ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My missus is a doofus

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all

The other half managed to bump another Clio earlier on, just some light scrapes to the front of my 172 (I'm guessing it was less than 5mph)

She, in her infinite wisdom, gave her details but didn't get any back

Also didn't take any pictures :/

Apparently the guy tried to depress the button on the boot, which pushed all the way (apparently) but the boot wouldn't leave up

No marks on the guys bumper, no dents anyway

Is it possible it could have creased the boot floor or knocked the tailgate out, or something?

Clutching at straws tbh, have zero details and infinite variables

She said he was a bit dopey, so it might well be he still had his keys in the ignition when he tried to open the boot

It is possible she's creased the back panel/maybe even the boot floor without leaving any real marks on the outside, seen it happen on a few rear ended Clios.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
It is possible she's creased the back panel/maybe even the boot floor without leaving any real marks on the outside, seen it happen on a few rear ended Clios.

That's what I'm fearing tbh, my insurance is s**t enough as it is without her causing damage :/

Stripped yozza'd cup
Surely if she was driving, your insurance won't be affected?

I'd say if it was very very unlikely that his boot would be damaged to the point where it wouldn't open, without there being some visible damage to the bodywork. Also, a bit of a odd thing to check if you're in a minor accident..... Just trying to pull a fast one I would say.... However, it appears it may have worked. If she's got no evidence to say otherwise, then he will probably get away with that.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member

I'd say if it was very very unlikely that his boot would be damaged to the point where it wouldn't open, without there being some visible damage to the bodywork. Also, a bit of a odd thing to check if you're in a minor accident..... Just trying to pull a fast one I would say.... However, it appears it may have worked. If she's got no evidence to say otherwise, then he will probably get away with that.

It's my policy mate, she's a named driver

Already told her she's a tard for not getting any details

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member

It's my policy mate, she's a named driver

Already told her she's a tard for not getting any details

Stripped yozza'd cup
I didn't realise it worked like that, I thought whoever was driving was held accountable.

Did he literally get out of the car and go straight to check the boot?

Ph2 Clio 172
My boot wouldn't open after being rear ended. Button went all the way in.

There is a very noticable dent in the back of my car though!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
An update to this.. the guy finally got back to us on Sunday night, and then last night with pictures of the damage

IMG00251-20110418-1736.jpg

IMG00252-20110418-1737.jpg

IMG00253-20110418-1738.jpg

IMG00254-20110418-1738.jpg

IMG00255-20110418-1738.jpg

What do we reckon? Could a less than 5mph bump (with no damage on my car, just some slight scratching of the paint) do that?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yip, the Clio rear is imfamous. Oh and remember it was your missus that was driving... 5mph = 15mph.

Check to see if the quarter on the l/h is kinked.

As an assessor it's pretty fooked but easily reapirable.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers gally

The first quote the guy has got is about a grand, I believe

Is that a decent price, just looking at those pictures?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed mate, the little 51 plate Clio I just assessed last week came out at £1425.

Exact same damage.

200 FF Storm Grey
Can't believe it's done that to it, she must of been hit alot harder than 5mph, tin foil would hold up better than that at 5 mph

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Debating whether to ask him for more quotes now, if it turns out that a G is a good price!

Indeed mate, no harm in asking for maybe 2 quotes even then picking the cheapest. I'm guessing it's going through insurance or are you trying to avoid that?

Can't believe it's done that to it, she must of been hit alot harder than 5mph, tin foil would hold up better than that at 5 mph
Don't be so sure dude.

200 FF Storm Grey
It's a Clio. A chinky tin is more robust.

Body panel wise they are, but structurally they always seem to hold up fairly well in accidents (well compared to most small hatch backs anyway), makes you wonder whether it was already like that from an earlier accident as he's just trying it on :\

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
It might well be but the fact is you couldn't do that kind of damage reversing so i'm sure they would have claimed off the previous hit, barring a hit and run.

I'd say it was her all day long.

They are structurally sound, that's why they crumple like that. There is no rear beam on the clios like most cars these days.

I love Lamp
That sucks mate, atleast your car hasn't come out of it as badly. It does look like just loose dirt knocked down into that crease too more than rusted up as you said.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
you think yours is a doofus, iwas watching a film a while ago and the american actor says something like, "there must be 500lbs of explosives there" at which point she turns to me and says, "£500 seems expensive for a bomb", well.. i did actually ROFL haha

you think yours is a doofus, iwas watching a film a while ago and the american actor says something like, "there must be 500lbs of explosives there" at which point she turns to me and says, "£500 seems expensive for a bomb", well.. i did actually ROFL haha

LOL!

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
i assume this is being settled out of insurance?

a grand is a damn good estimate for that!

plus an insurance co. would have him in a hire car because of the damaged boot floor, pushing the cost of the claim right up!

i say get him paid out asap and count yourself lucky! lol

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I fear for the education system

The dickheads estimate over the phone of "about a grand" is in actual fact 1.6k, inc VAT

Going to tell him to get more quotes from less pikey garages

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
That sounds like a fair quote using Audatex.

If you want me to look at them for you mate take some pictures and i'll give you my pro opinion.