to a few of the extras on it:

dadsandmine1 by chippen172, on Flickr

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers for the comments guys.

Thought id update the thread after having driven it for a few weeks now. Im absolutely besotted by it ! It does everything brilliantly. Got enough poke to have fun on the local B-roads and is refined enough to boat about on the motorways at 80. The handling is great to. Honestly is better than the Fiesta ST i used to own ! Boots big enough to throw anything in, have 4 people in the car and still enjoyable. Some gripes obviously, the main being (like with most Fords) no cup holders !!!! The seat still needs attention. George has come up with some brakes that will be fitted in the new year along with a decent service.

11295734483_dee65237e2_z.jpg

11295637066_a8356e9308_z.jpg

11295649754_a09f27cb4f_z.jpg

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I really like that. Great engines, decats and it sounds awesome on load but really quiet all other times.

clio 182 FF
I owned a blue st200 for a few months a couple of years ago. I loved it and it was only £1500, with 55k miles and fsh. Slight rust round the rear arches and a torn drivers seat bolster, but otherwise pretty mint. A lot of car for the money

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
MPG is absolutly schocking if you go chasing that V6 noise ! I got 360 miles out of a full tank (£80) but that was hooning it about for a week. It sits at 1250rpm whist doing 30mph. And about 3500 at 60, so guessing it could do quite well if not planting it everywhere.

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
£270 for the year on tax

As its registered before 2000 (iirc) it falls below the much much higher tax bracket.

Dont know what MPG they do but it is horrific !!

Christopher.

ClioSport Area Rep
Its the truth. The tank its got in it now looks like it wont give me much more than 380 miles. Been going quite steady after filling it up.

It will prob go after Christmas to be honest, as much of a great car and how fun it is i don't really care for it if that makes sense ?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Its the truth. The tank its got in it now looks like it wont give me much more than 380 miles. Been going quite steady after filling it up.

It will prob go after Christmas to be honest, as much of a great car and how fun it is i don't really care for it if that makes sense ?

Nice - My 200 does 280 miles to a tank of £70!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
That's fantastic tbh. About 28mpg across the whole tank even with booting. A mate with a newer ST struggles to get 250 from a tank he says.

I was only getting 400/500 miles out of the diesels ive owned.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
great cars, mate of mine had one exactly same as that with a scorpion stainless on it, everything else standard. he had to have the drivers seat stitched up and dreaded rust took hold of the rear arches, but for the cash it was an epic-mobile :)

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Always had a soft spot for these and particularly ST200. I realise it's a cheap motor but would have to do something about those reversing sensors, would bug the life out of me!!