ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my mk1 cup racer blog (updates page 29)

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
drove it for the first time yesterday around the block, then couldn't resist and drove it home and then to work this morning :D

giving it a bit of a shakedown to see what breaks/falls off lol

rev counter under reads, so it needs the resistor, will sort that this week

suspension is very hard, finding it hard to drive quickly on 'normal' roads as it bumps and then loses traction very easily

should be good fun on track though, and that's exactly what it's for! :D:approve:

right well i tucked it up last night after driving it around all day

all went well, some noises i need to sort out (exhaust knocking/rubbing on over run, tailgate springs arent strong enough to hold it down over larger bumps, meaning it bangs, and i think the exhaust is blowing)

got caught in an uber thunderstorm on the way back, got me worried as there is nothing covering the coil pack at the min :S but it kept on running

got a vid on its first run out on sunday, up and down the bypass, revving to 5k ish only and not going above 60mph :approve: apologies for the quality but my phone was all i had on me

th_Video0023.jpg

even though i am seriously annoyed with it at the minute, one thing i love about this car is the attention it gets :cool:

i had to sit in the petrol station forecourt for hours trying to get it started, and there were alot of waves, thumbs up and smiles from various people. a biker offered to give me a push which i thought was nice :approve:

an old boy in a ferrari 288 GTO gave me a smile and then showed what a real car sounds like, it was absoulutely immaculate!

so mixed emotions it is, i love it when it works, and hate it when it doesnt :rolleyes:

Last edited:
have you got any foxy rig up wiring? :p

im putting some hours in tonight to try a few things

going to start by checking the ecu has ignition live when cranking and go from there

then going to check continuity along all the relevant wires and see if i get any bogus reading

yep primes no problem

mine did the exact same thing as foxy's wouldnt start and then the fuel pump relay clicked twice and it fired up

then drove it about 2 miles to the petrol station, wouldnt start again, and no matter what i tried it wouldnt fire up again

so frustrating :(

its an ignition feed fault im 99% sure....

replace the wires going to the perm live, ignition live, and the 3 earths....see if that helps

its an ignition feed fault im 99% sure....

replace the wires going to the perm live, ignition live, and the 3 earths....see if that helps

all to the ecu yeh?

does the ignition live for the ecu go back to the fuel pump relay? replace it just from the relay to ecu? or back to the fuse box aswell (2 yellow ignition lives come out of the same relay connection dont they)

i wonder if it could be an earth problem then, a mate of mine has had problems earthing his aftermarket ecu, and it does say to earth it seperately to all others, might be worth a try aswell?

im willing to try anything to solve it now lol

right after tonights efforts.....

basically we turned ignition on and could hear relay click etc etc, cranking then gives no voltage to the coil pack or fuel pump

i then moved the ecu from laying down on the battery tray to sitting vertical (i mainly did this so i could see the numbers on the ecu plug) and on ignition nothing happened, no relay, nothing

so leaving the ignition on i grabbed the ecu plug and gave it a twist/wiggle, sure enough in a certain spot the relay would click, and sometimes click in rapid succession where it must have been just connecting then releasing

this also explains why sometimes when i was prodding around with the multimeter probes the car would start, i tried this too, and when i pushed the probe into the ignition live pin (from the back where the wire enters) we could not get the relay to disconnect (ie the multimeter probe was holding whatever the bad connection was in the right place)

so we thought it was worth a shot to try and start it while the probe was in place, still nothing :(

so even though i can get the relay to prime, there must be another dodgy connection somewhere that isnt sending the constant signal to the coil pack and fuel pump via the relay

so the options are:

a) try another ecu (i have a spare that i can get emulated, think its about £100)

b) chop off my current ecu plug and connect another one (is this ok to do?)

c) get an auto electrician to see if he can make the connections good? risking a fairly large diagnostic charge just to be told i need a new ecu?

d) burn it to the gorund

input anyone? :clown:

'92 172, Lotus Elise
still 0v at the coil on cranking?

is the ecu sending 0v from pin 68 on cranking?

are you getting +12 at the fuel pump relay?

:edit: infact, grab me on msn and i'll run through some things with you

Last edited:
  Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
AAAHHHH! I really wish I was closer! I'd love to pop down and spend an evening looking at this as it does sound like something simple like broken wire or poor connection? And I'm sure we'd get it running no prolbems. Have you checked the resistance of the wire from the ECU to pump relay? If its high it'd probably be easyer to cut out and replace the wire, but if its ok it's more than likely just the plug connection! Can you get the wire out the ECU plug connection easily?

Moo

Moo my old fruit,

get yourself down to a train station with a pair of crimpers and some wire and ask to go NORTH

i'll meet you at leeds ;)

i checked continuity there and got 001 (thats what i remember anyway)

im going to be alot more methodical about it now, going to write down everything i check, matteh has very kindly spent alot of his time telling me things to check

looking at the ecu plug, i havent got the foggiest how to get the connections out of it :S

right, on to the next chapter :rolleyes:

basically the ecu is not sending the earth signal to the fuel pump relay on cranking, after talking to matteh we think it might be:

a) ecu not getting crank signal

b) emulator not sending out immo signal to ecu

c) the ecu isn't getting another input it needs (whatever that might be)

after doing tests on everything i can think of, i think its time for some diagnostics

so today i have ordered an OBDII port from josh at cliospares, going to rig that up then get my mates diagnostic equipment and see what it throws up

'92 172, Lotus Elise
ermmm

it's in my thread somewhere :eek:

best off bugging f0xy, he has it written up in a nice neat pdf somewhere :D

its 2 wires to the ecu
1 for power
and 2 earths

I do indeed have the PDF...il get it later if you need it

I tried two crank sensors, wasnt that....also ran the ECU as just a circuit board and tested the emu on cranking etc, it had power/earth and was outputting as it should....

I had some errors logged on mine, some relay fault and an ignition constant feed fault....but god knows

what was your emulator outputting on cranking foxy?

i tested that last night with the ecu open like yourself and im pretty sure mine didnt output anything at all?!?!? :S

do you know if the fuel pump will still prime even if the immobiliser is still 'armed'

ive asked this in the electronic section but not had a reply as yet

my other option is to try my ecu on someone elses car, anyone up for that?

yes the pump will still prime if the immob is active, then it wont run when cranking, nor will the injectors....had this when i didnt have the emu at all

well this is exactly what mine is doing

i will check the emulator output again and see if there is anything there, but im 99% sure there wasnt

the only reason it wouldnt output really is if it had intermittent power, or an intermittent earth....thats what I thought mine was originally....but it turned out it wasnt

im hoping diagnostics will point me in the right direction

when you re-wired yours, did you just chop wires near the ecu then route them to wherever they go, or did you remove the connections out of the ecu plug and then refit them?

don't suppose you could send me that wiring pdf jord? :)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I chopped mine about 15cm from the plug and extended each wire

warning: it takes bloody hours!! :dapprove:

well phase 2 has begun! already! roffle

i think space is about to get even tighter in my engine bay :evil:

i have a feeling i might just wish i had done this in the first place, all those hours of splicing/soldering the looms together........wasted :dead:

live and learn eh :rolleyes:

Last edited:
god knows when its going to be back on the road :(

the list of things to do (after having an empty list about a month ago might i add)

- remove standard inlet, plenum, fuel rail, rad, coolant hoses, loom, ecu etc etc
- fit new sfs hoses
- fit new rad, or if the one i have doesnt fit, find one that does
- fit jenvey ITB's and make sure there is enough room for bonnet etc (i'm doubtful tbh)
- possibly relocate mocal oil cooler
- fit omex loom with ecu under dash

then the bits i really NEED to do myself but would rather pay a company to do (but i'm skint so at the moment this isn't even an option :()

- fit cat cam 421's and time up (belt was changed not so long back so i should be ok with re-using it)

and then the bit i don't have a choice with (HAS to be done by a professional)

- map omex to suit the 421's and get the ITB's set up and balanced

it's not time i'm short of now, its money :(

having the cams fitted by a proffesional is gonna cost me, as is the mapping, but that's a necessity so i don't mind that

any suggestions? :clown:

Get Rig Up Racing on the case lol

Im in the same boat (ish)... I could get my car running now and use it but rather have it how i want it... no rush... yours is going to be awesome x1000

'92 172, Lotus Elise
can you still not get it working on the standard stuff? :(

would be nice to be able to use it whilst your'e saving up :dapprove:

Get Rig Up Racing on the case lol

Im in the same boat (ish)... I could get my car running now and use it but rather have it how i want it... no rush... yours is going to be awesome x1000

funnily ive just been speaking to a rig up bad boy, now looking at fitting cams ourselves (we did the cambelt on this one the first time round and its been fine, just a bit more involved fitting the cams)

i'm always in a rush to get things finished :eek: i think it's because the whole thing has gone on so long (including the blue one) i just want it to be done now

can you still not get it working on the standard stuff? :(

would be nice to be able to use it whilst your'e saving up :dapprove:

it would be lovely to still use it, i suppose i could wire up this obdII port and have a bash at diagnostics?

BMW M5 & E36
Wow, another ITB'd F4r Mk1, very cool. With added coolness because of it being a cup car! :cool:

Will the standard Ph1 fuel rail be spare? :eek: