ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new car, Deep Black 197

Audi A5
So I got this just over a week ago...

8949183865_3d6e7f394e_c.jpg

DSC_0317 by bobby683, on Flickr

8949179817_64b22f99c4_c.jpg

DSC_0318 by bobby683, on Flickr

8949188485_c99bd26b6c_c.jpg

DSC_0316 by bobby683, on Flickr

8950384896_9c59d5d760_c.jpg

DSC_0315 by bobby683, on Flickr

8949195757_f9c3f72022_c.jpg

DSC_0313 by bobby683, on Flickr

8950393422_0800b6dc6f_c.jpg

DSC_0312 by bobby683, on Flickr

8950398630_f5ed81554c_c.jpg

DSC_0310 by bobby683, on Flickr

8949209797_7ccd88d409_c.jpg

DSC_0306 by bobby683, on Flickr

8950407354_e1d6693855_c.jpg

DSC_0305 by bobby683, on Flickr

8950411920_b3a7bfc771_c.jpg

DSC_0303 by bobby683, on Flickr

8950420766_cb6ec7e6c9_c.jpg

DSC_0283 by bobby683, on Flickr

8950416608_f96e0b1ce4_c.jpg

DSC_0289 by bobby683, on Flickr

So far I've gave it a service, got some RS mats and some braided brake lines.

future plans are

H&R lowering springs
25mm spacers all round
new front disc
new rear disc plus pads
silivervisions all round
GT or sprint spoiler
refurb alloys anthracite, get speedlines or ultra's

C+C welcome as always.

Cheers Bobby.

work for BMW
Looks awesome and love the recaros , can get these for not huge money any more !
Don't know much about 197s .. How come you can't see the exhaust twin tips at the back?

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Looks awesome and love the recaros , can get these for not huge money any more !
Don't know much about 197s .. How come you can't see the exhaust twin tips at the back?

The exhaust tips were behind the diffuser with a slash cut pipe. You can get exhaust trims but I think they look too small.

Nice looking car, especially with Recaros. Possible future upgrade to 200 spec cup shocks?

Audi A5
Yeah the seats were the main reason I went to look at this one, even though the drivers one has the usual bolster wear, that's another thing I want to get sorted.

i haven't really thought about 200 shocks tbh, might be a worthy upgrade I suppose as I haven't even got the cup pack, saying that though its still feels very stiff even without the cup pack.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
One of the best colours for them imo!

​Nice example

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Thanks Gaz. did you sell the GT spoiler in the end? ;)

Nope, still in the shed, debating what to do. I need to get a quote first really. You cant get hold of them at the mo, ktec wont have any for 6 weeks iirc. Shame that ;)

Looks lovely in black. Can the 200 diffuser not be fitted with the tips?

Gay, 200 diffusers are pony. 197 ones look wider, thus better ;)

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
That looks awesome mate, I'm sure it will look even better in a few months after some Bobby treatment! Enjoy.

Audi A5
Looks lovely in black. Can the 200 diffuser not be fitted with the tips?

I think they bolt straight on yes, but as Gaz said, their pony ;)

Very nice mate.

cheers joe :)

Lovely mate nice motor... You been busy this week then

cheers mate... yeah gave it a good service on Saturday just pasted and spent a good couple hours getting it all cleaned up for some f**king bird to sh*t all over it come Monday! typical ahh.

Nope, still in the shed, debating what to do. I need to get a quote first really. You cant get hold of them at the mo, ktec wont have any for 6 weeks iirc. Shame that ;)

yeah that is a real shame lol!

Audi A5
That looks awesome mate, I'm sure it will look even better in a few months after some Bobby treatment! Enjoy.

haha! cheers mate, hopfully ill get it looking good. new territory this mk3 malarkey ;)

still waiting for a thread to come up showing your beast...

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
haha! cheers mate, hopfully ill get it looking good. new territory this mk3 malarkey ;)

still waiting for a thread to come up showing your beast...

Get it back on the 18th June so it won't be too long now lol!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I think they bolt straight on yes, but as Gaz said, their pony ;)

Good man!

What's the deal with the whole 197 vs 200 stuff? They surely can't be THAT much different to drive?

Exactly. Think 172 /182. The cupped 200's have a quicker rack which is nice, harder suspension 1st/2nd/3rd are a wee bit shorter to help it launch. Other than that, meh imo. The 200 fan bois will tell you different, but there are good and bad ones like all RS Clios

Audi A5
What's the deal with the whole 197 vs 200 stuff? They surely can't be THAT much different to drive?

good question. Im in the same boat tbh, I cant see their being much difference. ive never driven both of them hard to comment really though. I guess when the 200 came out all the tester from the magazines were jizzing in their pants about the improvments over the 197's handling so its just gone on from that.

Get it back on the 18th June so it won't be too long now lol!

I look forward to it.

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
The suspension packages went in order of firmness: (softest to hardest)
200 Sport
197 Sport (What Bobby has)
197 Cup
200 Cup.
All interchangeable too. I would have thought the same cost also for 197 or 200. I had exactly the same age and colour 197 as Bobby's and on track it really wallowed. Do notic ethe difference on the road too, back to back.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
FYI they're not all interchangeable. Different years have different top mounts. The ones I know are the 200 from 2010 onwards have different revised suspension again

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
interesting...

maybe FatRS means just the shock absorbers are interchangeable. not the top mounts.

Its a completely different design, smaller top mounts. The whole suspension won't fit. You have to specify 2010> when ordering if that's what yours are.

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Sorry. I'd read once before this was possible, to the degree I'd consider doing if I got one again. Shame.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
You can do it FatRS. you can fit 197 cup suspension to a non cup 197 for example. I was just stating that not 'every' model suspension will fit.

Audi A5
Yes I hope to do a few bits

H&R lowering springs
25mm spacers all round
new front disc
new rear disc plus pads
silivervisions all round
GT or sprint spoiler
Refurb the alloys anthracite, get speedlines or ultras
Replace worn drivers seat bolsters or get repaired

Going to buy some black hole soon as well, as the paint need some loving.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
myold197_zps7b14ea6b.jpg

Hi Bobby get some black speedlines, silversions, panel filter and a cup spoiler :approve: dont touch the suspension just get a rear anti-roll bar fitted and some exhaust tips like mine in the pic. I also use motul excess 15w40 engine oil its runs quiet and clean, stock brakes are fine imo. My rb197 drives and handles just as well as my 200 with a cup chassis and it not as bumpy on the road, do a renault trackday the car will surprise you.

Audi A5
Thanks for input mate.

Your black speedlines look lush against the red paint, I wouldn't want black on black though, anthracite on black ftw.

The main reason for the h&r springs are for looks, I'm quite happy the way it handles for now.

I done a service Saturday just gone, I opted for Renault 5w40 oil myself.

I am tempted by a track day, I done a few in my 182's and loved them, only thing is their so expensive! Lol.

Black mk3 clio
Looks great! Also thumbs up for another member in Eastbourne, i shall look out for you. I'm in a black mk3 debadged with black diamonds.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
With 197's its less is more imo, there's too much bolt on tat for it............ visible exhaust tips, cup spoilers and that tacky 'areo kit' thing. Looks too fussy imo

Audi A5
With 197's its less is more imo, there's too much bolt on tat for it............ visible exhaust tips, cup spoilers and that tacky 'areo kit' thing. Looks too fussy imo

I totally agree Gaz, them side skirts and front splitter thing does nothing for me. Cup spoiler can look good sometimes but I still think their a bit too much.

Speedlines, spacers, lowered, gt/sprint spoiler and I'm happy.

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks for input mate.

Your black speedlines look lush against the red paint, I wouldn't want black on black though, anthracite on black ftw.

The main reason for the h&r springs are for looks, I'm quite happy the way it handles for now.

I done a service Saturday just gone, I opted for Renault 5w40 oil myself.

I am tempted by a track day, I done a few in my 182's and loved them, only thing is their so expensive! Lol.

Sorry Bobby i meant 5w40 :( motul i dont think the renault oil is fully synthetic, i sold my red 197 for a new 200 with a cup chassis because i was told not to lower it etc by a very good renault mechanic:)

raceyblue_zps508cc5cf.jpg

my wifes rb 197

Last edited: