ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My New Brand New Mk3 Clio

MK3 D.Sport, 2.0 HDI Van
is amazin!!! its only a 1.4 and its nippy as, am so pleased i got this new model and new car, it looks so much better with an exhaust, spolier and badged taken off!!!! i was so worried that gettin rid of my baby mk2 ph1 was gonna cut me up but since this bad boy has arrived am wishin id got it sooner!!

nearly ran it in already so 2nite ill get to c how it really preforms, worked out it should be able to get up to 120 easy so i cant wait!!!
Oh and the extra space comes in a treat when tryin to climb bk into the front seat, if you know what i mean ;-) ;-)

i just cant stop smilin!! the clio is just gettin better, shame i cant afford the 2litre

MK3 D.Sport, 2.0 HDI Van
yeah i think i am the first well the first to have it modified already and get the sport model, i so wish i had done it sooner.

its volcanaic red, so red with orange flakes, changes colour in the light. pics will apear asap but cos all ave done it run it in (600miles) its in a blacky/redy/orangy colour just now.

SLK 350
Actually its MORE than possible. Nowt to do with the engine size and all the to with ratio. Pretty sure if i could do 108 in my 1.2 GPS verified and 140 in my 172 im pretty sure an engine with newer technology could reach 120~

Chris1.4RT said:
120 m.p.h. in a 1.4?

Do me a favour. Indicated speed maybe, reality, no sir.

the 1.4 in a corsa i own is capable of 115, and that only has 90bhp. Mind you it didn't feel at all comfortable at that speed. All carried out on private land of course :)

ex Clio 172 owner :(
Hmm, I'd believe it if I saw it.

Besides, gonna take a load of road to reach that sort of speed in a 1.4 but anyway...

Chris1.4RT said:
Hmm, I'd believe it if I saw it.

Besides, gonna take a load of road to reach that sort of speed in a 1.4 but anyway...

i'd agree it would take a lot of road...... personally the only clio i'd feel comfortable doing 120 in would be one of the Sport versions (172/182/V6)

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I've done an indicated 135 in my 1.6 VTS and it's pretty hair raising to be honest. Car just feels a bit too light at high speeds.

(anyway that's my tuppence worth... back on topic lol)

Octavia VRS
Get the pics up of the mk3 - glad you like it.

120 would be doable in a 1.4 16v as well although you would need a private runway to do that of course ;)

Clio 182 Trophy
Gearing does play a big part, but as with any moving object, physics rule. You need power to overcome the opposing resistance and a 1.2 doesn't have power in abundance. I'm not sure of the drag coefficient of the new Clio, but it's probably not the best.
It may not be all that stable at high speed, but it will be safe to do so. If it wasn't it would have a limiter.
I'd say you would see 120mph indicated, but if it could do a true 120mph I'd be impressed. :)

1.6 16V is 110hp or so.

I've seen 120 down a hill and 115 on a staight in my car after a long wait (in Germany honestly) so I wou;dn't think that 120 froma 1.6 is impossible there much more powerful thanmine which has 65hp.
Speedo reliability is the thing tho0ugh mine overreads by 10% so that about 104mph in real life on the straight.
To go quicker you need way more power. You need 170hp or so for 144mph but just 65hp for 105mph.

Golf GTD
i'd love to see pics.

been thinking i havent seen many on the roads, but in the past few days i have seen an abundance of them

The Renault web site gives the specs for the 1.4 new clio as:

0-62mph (0-100kph) 11.3
Maximum Speed - mph (kph) 114 (183)

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
^^^Because of the xtra weight it makes them "abit" slower 0-62mph than mk2 ph2. Although the new shape is growing on me.

At the end of the day everybody on here always have a go at Renault for there build quality (me being one of them:eek:), but if I was in management at Renault I would have improved there build quality & made an increase in power becasue of the xtra weight.. but hey we can all dream lol:).

Hope you enjoy your car mate:) & upload some pics :).

Mondeo STTDCI
f**king hell lads so what if it can creep upto 120mph. It'll take a load of miles to do it anyway.

A well built VW
Ive seen an indicated speed of 120 in my old clio 1.4 8v just before the speed gun caught me slowing to 94 more than possible

Susan hope you enjoy the new car get pics up so we can all have a butchers
How much did you get for your mk2 ph1 if you dont mind me asking got £2k for mine and it was a t plate

Cam

182 Cup
Hope you like it, personally i hate the the new clio. It looks like a micra has sh@gged a megane. Glad i bought mine when i did, but good luck all the same.

Last edited:
  172, Tiguan
I managed 126 on the revlimiter in top in my old 1.4 16v, so thats probably 116 or similar. Hasten to add this was downhill - a long downhill. lol.

MK3 D.Sport, 2.0 HDI Van
Ian:120 should be easy as i had a 1.2 mk1 at 115 and it was screamin an took a while to get there but it did so a 1.4 16 valver should get it especially with havin simlar ratios to the old clios but more power to get it there.

Chocolate Bar™
i assume you pushed it off a cliff and watched the speedo for it to get to 115 lol i could get my speedo to say 120, but we both know it wouldnt actually be 120.

trailerparktrev said:
See^^^^^^^^

Ok mate, a little confusion then as your post came straight after mine, and I was quoting the 1.4, as the thread was about the new 1.4, you failed to mention you where talking about the 1.6 in that reply ;) :)

agree the 1.6 as 110bhp and 118 top speed :)

Simon

susanamck said:
Ian:120 should be easy as i had a 1.2 mk1 at 115 and it was screamin an took a while to get there but it did so a 1.4 16 valver should get it especially with havin simlar ratios to the old clios but more power to get it there.

These are NOT true speeds though, people often make the mistake that car speedo's are very accurate, when in fact they are NOT ;) :)

120 will not be EASY as you state for a car with only 85bhp per tonne :)

Simon

B-road bully
who cares about whether it reaches 115 or 120 it all seems about the same speed anyways plus it aint very smart!