ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new car detailed - 56k warning!

Ok maybe not to everyones taste but I thought I'd show some pics!

Stage 1

This morning I spent a few hours on the bootlid as it was badly swirled and had buffer holograms but worse it had loads of RIDS (random isolated scratches). First up was to remove the number plate.

BavarianBeast015.jpg

First up though was to debadge the car. I warmed the letters with a hairdryer and then simply and quite easily sliced through the sticky foam with some dental floss

BavarianBeast017.jpg

The sticky foam was carefully peeled off with fingers and then AB glue and tar remover was used to remove the residue. I was left with an outline of the 330 due to the clearcoat surrounding the letters being dull.

BavarianBeast019.jpg

Next up the panel was washed with megs #62 and clayed with megs agressive bodyshop clay and last touch as a lube.

BavarianBeast021.jpg

Then those Random scratches were wet sanded using megs 3000 unigrit and megs hi tech wash. The PTG was used to ensure no mistakes were made and approx 10 microns of paint was removed. Some RIDS still remained but for now I can live with them.

BavarianBeast022.jpg

BavarianBeast023.jpg

BavarianBeast024.jpg

Given the cold this morning I went back to Meguiars #83 via a cutting pad on the makita and taped off half the bootlid.

BavarianBeast025.jpg

To finish I used the conusmer version of menz final finish which reacts better in cold weather. Used on a megs finishing pad.

Work was then checked with the brinkman

BavarianBeast029.jpg

And lastly HD cleanse was applied by hand and allowed to dry before 'removing' the hd cleanse with a second wet application of HD cleanse to esnure even coverage which was buffed off immediatly. LSP of choice today was Zymol Glasur:cool:

BavarianBeast037.jpg

BavarianBeast032.jpg

BavarianBeast035.jpg

BavarianBeast033.jpg

BavarianBeast038.jpg

Stage 1.1 - more paintwork!!

This time the back bumper which had collected its fair share of scrapes over the years

BMWbumper001.jpg

Same method before 3000 grit, megs #83, menz ff, HD cleanse and this time zymol concourse

BMWbumper002.jpg

BMWbumper003.jpg

Didn't notice this scrape before :wall:

BMWbumper004.jpg

BMWbumper005.jpg

BMWbumper006.jpg

BMWbumper007.jpg

BMWbumper010.jpg

BMWbumper012.jpg

Stage 2

Interior

I have never been a massive fan of detailing an interior but I was looking forward to treating the leather with my new zymol leather cleaner and zymol treat. Smells of bananas by the way :thumb: Fortunatly the interior was pretty much unmarked, I swear the back seats have never been sat in!!!

As with all things however prep is the key before you go to the fancy wax :p

Previous owner liked her bronzing creams which had rubbed off on the hand contact surfaces and become ingrained in the leather.

BMWinterior001.jpg

BMWinterior003.jpg

So masked up with er m/f's and used megs APC cut 10:1 with a trusty megs triple duty detail brush

BMWinterior005.jpg

And after a good 15 mins of gentle scrubbing

BMWinterior007.jpg

BMWinterior008.jpg

And afterwards with zymol treat

BMWinterior014.jpg

BMWinterior018.jpg

Spurred on by this sucess the rest of the leather used up half a bottle of zymol leather cleaner and half a bottle of zymol leather treat. This has left the leather very soft and factory looking.

BMWinterior004.jpg

The plastics were cleaned with apc and then dressed with megs hyper dressing cut 3:1 water:hyper. Glass megs glass cleaner

BMWinterior009.jpg

BMWinterior010.jpg

BMWinterior013.jpg

BMWinterior015.jpg

BMWinterior017.jpg

Stage 3

Exhaust tips

BavarianBeast018.jpg

Megs NXT metal polysh used with '0000' wire wool.

BMWinterior022.jpg

BMWinterior021.jpg

Stage 4

Alloy Wheels have now been refurbed - full front face refurb @ autosmart in Purton, Wilsthire

The guys lent me spare wheels although a few hairy moments when the trolly jack started pissing out hydraulic oil :lol:

Must say am very impressed with their tecniques 2k paint and wet on wet between layers

BavarianBeast003.jpg

BMWinterior025.jpg

Stage 5 - Calipers and Hubs

Rich came over to see me today to perform his skills on my brake calipers and hubs - cheers mate very much appreciated :thumb:

He started off by cleaning each arch using Megs superdegreaser and some old mitts and brushes

Wheelhubs001.jpg

Next up he degreased all the brakes and hubs and removed loose corrsoion with a wire brush before painting with hammerite black and silver

Wheelhubs003.jpg

Wheelhubs005.jpg

Left to dry and then copper slip and wheels back on

Wheelhubs006.jpg

Wheelhubs009.jpg

A couple of likley looking albanian valeters turned up ;)

Wheelhubs012.jpg

Wheelhubs013.jpg

Stage 6 End of Paintwork correction

Finished this off on the weekend, the warmer weather allowing me to use IP.

Paintwork Correction Process was

• Menzerna intensive polish 3.02
  • Menzerna final finish
  • IPA wipedown

The following shot are a mix of part correction and final correction with a mix of flash, sunlight and brinkman.

th_DodoBMW001.jpg
th_DodoBMW005.jpg
th_DodoBMW004.jpg

th_DodoBMW002.jpg
th_DodoBMW031.jpg
th_DodoBMW029.jpg

DodoBMW051.jpg

DodoBMW052.jpg

DodoBMW059.jpg

th_DodoBMW007.jpg
th_DodoBMW008.jpg
th_DodoBMW009.jpg

th_DodoBMW011.jpg
th_DodoBMW012.jpg
th_DodoBMW013.jpg

th_DodoBMW014.jpg
th_DodoBMW015.jpg
th_DodoBMW018.jpg

Stage 7 - Engine bay

Just a wipe over with an old pair of pants ;)

DodoBMW062.jpg

Stage 9 - Final LSP shots

Process

• HD Cleanse
  • Zymol concours x2 (48hours apart)
  • Coat of the new Green dodo juice wax

Now this was the most infuriating part as the second coat of concours didn't take well and it smeared creating some quite horrific smears/holograms in the wax. Thanks to Rich and Clark for some advice after which I washed the car, quick detailed it and then applied a coat of the dodo juice which blended things in!!! I was given the opporyunity of a coat of vintage which I may well still take up ;) But for now I had, had enough of the zymol!!!

Anyway - enjoy!!!

DodoBMW056-1.jpg

DodoBMW055.jpg

DodoBMW040.jpg

DodoBMW043.jpg

DodoBMW046.jpg

DodoBMW034.jpg

DodoBMW032.jpg

DodoBMW061.jpg

DodoBMW063.jpg

DodoBMW058.jpg

DodoBMW065.jpg

DodoBMW027.jpg

Anyway its now time to drive it!

DodoBMW024.jpg

Leon Cupra R 225
f**k me that's some thread!! Your clearly another Rich....

f**king good work though mate, awesome dedication :)

BMW E46 330i Touring
Very impressive results. As much as I try not to like BMW's, there is something very appealing about them. Style-wise they just look... right.

Lionel Richie
all that hard work and you're using a halfords jack!!

you want one of these so you don't damage the underseal!
DSC_0188-3.jpg

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
thats really good, very impressed!

if you bought the car like the before pics, i reckon you've made about £500 if you come to sell!!

Golf R soon...
Thats something to be proud of :approve:

Good work!

Reminds me I need to get my wheels off and give the arches a good clean!

Daz

stunning work as always fella, would it be possible for you to do some ptg readings for me ?

Mito Sportiva 135
Rich, do you think you might cry when your 182 goes? I may shed a small tear when the day comes to get rid of the 172 (especially for what it is being replaced with...) Roll on being 25 and being able to get something better!!!

Well polish will remove wet sanding marks, or have you got the orange peel effect?

In which case more wet sanding and then polishing