ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my mk1 cup racer blog (updates page 29)

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
cheers gaz

i remember you sending me that vid when we were sorting the sale out :D

well i got back from spain on sat night, back into work now :dead:

absolutely skint (got carried away on holiday) and still no sign of my cps sensor from omex, going to phone them later today

not really a great deal to update, i have been really busy and really skint lately so the clio has taken a bit of a back seat :(

anyway i serviced the pug at the weekend so while i was over there i fit my new sensors from omex

cps sensor and bracket

Photo0353.jpg

coolant temp sensor

Photo0354.jpg

and air temp sensor (fixed into the pipercross airbox)

Photo0355.jpg

Photo0356.jpg

a front on shot now the rad is sitting straight

Photo0357.jpg

and a pic to show how tight it is for room in there!

Photo0358.jpg

sadly thats all for now, bring on pay day!

oh forgot to mention, i have done away with the FSE FPR (ben will be pleased lol) and used the Weber one, still in the same place as the FSE though, will get pics of that soon :)

nice work :)

You got any of the standard coolant hoses by any chance?

ive got all the hoses bar the top rad hose, well i have it, but its in 2 pieces lol

Excellent work dude

Altho i would be worried about taking that out rad with road contact... might be just the picture but it looks low

yeh we were a touch concerned about that aswell :clown: those ali brackets sit about an inch or so lower than the subframe, and the bumper sits lower than that, so unless i whack the bottom of the bumper it 'should' be ok lol

your TPS is fitted wrong. you should have the plate that's on the outside, on the inside, the big hole in it centers the TPS

ah cheers danny, i'll get that changed round. i bought it like that so it must have been like that for a while on other peoples cars lol

gutted, yeh i had to shorten it due to the location of the rad, otherwise it has a dirty great kink in it, ive got to do the same with the red SFS hose, cut n shut to stop it kinking lol

yeah, well im not even sure if mine is the 172 item. goes all the way down under my clutch fork then back up the other side onto the rad lol....

IMG_6650.jpg

I was going to cut it and try and make it into just an S bend, as the inlet for the top rad on mine is only a bit lower than the thermostat housing, but it just kinks, so im on the lookout of a way around it lol

yeah seen hoses like that, but as you said I have no idea how good they are (or not) either...

I have been looking around autojumbles when ive seen them at shows for a simple 'S' shaped hose in the right diameter, from another car etc, but ive yet to come across anything....wonder if there is anywhere that would make custom silicone hoses to specific shapes/sizes?! hmmmm.

The reason I haven't bought a whole samco/or similar set is I have no heater matrix, and im running a custom pipe to loop it back instead of going from the thermostat housing to the matrix, so I didnt want to be cutting up and bodging a brand new set of silicone ones

yeah seen hoses like that, but as you said I have no idea how good they are (or not) either...

I have been looking around autojumbles when ive seen them at shows for a simple 'S' shaped hose in the right diameter, from another car etc, but ive yet to come across anything....wonder if there is anywhere that would make custom silicone hoses to specific shapes/sizes?! hmmmm.

The reason I haven't bought a whole samco/or similar set is I have no heater matrix, and im running a custom pipe to loop it back instead of going from the thermostat housing to the matrix, so I didnt want to be cutting up and bodging a brand new set of silicone ones

this is basically what i will be doing! :cool:

i think any supplier (SFS, Samco etc) will make any hose you like, its the cost that it probably the deciding factor :(

SQ5
Just read through this all again as contemplating doing my 2nd conversion :)

Going to literally lift everything engine and management wise out of my Ph1 and put it in! Just seeing the hassle its going to be by reading everyone's project thread!

a couple of pics of the revised feul pressure regulator setup, i think it looks alot neater than the FSE

Photo0359.jpg

Photo0360.jpg

Photo0361.jpg

then sunday morning, the best noise in the world.............

it runs again :D :approve: :cool:

new cps sensor from omex made all the difference!

only ran it for 10 secs as it has no coolant in it yet (still 'adjusting' the samco) but it was spitting flames out of trumpet number 1, so picked up a carb balancer on monday from the ever helpful Andyrg.

didn't get any work done monday as i was at croft spectating and having a passenger ride out in Northy's clio cup :approve: thanks again pal, was a good day out.

oh and after having a nosey at andy's car, i have decided to purchase a solid adjustable dog bone mount

means i can tilt the engine slightly, which will help the downpipe seal, clear a bit of room for my bottom rad hose, and give more room for the ITB's and pipercross airbox/filter

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
Glad you enjoyed your ride fella - get all this 172 off the car and back to a 1.8! Youll have more fun ;)

oh and after having a nosey at andy's car, i have decided to purchase a solid adjustable dog bone mount

means i can tilt the engine slightly, which will help the downpipe seal, clear a bit of room for my bottom rad hose, and give more room for the ITB's and pipercross airbox/filter

Should have done that from the start ;)

Glad you enjoyed your ride fella - get all this 172 off the car and back to a 1.8! Youll have more fun ;)

lol don't tempt me!

Should have done that from the start ;)

tbh i didn't see a need to until now, the itb's fit fine, just a touch more room would be nice, and the exhaust could be adjusted a bit more, it's just this bottom rad hose that is causing me a headache, and after seeing how much room andy has with it fitted, it made my mind up :)

I only use it for exhaust purposes to be honest, mines been spot on after trying different lengths of dogbone :)

yeh i suppose the beauty is the adjustable part for us mk1 owners

i have the ktec vibratechnics mounts so the soild part is a small bonus

no, never looked into it

is it worth it? will it make adjusting the angle of the engine more difficult? although saying that i noticed andy has one fitted....

my oil catch tank arrived today, cheaper and smaller (space is a bit of an issue) than most you can buy

Photo0362.jpg

Photo0363.jpg

and just cos im sad :eek: a pic of Richard Hammond's Morgan Aeromax in the background which i am dealing with at work :cool:

list of things to do

- borrow someones laptop and omex lead, load new map and set TPS
- see if it starts and runs better
- tidy up remaining wires
- fit catch tank
- fit samco reducer for heater matrix pipe (when it arrives)
- fit samco vacuum hose
- fit solid dogbone and adjust to give more clearance for bodies and seal downpipe better
- wire in aftermarket rev counter (one wire needed lol)
- figure out why my oil pressure and temp gauges are giving duff readings

if i had the parts i could get it all done in a day, sadly im looking at a 2 week wait for my samco bits, and then i need to borrow a laptop etc

that one wire for the rev counter would work the mk1 clocks, lol....or are you still wanting to run the aftermarket tacho?

yeh im going to have both the mk1 clocks and the aftermarket tacho working, aftermarket is velcro'd to the perspex on the clocks and can be removed and un plugged if need be :)