ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new racecar project (Icemans old shell)

Cup In bits
Looks real good Russ, like an original cup racer with the lower model trim's/mirrors.

There's only one issue I can see and its on the roof (and its not the vent) ;)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Lol expected that from a scot! When I sold my integra I deliberately left the flag on the roof as the guy who bought it was Scottish, the first thing he did was to swap it for a Saltire!
russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
So................... Its running! Just got it running tonight, everything seems fine, got a couple of little jobs to sort but its 99% finished. Gonna book it in for mapping tomorrow too. All pics and details tomorrow.
​Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
So its finally built up and running, actually drove it out of the garage onto the drive tonight so I have proved it works at least in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] + reverse! Currently running on a Zetec map that i've fiddled with just to get it running, runs fine, at least I think it does as I cant hear any nasty noises with the exhaust currently exiting from the manifold only!
Fingers crossed it should be mapped 2 weeks and have had its suspension corner weighted and setup. Going to give it a rough alignment at the weekend as the front wheels are all over the place! If that all goes to plan i'm going to try and get on a test day at oulton on the 20[SUP]th [/SUP]September with a view of entering the final French Trophy round the following weekend.
Still have a couple ofjobs to do but saving them until the weekend when I put it on theramp, got a rear calliper to change and the cup bias valve for a new one for piece of mind + re bleed the system. Transponder needs mounted to the car, wiring is there so just needs fixed and connected up. The Oreca exhaust needs modified to fit the 182 manifold, managed to separate the existing flange from the system tonight sojust need to dry fit the system and measure the about to be cut offthen re weld the flange on. Also need to buy and fit a 2L oil catchcan
Since the last update i've finished my extinguisher setup too, all plumbed and wired in.
41400100741916-vi.jpg

43400100743497-vi.jpg

Had a few dramas last week with the wheel spacers not fitting, the rears needed to be counter bored to clear the studs and the fronts had the radius taken off on the centre so my wheels would actually sit against the face.This is the rear after fitment.
[URL="http://images115.fotki.com/v607/photos/8/1581698/11472160/59400101539318-vi.jpg%5B/img"]http://images115.fotki.com/v607/photos/8/1581698/11472160/59400101539318-vi.jpg[/img[/URL]]

Also had to do some modifications to the inner skin of the bonnet so it would fit with my longer trumpets and filter, I still didnt think the bonnet would close but it does! Note the special edition, racing motorsport bonnet prop!
[ATTACH=full]1068697[/ATTACH]

My Cup Racer ducts should be back from Chris this weekend/next week so that'll finish the bumper off a treat. Anyway, some more pics of it all back together, enjoy.
Russ
[ATTACH=full]1068698[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]1068699[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]1068700[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]1068701[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]1068702[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]1068703[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]1068704[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]1068705[/ATTACH]
[IMG]http://images38.fotki.com/v231/photos/8/1581698/11472160/46400100746282-vi.jpg

Attachments

• 47400100747890-vi.jpg
    47400100747890-vi.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 202
  • 40400100740597-vi.jpg
    40400100740597-vi.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 37400100737602-vi.jpg
    37400100737602-vi.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 30400100730267-vi.jpg
    30400100730267-vi.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 35400100735883-vi.jpg
    35400100735883-vi.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 39400100739252-vi.jpg
    39400100739252-vi.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 34400100734649-vi.jpg
    34400100734649-vi.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 211
  • 28400100728814-vi.jpg
    28400100728814-vi.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 221
  • 44400100744963-vi.jpg
    44400100744963-vi.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Looks the part Russ, came on a good bit since I seen it.

Without going back do you have a custom loom for all aux items? Makes mine look like a standard car in the bay and interior.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Morgan, aux items as in the lights, fan etc? No loom as such, just modified and cut down the standard loom mostly or made new bits for the dash etc. Its a kind of 1st step, i'd like to re do all the loom from scratch at somepoint but this should be fine for now.
Russ

Cup In bits
Yeah wipers and so on too. Your car has no fuse box, no ecu, no uch that I can see anyway. I started trimming my interior loom but its so back and forth and sharing earths and positives its hard to make it look any better.

Not using the dash binnacle and heater box has simplified yours a good bit, I'll just have to wait to retire mine come time.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah all the standard stuff is gone, the uch is a real pain. Ecu is under the scuttle with the wideband controller and fan and fuel pump relays, the new fuse/relay box is the black box next to the battery.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Got pretty much everything done at the weekend, new rear caliper and bias valve fitted and brakes bled, something like a suspension alignment done, literally just the tracking tbh, a proper corner weight and beam adjustment session will have to wait until after the French Trophy race on the 28th. Got my exhaust fitted but I'm worried its far too loud for even test days at 105db. Got all my dash 2 setup too, software is really good really easy to setup up all the screens and displays, hopefully will be simple to log etc when testing/racing. My new brake ducts from Chris are here and look good, other than a trial fit I haven't really done anything with them. Bit of a break now this weekend as the car is away at TDi North in Warrington for mapping and posdibly a new exhaust depending how loud it us on Pauls db meter. Picking it up next Friday morning and taking it straight to test at oulton.
Sent off my entry for the fench trophy race on the 28th at oulton too, just need to book the test day on the Friday before. I really hope it drives ok, or at least well enough so I can work out what I need to do with it regarding setup.
Russ

Clio 172
Looks awsome Russ, can't believe I've missed the thread. Where did you get the roof sticker from as I have been after the same thing for a while but all I have found are really crap looking flags.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers sonny, hopefully have some pics and maybe done vids on Friday from its first outing at Oulton park.
2damnsley my mate has his own sign and graphics company so does all my graphics, need to get him to do me some numbers and bits and bits and pieces this week.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Its mapped. Just got to pick it up in the morning and go straight to oulton for some testing. Made excellent numbers for the spec IMO but they are just numbers after all so the proof will be in the driving. Looking forward to it now.
Russ

Its mapped. Just got to pick it up in the morning and go straight to oulton for some testing. Made excellent numbers for the spec IMO but they are just numbers after all so the proof will be in the driving. Looking forward to it now.
Russ

What was the spec Russ? Cams and ITB's or did you go high comp? What did it make? Best of luck for tomorrow hope it goes well :)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Cat 421's and bodies the same as everyone else lol. It made...........somewhere between 200 and 300 at the fly, hope that helps James!
short vid of it on the rollers anyway.
Russ
[video=youtube_share;xOqkBm6d8ME]http://youtu.be/xOqkBm6d8ME[/video]

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
The long trip up to Oulton is tempting me now to see these cars before they get bashed about by Tony!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
At least mine is white if tony is 'rubbing'!
Yeah kept vvt James but from what I know now its pretty pointless as its always advanced above 1500rpm or something? Might as well gone vvt delete with proper verniers to time the cams up.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
So testing! I guess its called testing for a reason, nothing fell off but I have issues. No.1 and most importantly is it gets too hot too quickly, bit worried about the removal of the heater matrix and the fact its just been replaced with a 180degree bend. Water temp gets up to 100degrees and stays there, had an issue with air locking last week but think that's sorted now after I bled it.
Next is the fact it handles like a 3 legged dog! Chronic turn in under steer and lack of adjustability, totally off the pace! Also have some smoke on the over run which I'm pretty sure is oil, hopefully its an overfill issue but I haven't checked yet. On the plus side the engine and diff are fantastic but suspect I'm going to run out of gears as it looks like its gonna top out at 120mph which is not what if calculated it at, that was more like 130mph.
At the minute on not gonna race next weekend as its pointless unless I can sort those issues in a short space of time. Gonna have a pint now or six.
Russ