ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new racecar project (Icemans old shell)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Small update. Gearbox has gone away to my gearbox guy to be checked over and rebuilt as necessary. Sent him a box with afew other bits in too, notably a Gripper LSD and 13/59 crownwheel and pinion + a shorter 5th gear set.
23393975623233-vi.jpg

Also bought some more bits from Chris (Crispy Clio) as he was breaking his car, already bought my AST's from him and now have his OZ Ultraleggeras, Forge coolant hoses with heater matrix bypass, oil cooler kit and an AX wiper kit that i've been looking for for a while.
45394141965087-vi.jpg

43394141963633-vi.jpg

Tidying up some loose ends, painted under the rear arches in body colour, means the whole shell inside out and underneath the arches is in Glacier white now. Fitted my rear coilovers after the paint was dry.
10393975610946-vi.jpg

12393975612309-vi.jpg

Got my front struts fitted too along with the hubs, including new wheel bearings and Brembo HC discs. As much camber as i can get with smaller diamter bolts in the hub and top mounts to max caster. Give me a base to start from when setting it up.
47394141967685-vi.jpg

50394141970015-vi.jpg

Rest of the focus this week has been on fitting all the Pure Motorsport suspension bits, front wishbone bearing kit and strengthing plates + new balljoints and the full rear strengthening plate and bearing kit. Got the front arms stripped of the original bushes first before buffing the powdercoat off them ready to weld up.
15393975615179-vi.jpg

The intention was to get these done first but i need to press the pure motorsport collars back in the arms, as they're so tight, before i can weld them so moved onto the rear beam. Got it stripped down with the bushes out and removed all the original mounts and spring plates with the trusty grinder.
20393975620174-vi.jpg

Just got the bearing housings tacked in for now, need to fully weld them up.
29393975629773-vi.jpg

Its a pretty involved task fitting the full kit but hopefully will be worth it when its all built up and painted and back on the car. Got all the plates tacked in first with some minor mods.
17393975617603-vi.jpg

35393975635975-vi.jpg

32393975632862-vi.jpg

Managed to get one side all completely welded. See my tame welder Andy in action!
52394141972170-vi.jpg

54394141974211-vi.jpg

The plan is to get all the suspension bits finished this week so i can get the car all back on its wheels with the suspension and brakes all built up and bled. Once the gearbox is back next week the engine can go back in, busy few weeks coming up! Only big ticket item left to purchase is a Race Technology Dash 2 Pro, got my dta ecu here and once the engine is in i can finish my wiring, have my switch box for all my buttons and switches to sit by the handbrake to so more updates on those as im going.
Russ

1.2 Extreme
Looking like a good build. I definitely wanna start one of these projects at some point when I'm a bit older and have more experience with cars!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the comments guys, got some more bits done this week. Finished the suspension bits off, gave them a lick of paint and pressed the bearings in etc.
22395524042280-vi.jpg

24395524044392-vi.jpg

26395524046553-vi.jpg

Also got the rest of my bodywork fitted, both fibreglass doors from CM Composites and my front wings, skirts and door mirrors etc, it actually looks like a car again!
16395524036832-vi.jpg

Bought some more bits in the week too, a new Race Technology Dash2 Pro with a load of extras, pretty nice piece of kit and a step up from the old dash2 as it has 8gb of internal datalogging now + built in gps and can etc among other bits. Also bought a lead to allow the dash to be plugged into my Go-Pro so when playing back the video it can be overlayed with all the data that has been logged :cool: More pics when i've mounted it and started the wiring.
18395524038225-vi.jpg

Also bought another set of wheels set of ET38 Pro Race 1.2's with Toyo R1-r tyres, hopefully use these for wet/damp running.
20395524040476-vi.jpg

Today i managed to get all the suspension and brakes refitted and got it back on its wheels for the first time in ages, all new discs and pads fitted along with my rear camber shims/spacers that ive had sat here for a while. Measured up for the new rear brake lines too that im going to have made up in flexi. Pushed it outside and gave it a wipe over as it was looking a little grubby.
28395524048792-vi.jpg

Also started fitting my polycarb windows, just done the drivers side rear 1/4 for today will finish them tomorrow night and get my seat, harness and steering wheel back in.
31395524051023-vi.jpg

With a bit of luck my gearbox will be back this week so there's nothing stopping me getting the engine and 'box back in the car so really making progress now.
Russ

172 cup, Impreza P1
Rear beam looks class. Can't decide whether to go this route and get rid of the whiteline ARB. Looking forward to hearing how you find it at the limit!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Some more bits done today/yesterday. Got the rest of the rear windows fitted.
17395702657192-vi.jpg

24395702664372-vi.jpg

29395702669962-vi.jpg

25395702665404-vi.jpg

Got my seat and harness fitted properly too.
28395702668518-vi.jpg

Couple of little bodywork details, been waiting for my boot handle to be painted so i fitted that to the boot lid, because its a fibre glass boot and i have no boot release button in the middle of the diamond i made a blanking plate out of some carbon i had lying around. Looks pretty good.
26395702666742-vi.jpg

Also got my bumper back from paint as its been with Chris at CM Composites been used to trial some brake ducts that are nearly ready for production, i modified the bumper to allow fitment of the cup racer ducts + added some holes for cooling that actually match the holes in the front cross member.
16395702656327-vi.jpg

22395702662726-vi.jpg

Gonna try and get the front windows fitted tomorrow, windscreen is getting fitted on friday too.
​Russ

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Wicked process mate are you going to look at getting a heated screen as you are doing away with the heater box.

All sorts
This hasn't half come on leaps and bounds, looks stunning in white.

Hopefully by tomorrow evening I should have some bits ready to go into those bumper holes for you ;-)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Well disappointingly i didn't get my engine fitted this weekend, gearbox was supposed to be done friday but was delayed it will be back tomorrow so engine will be in tomorrow night hopefully and i'll get it all plumbed, wired and finished off this week.

Everything else is pretty much done, carrying on from last time all my windows are now done, heated windscreen fitted and front side windows fitted.
30396729030525-vi.jpg

40396729040321-vi.jpg

Once the front windows where done i could fit a set of Chris's front door cards.
34396729034893-vi.jpg

Also tidied a few loose ends up like fitting my rear brakes lines i had made up by Hel Performance, highly recommended just go on their website and choose you options and lengths and they make them up to suit for not a lot of money, can even choose your colour if you're that way inclined, i just went for black. www.brake-lines.co.uk/buildyourown/ Obviously filled the system and bled it aswell. Fitted my Pure Motorsport stud kit while the wheels were off again too.
37396729037694-vi.jpg

While on the subject of brakes i fitted my brake duct deflectors after a lot of messing about, had to trim them down and generally just keep trial fitting them and tweaking their position. Hopefully they're somewhere near now.
44396729044648-vi.jpg

47396729047749-vi.jpg

Leaving most of the wiring until the engine is in but thought i'd fit the Dash2 Pro and its associated bits and pieces, fitted the dash and buttons to the dash plate and wired them all in. Also fitted the GPS antenna, its magnetic so that helps and the Go-Pro interface cable. Once datalogging is started it starts the go-pro recording too so all the data is synced with the video which is cool. Once the wiring was done i fitted the dash top, think this is the only piece from the car that has survived from the previous owner! Its a Mk1 clio dash top that has been flocked for those wondering.
09396729069085-vi.jpg

06396729066386-vi.jpg

12396729072044-vi.jpg

03396729063438-vi.jpg

More updates this week as the engine goes in.
​Russ

Looking awesome Russ :) I would suggest having an up or down button for the dash within reach while harnessed in as then you can do page changes to see other parameters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks James, I can just about reach the buttons if i need to. The theory is that while racing i wont be touching it anyway, as long i can see the basics i'm happy. The less to distract the better!
​Russ

Thanks James, I can just about reach the buttons if i need to. The theory is that while racing i wont be touching it anyway, as long i can see the basics i'm happy. The less to distract the better!
​Russ

Fair enough Russ :) just like last year in quali at donny I could scroll between screens when the car failed to pin point the issues. Look forward to seeing this in action! What are your plans? Testing this year or straight into racing? If so what series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Dont know what the plans are yet but have a plan that if i can get it sorted in the next few weeks i might shake it down at oulton and enter the cscc tintops at oulton in september but we'll see, not commiting to anything just yet.
​Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah just about mark, in fairness i'm 6'2" and i'm limited by how far i can go with my seat due to the cage so i can't sit as far back as i want so can still reach the dash buttons. The buttons only scroll through the dash menus etc anyway, all of my other controls will be more local for ease of use.
​Russ

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Looks good Russ :) Good to see my old 1.2's are gunna get well used at least!

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Looks great Russ. And yes the genuine brake ducts are shocking the passenger side (at the tip) is about 5/10mm shorter than the drivers side.
Just like you i didn't like how they fitted and extended it to make it the same length so it looked the same as the drivers.

BMW Z4
I was a moron for selling this car. Not one of my finer moments and ive had zero luck since she went with the new Audi. Nice to see it still living though and the improvements made to it, well done buddy.

Hmm makes me want to do one of my all time favorite cars and must do builds

Clio V6 race car

Now there's a thought.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Mark + Gaz.
Not the update i was hoping for as i expected the car to be running by now. Having gearbox issues, 'box needs 1st + 2nd synchro rings and they're on back order from Renault with no delivery date so that is not good! Hopefully we'll have a solution this week otherwise i wont make oulton for french trophy at the end of September.

Anyway, i've been trying to get the car totally finished bar putting the engine and gearbox in so all the wiring had to be finished. It probably wont please some on here that there are no Deutsch or MIL spec contectors or fancy overbraid but its tidy enough for now and is functional. First up i made my switch box/panel with all the required switches and buttons in to sit down by the handbrake.
52398546032594-vi.jpg

The scuttle was made up with the extinguisher and cutout buttons fitted and wired on plugs for ease of removal. You can see the engine loom ready to connect to the engine once in.
16398546056848-vi.jpg

The ecu and wideband controller are under the drivers side scuttle along with relays for the fan and fuel pump.
13398546053886-vi.jpg

All fitted and wired inside along with the battery, fuse box and extinguisher with control. Not powered anything up yet, only testing the extinguisher system and all is well so thats a good start, just need to position the nozzles next.
25398546065141-vi.jpg

32398546072336-vi.jpg

Looks pretty clean and tidy when its all sorted, need to give the inside a good hoover out though as theres swarf and wire clippings everywhere!

Got my mate to do me a few stickers this week as well while he was passing. Done my 'side moulding' stickers in satin black and wrapped the roof as you can see. I also went for one of Chris' (CM Composites) Clio Cup III roof scoops as i know how hot race cars get and the guys running them already say they help out a lot. Really nice bit of kit with the internal pod and vents that i hadnt seen a picture of beofre i got mine, nice tidy job. I gave the scoop a coat of Peugeot Cherry Red which will match my Ultraleggeras when i get them painted.
27398546067442-vi.jpg

54398546034040-vi.jpg

58398546038591-vi.jpg

09398546049689-vi.jpg

02398546042625-vi.jpg

Wish me luck with my gearbox or more helpfully find me some synchro rings or someone that has some.
​Russ