ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My mates just found out his car is cat c

monaco 172
Does anyone on here have any more information about the BG182FF (YA04 AVY)? This clio has had 6 previous owners and at least one or two must have been members on here...
Wow I can't believe this.

I Owned this car for over 3 years, from around 2011 to 2014ish and had no idea it had been written off previously lol.

There were no signs of any structural damage and all the body work was perfect.

Silly me, should have done a HPI check at the time.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
when i bought my 172 In 2010 three out of the five I looked at had been previously written off.

Two of those the owners didn't know about it (or made out they didn't know).

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You can do a quick and cheeky check for free on Autotrader.
Click through to list a car for sale and stick the registration of the car you're interested into the site, it will indicate if it's a write-off or not.

No charges, don't even need to register, takes 30 seconds.

Arnie

ClioSport Trader
  BMW 550i
whats this site all about, does it give you a quick insurance register check for free. Can't be right can it?

eg put this cars reg in and it comes up with a warning.

Sorry to jump in uninvited but I can explain what is vcheck.uk as this is my website;)

It is very similar to any other Car Checking site like HPI with one exception, we pull records from salvage auction sites and link to images if there is a record available.

The one major thing we discovered so far there are many cars which are UNRECORDED on HPI but still were subject to heavy accidents. There is plenty of cars which were through salvage and for some reason, they were supposed to be insurance writeoff but somehow marked disappeared from HPI.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Sorry to jump in uninvited but I can explain what is vcheck.uk as this is my website;)

It is very similar to any other Car Checking site like HPI with one exception, we pull records from salvage auction sites and link to images if there is a record available.

The one major thing we discovered so far there are many cars which are UNRECORDED on HPI but still were subject to heavy accidents. There is plenty of cars which were through salvage and for some reason, they were supposed to be insurance writeoff but somehow marked disappeared from HPI.
Is that your thread on cutters about the same topic

Clio 197,with megan'
My Meglio is a cat C, and I have seen the original damage.It had new wing/bonnet/bumper, and I am fine with that.No problem with a cat C, providing damage was repaired properly.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Mrs' new civic is a cat C, or a cat N whatever it is now. It's never been repaired and the damage can be seen in this picture

Other than swapping the rear light I wont be doing anything else to it as it sits on Tesco car park every day getting battered anyway

Aslong as you know the damage, and pay accordingly, then there's nothing wrong with categorised cars IMO

Arnie

ClioSport Trader
  BMW 550i
My Meglio is a cat C, and I have seen the original damage.It had new wing/bonnet/bumper, and I am fine with that.No problem with a cat C, providing damage was repaired properly.

I have no issues with write-offs as I bought every single car I had as write off. Problem is when things are removed or not put on the register and HPI tells you car is accident-free, but my site will tell you otherwise in hundreds of cases, such as one below:

d4c454e30ebd49fab086df9062480965.jpg

Vcheck Salvage report: https://www.vcheck.uk/report/EY16USX-6SRIOTX/

573286b4-98d1-48b6-9cc8-8002f9dd4094.jpg

1dcf1d17-a02a-4dbe-bc2e-b267e21e8cb9.jpg

Arnie

ClioSport Trader
  BMW 550i

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Aslong as you know the damage, and pay accordingly, then there's nothing wrong with categorised cars IMO

Yes the only issue is they are worth less money than a non-cat car.

Like @mierzwin says the real problem is paying top money for a supposedly accident free car thats clearly had a big smash.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Oh indeed. Proper c***s trick that is

It's where the good money is though, only marginal gains to be made fixing and selling a write-off, but if you can get your hands on an un-recorded car there's decent cash to be made putting it back together and selling it for market rate.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Is it anything to do with these insurance policies where if the car is in an accident in the first 6/12 months then the car is replaced with a new one? The amount of damage may not be enough to warrant a total loss but the car is taken away.

Arnie

ClioSport Trader
  BMW 550i
Is it anything to do with these insurance policies where if the car is in an accident in the first 6/12 months then the car is replaced with a new one? The amount of damage may not be enough to warrant a total loss but the car is taken away.

Somone with enough resources should investigate those HPI clear ones.

If they were not total loss why would salvage company be told differently and put writeoff description in the listing?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
It could be that the car is worth more being sold as un-recorded, the policy holder still gets a payout but they don't write off the car, just flog as-is ???

How different are CAT U cars from any one thats been insurance repaired (and not written off) ??
The mrs fucked her last two company cars up big-time, both had multiple panels, bumpers and doors replaced during her ownership - yet each one would read HPI clear??

Is it more a case that you've no idea how well a CAT U car has been repaired?

Arnie

ClioSport Trader
  BMW 550i
It could be that the car is worth more being sold as un-recorded, the policy holder still gets a payout but they don't write off the car, just flog as-is ???

How different are CAT U cars from any one thats been insurance repaired (and not written off) ??
The mrs fucked her last two company cars up big-time, both had multiple panels, bumpers and doors replaced during her ownership - yet each one would read HPI clear??

Is it more a case that you've no idea how well a CAT U car has been repaired?

Cat U is a different story. There is about 70K of them each year sold via auctions. All those examples above were listed as Cat S on salvage yard and that info had to come from somewhere. Yet still all are HPI Clear.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Holy s**t, that car got completely fucked up!!

All those examples above were listed as Cat S on salvage yard and that info had to come from somewhere. Yet still all are HPI Clear.

Thats properly dodgy isn't it?
Is it the insurance companies doing dodgy stuff?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
This is quite recent: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113673278578

View attachment 1409667

It does say it is HPI Clear, but not clear on vCheck:

It came out of salvage auction just on 30th Jan 2019!

View attachment 1409668
I'd be tempted to ask the seller on ebay if its ever been in a crash and see what they say. Someone do it

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Just asked the question.

Listing is dodgy anyway, judging by the language used I’d say they have a low IQ or English isn’t their first language.

Listed by Pellonmotorz but description is showing as MS Cars (Halifax). Which is it? I’d say it’s a one man dealer where many of these are selling from the same site, changing names every few months to avoid comeback.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Just asked the question.

Listing is dodgy anyway, judging by the language used I’d say they have a low IQ or English isn’t their first language.

Listed by Pellonmotorz but description is showing as MS Cars (Halifax). Which is it? I’d say it’s a one man dealer where many of these are selling from the same site, changing names every few months to avoid comeback.
Replied to say the car did have damage but wasn’t recorded on HPI. They also said the car had sold, wonder if I’d have got a different answer if it was for sale? They didn’t state the amount of damage but I also didn’t ask for that detail so can’t complain about that.

Arnie

ClioSport Trader
  BMW 550i
Replied to say the car did have damage but wasn’t recorded on HPI. They also said the car had sold, wonder if I’d have got a different answer if it was for sale? They didn’t state the amount of damage but I also didn’t ask for that detail so can’t complain about that.

Maybe they are registered here :D And saw your posts :D

Arnie

ClioSport Trader
  BMW 550i
There is no way the current owner knows anything about this car's history as he got it 5 months ago. Still, by running reports on my site you can find it was via Copart twice, on the first occasion it was badly damaged, second time already fixed. It looks like it was sitting in storage for 2 years as well after being bought by some trader as next owner following salvage auction was in 2017.

Would you get this kind of detail from HPI ? :)

s-l1600.png

Photo from the first crash, more in the link above:

c0b1e403-6457-46f5-9b24-98495706f214.jpg

Reactions: Gus

Arnie

ClioSport Trader
  BMW 550i

Arnie

ClioSport Trader
  BMW 550i
Go through the project threads and run regs through your program :unsure::LOL:

I could do it but I feel everyone should just go and check their cars, it will tell you for free if it was on salvage;) I have to pay each time I run ANPR as research across on sale adverts.

In regards to examples as above. Got plenty more, just have not enough time in my life to post them all